main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I.E., CA some thoughts on the force

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by AquaDude, Jul 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AquaDude

AquaDude Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 30, 2003
    Well, I know that some have Questioned ratio of "hard core" to "Camp" postings, so I will try to bring up the "I've never thought of that, nor would i ever" quotiant.

It occurs to me that the prophacy to "bring balance to the force" is a verry interesting one because unlike a prophacy you may expect, i.e. 'and the light side will defeate the dark side and everything will be good', we have one where the light and dark sides become equal.
    Here is my spin on it: I think that the Force is one large entaty with both creator (light) and Destroyer (dark) parts. This Force does not seem to care what part is worshiped at any time, but that the two sides are equal. I think that the force only wants to be recognized and worshiped, i.e. the Ithorians worship the forest, or more specificly the "life" in the forest which some could argue is also what we call the force.
    But why would the force want to get in the way of the Jedi, and reduce their numbers? because, much like the Pharacies in first century Judiasm, ther Jedi have become so enamoured, and so dependant on "The Code" that they have lost sight of the force itself.
    I appologize that this was so long, and there is plenty more where that came from, but I will let you guys chew on this for a while. I invite questions and comments, and we'll see how this goes.

2. OddeBogodde

OddeBogodde Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 24, 2002
    your half right. The force isn't a living breathing entity that thinks. The Force IS everything. In order for anything to exist successfully it must maintain a balance. We see this in real life too....buddhist monks seek to achieve spiritual balance. The Force is just like any myth through out the millenia. The Force didn't decide that it wanted to kill the Jedi becuase they were so powerful, it didn't decide anything. Anakin was created by the force, according to Lucas, this is true, but it was not a concious decision. It was more like a reaction to an imbalance. Much like our bodies reactions to a chemical imbalance is to send white blood T-cells to the area of infection, to make things whole, balance once again. This is why soo many people sympathize and identify with the Force, its so similar to everything we see in nature, be it human nature, or geological nature.

3. Rogue_Granger

Rogue_Granger Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2003
    Yin and Yang....both sides are necessary...

4. OddeBogodde

Dec 24, 2002
    ok court, but that doesn't have anything to do with our conversation. We weren't talking about the difference between light and dark.

5. Rogue_Granger

Mar 10, 2003
    yeah it does... it's Yin and Yang...both sides are needed to create a balance....basically reinforcing what you were saying...

6. obi_wan_kanathan

obi_wan_kanathan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 10, 2001
    I don't know. If balancing the force was supposed to mean that there would be an equal number of Jedi and Sith, why would the jedi want it to happen?

I think that the Sith are the ones that create the imbalance, and so in ROTJ, Anakin finally fulfills the prophecy by destroying the Sith.

7. OddeBogodde

Dec 24, 2002
    there is no light or dark side sweetheart, there is only the force. Light, Dark, it's all about perception.......the truly enlightened realize this. Vergere, Jacen...they are among the very few who do.

8. Rogue_Granger

Mar 10, 2003
    no there isn't light or darkness...it's up to the human to bring those characteristics. It's up to humans to decide how they use the force...I understand that...sorry if I misinterpreted your conversation ;)

9. OddeBogodde

Dec 24, 2002
    the jedi didn't want this. They have no control over the force in this aspect. Balance is not about the amount of Jedi or Sith. It is about Balance in the Force itself. It wasn't the number of Jedi that created an imbalance, it was their "purity", their belief that their way of thinking of the Force was the correct way that created the imbalance. The Force is not about light, or dark. Only those that can achieve a balance between the two can truly understand the Force for what it is.

10. obi_wan_kanathan

obi_wan_kanathan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 10, 2001
    Ah ok, I think I get it now.

Let's see. So Anakin brought balance to the force by getting rid of both the arrogent Jedi, and the evil Sith.

11. OddeBogodde

Dec 24, 2002
    Or Luke did, it depends on how you want to look at it. I think it was anakin, he killed all the Jedi, and then he destroyed the "Last" of the Sith. The reason I say "Last", is becuase the darkside will always return. That and the Emperor cloned himself a bazillion times. It depends on whether you want to acknowledge the EU and Kevin J. Andersons piece o' crap writing. He ruined SW, and now he is ruining Dune, along with Frank Herberts son.

12. AquaDude

Apr 30, 2003
    I think the reason that the jedi wanted the prophacy to come true, was because they really did no know what the prophacy really ment. the funny thing about prophacy is that it dousn't make sence untill after it happenes.
    And odd' How do you know that the force has no conciousness? (I'm not attacking you, just want to know)

13. OddeBogodde

Dec 24, 2002
    there is no evidence to contradict my idea. I'm not positive. Only GL knows for sure. No where in any of the movies or EU does the Force manifest in a manner that would make me believe that it was "conscious". But think about it for a second. The Force being a "thinking" entity, would not make much sense at all. If it was Self aware than it wouldn't have to rely on others to maintain a balance in itself.

14. OddeBogodde

Dec 24, 2002
    of course we "could" get into the whole, there is no light, there is no dark side of the force, discussion. Light and
    Dark, these are aspects of humanity (or whatever alien) not aspects of the Force. But I digress, we will stick to the "normal" way of thinking.

15. Babylon

Babylon Jedi Youngling

Jul 12, 2003

Our perception of the force defines our reality of it. If the darkness within is powerful, there is no darkside, only need.

Furthermore if there is a lack of darkness withimn, there is a potential darkness in that person which they will fear.

Interestingly it is that fear which often leads to a turning to the dark.

16. AquaDude

Apr 30, 2003
    couldn't the idea of a force which mearly exists come from the jedi understanding of the force as a tool more than anything else? Couldn't it be that the idea of the force having a consiousness is one that has been discouraged for thousands of years because of how the code and jedi writings are interpreted?

P.S. This may be Blastfamy, but I'm not sure if GL really knows what the force is besides a cool plot device which alows his charecters to move stuff. Just what I have seen of him dose not suggest to me that he had all of this totally figgured out. Let's face it, Lucas is a great movie maker, but he's no Tolkien or Hurbert, I really doubt that there are volumes and volumes of notes on difforent races and past and things like that, I just don't see it.

17. Storm_Granger

Storm_Granger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 7, 2003
  18. AquaDude

Apr 30, 2003
    are you all scared of posting? I dont bite...... mutch

19. Storm_Granger

Storm_Granger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 7, 2003
  20. AquaDude

Apr 30, 2003
    Your scared of me?! Boo hoo :_|

21. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    an interesting thought.. that the will of the force seeks the re-balance because the jedi have lost their way (adherance to their own laws, and not their connection to the Force similarly to the Pharisees in New Testament times).

remember the cosmic balance religion of bakura, which saw the jedi as wrong because they concentrated too much of the light in one place, which means that a high concentration of the dark would also have to exist.. thus the more powerful good gets, the more powerful evil also gets.

22. AquaDude

Apr 30, 2003
    absolutely! the focus on one side of the force is an incompleate one. If I were to ONLY focus on the good side of someone in a relationship, it would not be a very healthy relationship.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.