main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So let me get this right, bumbum and boob is ok, but F word is bad?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by darth_boy, Aug 24, 2011.

1. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Unfortunate, but not really a function of the JCC rules.

If someone wants to share a photo that is not online, they have to put it online. If you want to share something outside the board rules, you have to put it online elsewhere.

2. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    The lyrics you want to use have a great deal of profanity and words that simply aren't allowed here, just as many photos would never be allowed here because of their content.

3. darth_boy

darth_boy Jedi Grand Master star 7

Apr 1, 2001
    KW you have no idea about the content of the lyrics because I have never posted them. Stop judging.

Well what the rules say, and what users do are totally different.
    The rules are fairly strict on providing warnings.
    Most blog, news type links or youtube videos with swearing; no one ever posts a warning. By the letter of the law that's a warning for most people on the JC.

So basically me jotting down a Lil Wayne lyric from a freestyle he just spit, uploading a picture of it, and sharing that in the hiphop thread (with a NSFW warning) would be ok?

4. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    KW, why don't you take a step back and let the admins and mods handle this.

5. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Why don't you leave the moderating to moderators and also mind your own business?

6. darth_boy

Apr 1, 2001
    Dude this is meant to be a serious discussion. Like I said if you have a problem with anyones posts take it to somewhere private, you seem very confrontational. For someone who doesn't post on the JC you're overly passionate and upset about a minor thread.

7. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Seriously... take a deep breath, or a bubble bath... something, geez.

8. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Please stop patronizing me, as difficult a task as that may be.

I'm a photographer and have a clear interest in this discussion, as well as some knowledge beyond just "that's a good/bad picture," for whatever that knowledge is worth. That's where my interest and emotions come from. I certainly don't apologize for getting emotional about it.

9. darth_boy

Apr 1, 2001
    You were basically patronising me about hiphop.

10. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    I'm sure it's great and it clearly is popular. It just doesn't fit the board's form and guidelines the way you would like. There's nothing patronizing about that. There are dozens, perhaps hundreds, of terrific photographers who could not post much of their work here. That's not an indictment of them. It's just the limitations of the rules here.

11. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Actually, yes. It's the same principle. You're doing it in one thread, providing an embedded link with a warning, just as we're asking the photography thread to do. That way, people are warned that it will contain language and as long as it's not excessive (like we're doing in the photography thread), it should be alright.

Josh, I know you're passionate about the topic, but it feels an awful lot like you're really attacking db right now. Let's please stop the back and forth and discuss the issue calmly.

12. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    As you wish, of course. I trust you to handle things, as you always have :).

13. darth_boy

Apr 1, 2001
    Cool that's all I wanted; consistency. Thanks.

14. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    Welcome.

15. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Personally, I find this post quite ironic, as "confrontational" and "overly passionate" are accurate descriptions of your first two posts in this thread. That being said, I think Kate's pretty much explained the gist of what our position is on this issue, which came after a good solid discussion in MS.

16. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    Yessssss yesssssss to Grimby you listen! He knows all about making confrontational posts.

17. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    Okay, now, everyone can be done with the personal jabs and commentaries.

18. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    My 2 cents on all of this: I really believe, considering all the circumstances (an older, smaller population of regular users), the JC really should be a rated 'R' board when it comes to language. Salty language isn't the end of the world, and not everyone would all of a sudden begin using it here. Of course, it won't happen, and that's no big deal. Despite inconsistencies/problems this board has, it still works in my humble opinion. It's a great place, and will always find a way to defend posting here. However, many, many things are taken too seriously (I've been guilty of this in the past) around here, which leads to needless drama such as this.

Viva Los Angeles![face_flag]

19. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Although I agree that the general people here are full grown adults, we do have a few young teenagers on the JC and even more in the other forums.

20. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    Right. I don't agree that we need to open up the floodgates to allow profanity, violence, etc. here. There are still too many younger kids here that I feel we need to keep it out of the general conversation. I think we can loosen up on some things (starring out offending 'f's) but, overall, I don't think we need to allow profanity for it to be a fun place to hang.

21. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Ditto on that. I curse occasionally, and am not offended by it for the most part, but from what I've seen on other sites, it tends to affect the whole atmosphere of the place when it's a free for all, especially on a board this large. I have scary visions of 4chan and YouTube comments in my head. Somewhere in the middle works nice. A little like a work atmosphere where you wouldn't say a curse word every other word, and you wouldn't say the really bad ones, but the innocuous words and the odd word here and there for emphasis aren't bad.

22. darth_boy

Apr 1, 2001
    Sure but it just seems totally bizarre to "lighten up" on one particular rule for one particular user. Most other things you need to "lighten up" on can not even get debated without being shot down.

23. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    But it wasn't done arbitrarily. We got a PM, discussed it in the MS and felt it would be alright. There's been plenty of policies we've updated, changed or implemented because someone has asked.

24. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    It's true. BobTheGoon singlehandedly brought public execution standards against any use of the word 'retarded' when it had been commonly accepted the day before. Stuff like language gets modified as individual cases arise. I wouldn't act too stunned by this development.

25. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Haha, lol @ Myke!!!

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/Arcee-D2/0058d676.jpg]