main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padu, KY Since all things Star Wars have come to a close this year....what else?

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by SithMonger, Dec 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithMonger

SithMonger Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 1, 2005
    New post from a new member.

When we can't have Star Wars, what other things can we come together and talk about as a community? I want to explore that in this topic.

First, I'm looking for input on some of the better movies of 2005. I know everyone has their own interests, but sometimes we hestitate on watching a movie until someone else suggests it.
    Also, this could be a great place for Star Wars fans to meet up for other movies - I think going to movies in groups is fun and if we could do that every once in a while, it won't seem like we're all too focused on SW - even though we all know we are. Even though we'd like every movie out there to be Star Wars, we just can't have that, so what else are we to do? Obviously, we all became addicted to SW because of the movies, so in that fashion, what other movies can help supply the great entertainment void left in the wake of SW even if it's not SW?

Here are my recommendations, if you haven't seen them. Some are out on video now and are not in any order. If any would like my reviews on any of them, please let me know.

Batman Begins - awesome!
    The Island - great surprise action film!
    Fantastic Four - good fun for us Marvel fans.
    King Kong - well done with some of the best FX I've seen.
    Chronicles of Narnia - very satisfying for me as a fan of the book from many, many years ago.
    Sin City - if anyone's seen the extended cut, tell me if it adds any more to the excellence
    Motorcycle Diaries (this one is foreign drama, but very good if you like story-driven tales)
    In Good Company - this one is a misnomer from the rest, but a good flick
    The Pacifier - great family movie
    Four Brothers - good urban flick with violence
    Mr. and Mrs. Smith - take it for what it is...fun!
    A History of Violence - a very simple movie and very short, but very real and touching
    The Weatherman - well, this one had meaning to me but I know it's not everyone's cup of tea.
    Harry Potter IV - I've never read the books but am entertained by the movies every time.
    and, of course, without even need of mentioning, Star Wars Episode III - Revenge of the Sith - we all have our opinions about that but I will say that for the most part, I loved it.

Worth Honorable mention are War of the Worlds, Unleashed, and Domino although not as good.

Granted I haven't seen everything out there. Some I haven't seen that I hear are very good are Crash, Cinderella Man, Walk the Line, The Ring 2, Saw II (I still haven't seen Saw), Devil's Rejects, The 40-Year Old Virgin, The Wedding Crashers, Sky High, Lord of War, Flightplan, Serenity, and most recently Syriana and Yours, Mine, and Ours. So, you guys can let me know. Maybe we need to limit this topic to SciFi or action movies, but that's not all I want to talk about here anyway. Keep reading.

Here's my other recommendation regarding movies - make sure you find out which theater you're going to be sitting in. If it's something with action or a great soundtrack, you don't want the crappy theater. Paducah has 7 of it's 12 that I can stand. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong - 1,2,11, and 12 are the best. 3, 4, and 10 are second, I think. And the rest suck. Cape i'm not sure and Murray I've never been to. Second, go when kids could not possibly go - either the last show of the day or when most would be at daycare or school. I have kids and love kids, but people don't think sometimes and bring their kids to movies they should not or let their kids act wild or scream and have fits throughout the viewing. LordINVAR and I had a horrible experience during King Kong. An old grandpa brought three kids, which I couldn't even tell were his, and they sat down on our same row then proceeded to run up and down the stairs and get up time and time again, talking and stomping. It wasn't pretty. There should be a ban. But, to let you know how King Kong was, the kids almost, but did not ruin the movie entirely. I mean, this was one of the worst times with kids in a movie I've even been around, but the movie still was excellent. I had a similar ex

2. TKYTROOPER

TKYTROOPER Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 18, 2005
    I AGREE THAT MY LOVE OF STAR WARS AND LOVE OF MOVIES IN GENERAL GO HAND IN HAND. YES, NOT ALL MOVIES CAN BE STAR WARS BUT THERE ARE A FEW GOOD ONES EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE. I HAVE TO SAY THAT MOST OF WHAT COMES OUT OF HOLLYWOOD LATELY IS JUST HORRIBLE BUT THERE WERE A FEW GOOD ONES THIS YEAR. MY FAVES OF THE LAST YEAR THAT I CAN THINK OF WERE:

SIN CITY-- VERY TRUE TO THE GRAPHIC NOVELS AND A GREAT USE OF THE DIGITAL FORMAT. I GOT TO MEET FRANK MILLER THIS YEAR AND HE SEEMED LIKE A PRETTY COOL GUY. OUTSIDE OF LUCAS AND RODRIGUEZ I WONDER WHEN THE REST OF THE FILM MAKERS WILL REALIZE THAT SHOOTING IN DIGITAL IS THE FUTURE? I HAVE THE SPECIAL EDITION, BUT HAVEN'T GOT TO WATCH IT YET. HIGH HOPES THOUGH.

