main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So it goes - The Kurt Vonnegut Discussion Thread.

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by DarthYama, Aug 31, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthYama

DarthYama Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2001
    I'm pretty sure there isn't one already.

I read Slaughterhouse 5, The Sirens of Titan, and Cat's Cradle. The thing I've noticed is there is connections between each book, such as a reference to Rumfoord in Cat's Cradle, and the alien from Tramalfadore in both Slaughterhouse 5 and The Sirens of Titan. Slaughterhouse 5 is my favorite so far. So it goes.

2. Ariana Lang

Ariana Lang Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 10, 1999
    My favorite is Sirens of Titan and the Harmoniums and all that. But yes, Vonnegut does tie all his books together, and the name "Rumfoord" is used from Sirens of Titan on. He loves putting characters from old books into new ones. In fact, out of all the books I've read, the only character I HAVEN'T seen mentioned outside their own book is Billy Pilgrim. Hmmmm...maybe because it's a reflection on Vonnegut himself.

But the author shows up in every single one, Rumfoord does, he always mentions the wife from "Breakfast of Champions" and how she killed herself by drinking cleaning fluid or something like that...and the Tralfalmadorians also first showed up in Sirens Of Titan -- although they were slightly different because I believe they were more robotic aliens than they were in Slaughterhouse 5 -- my second favorite novel.

BTW, has anyone been able to get through TimeQuake? I read the first 5 chapters of it and couldn't figure out where the heck he was going so I quit.

3. SCOTSSITHLORD

SCOTSSITHLORD Jedi Master star 2

May 19, 2002
    I'd recommend Player piano and Hocus Pocus as good examples of Vonnegut's unique style.
    Having said that my favourite remains Slaughterhouse 5, which is comic and tragic by turns. It veers between the inspired lunacy of aliens kidnapping a dentist in order to mate him with a gorgeous female, to the vivid description of the aftermath of the fire bombing of Dresden, which Vonnegut witnessed whilst serving in WW2.
    I once read a Vonnegut book, more a collection of his essays and thoughts, the name of which escapes me, which went into a lot of biographical detail, about his mother's suicide, his own battle with depression, his thoughts on Dresden, Hiroshima and Nagasaki, which helped give an insight into his writing and subject matter.

4. Mcily_Nochi

Mcily_Nochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 23, 2001
    I've only read Cat's Cradle, but I absolutely adored it! And that was at the age of fourteen-- all young teenagers should be required to read it. ;)

My school library also has Slaughterhouse 5. Is it as good as Cat's Cradle?

5. DarthYama

DarthYama Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2001
    Yes it is.

6. Ariana Lang

Ariana Lang Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 10, 1999
    Better than Cat's Cradle. I'm not a huge fan of Cat's Cradle. I felt there wasn't much of a climax. It was like...la la la...ice...la la. (yawn). I suggest Slaughterhouse 5 and Sirens of Titan.

7. yodafett999

yodafett999 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 24, 2000
    Slaughterhouse was okay but it didn't hold my interest. Cat's Cradle was fantastic. Sirens of Titan was fantastic. Player Piano was one of my favorites as a kid. I really enjoyed Breakfast of Champions, as well.

My advice is to check out any of those but to seek out his short story collections as well. Welcome to the Monkey House is a good one :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.