THE DEVIL'S REJECTS-- I HAVE TO SAY I LOVE THIS FILM. I ALSO LIKED HOUSE OF A 1000 CORPSES BUT FOR DIFFERENT REASONS. TO SAY THAT THIS IS A SEQUEL TO THIS FILM IS WRONG. IT DOES SHARE SOME OF THE MAIN CHARACTERS BUT IS A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT TYPE OF MOVIE. ALOT OF PEOPLE I TALKED TO THAT DIDN'T LIKE "CORPSES" WOULN'T GIVE THIS FILM A CHANCE. THE TWO ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT IN LOOK AND TONE. "CORPSES" WAS LIKE A 70'S SLASHER/HORROR FLICK, COMPARED TO A GRITTY ROAD MOVIE SET SOMEWHERE BETWEEN THE LATE 70'S AND EARLY 80'S THAT IS "REJECTS". I REALLY LIKE ZOMBIE'S STUFF YOU CAN TELL HE IS MAKEING MOVIES THAT HE WANTS TO SEE NOT WHAT SOME HOLLYWOOD SUIT THINKS HE CAN MAKE A MINT OFF OF.

WALK THE LINE-- GREAT FILM. I HAD MIXED FEELINGS GOING INTO THIS ONE. I REALLY HOPED THEY GOT IT RIGHT BUT WASN'T TOO IMPRESSED WITH THE CASTING. I HAVE TO SAY I WAS DEAD WRONG. I THOUGHT PHEONIX AND WITHERSPOON WERE GREAT. HOPE TO SEE AN OSCAR OUT OF THIS ONE.

LORDS OF DOGTOWN-- GOOD FILM. I HAVE TO SAY THAT I LOVE THE DOCUMENARY BY STACEY PEROLTA "DOGTOWN AND Z BOYS" BUT THIS DID A PRETTY GOOD JOB TELLING THAT STORY IN A NARRATIVE WAY. IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THIS OR THE DOCUMENTARY GIVE IT A TRY.

I THOUGHT BATMAN BEGINS WAS ALRIGHT. I REALLY LIKED THE FIRST HALF OF THE FILM. THE ORIGIN STUFF WAS GOOD. I THOUGHT THE LAST HALF WAS REALLY LACKING. I STILL LONG FOR THE DAY OF A BATMAN MOVIE WHERE BATMAN LOOKS LIKE BATMAN. I WANT TO SEE A FRANK MILLER BATMAN WITH GREY AND BLACK/BLUE COSTUME NOT SOME LAME RUBBER SUIT. I THOUGH FANTASTIC FOUR WAS PRETTY WEAK. IT WAS SOMEWHAT ENTERTAINING BUT IF I WERE A BIG MARVEL FAN I WOULD HAVE BEEN REALLY DISAPPOINTED.

I HAVE YET TO SEE NARNIA OR KONG BUT PLAN TO SOON. SOME OTHER STUFF I WANT TO SEE BUT WE DIDN'T GET OR I MISSED WERE: A SCANNER DARKLY, MIRROR MASK, CORPSE BRIDE.

TWO OF MY FRIENDS AND I HAVE STARTED A SMALL FILM COMPANY HERE LOCALLY AND HAVE SHOT SEVERAL SHORT FILMS. WE HAVE WON SOME LOCAL FILM FESTS AND PLAYED AT EVENTS IN PADUCAH, MURRAY, AND LOUISVILLE. WE HAVE POSTED FILMS ON 'TRIGGERSTREET' AND ARE WORKING ON ONE NOW FOR 'THE INDEPENDANT FILM CHANNEL'. SO YEAH I LOVE TO TALK MOVIES STAR WARS OR OTHERWISE.

3. SithMonger

SithMonger Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 1, 2005
    TKYTROOPER,

Wow! I'd like to help with any films you guys are doing. Tell me more about yourself. Sent me a private message or I can get you an email. I'm really interested in movies and was just about to go into film school before my life got redirected about 8 years ago. I have shot several things and have great experience with editing. Let me know if I can help in any way but would definitely be interested in doing something with you guys. Hope to hear back from you!

I'll definitely have to check out Devi's Rejects! Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.