main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TOR Space Combat

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Qui-Gon_Reborn, Jul 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    From TFN:

TOR community manager Sean Dahlberg took to the SWTOR.com forums and dropped the following nugget regarding space combat in Star Wars: The Old Republic...

"If you?ve been following the news coming out of the Star Wars?: The Old Republic? panel at Comic-Con International, you?ve heard the announcement that we will indeed have Space Combat as part of the TOR experience! But what does that mean? Space combat is an alternative gameplay experience to the primary game of storytelling, questing, and ground-based combat. In space combat, you fly your personal ship to various ?hot spots? on your galaxy map. From there, you will blast your way through asteroid fields, enemy fighters, frigates, destroyers, and a variety of other obstacles that will evoke memories of some of the great Star Wars? space battles.

Thoughts?

2. Chance the Jedi

Chance the Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 25, 2005
    I hope we get to fly around with a Dynamic-class freighter (Ebon Hawk)![face_praying]

3. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Hmmm I wonder how many credits a kick ass space ship is going to cost. lol :p

4. Grand Admiral Strife

Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 21, 2001
    OK, I have some unique insight into the part of the game that I am not supposed to share, however I have been told that the people must know and revolt against this travesty.

Space Combat will NOT be P v P, and will, in fact, be ON RAILS. If anyone has ever played STAR WARS TRILOGY in the arcades back in the late 90s you'll know what I am talking about. Hell, if you played the old vector graphic STAR WARS that was one of the first rails space games. No turning around, if you miss stuff you've missed it.

Oh, and the ships? Each class has a ship. One ship. That you keep the entire game. You cannot get another.

Oh, I heard Sony had P v P space battles in GALAXIES and it was one of the highlights of the game. If Sony could do that 5 years ago, why can't BioWare blow them out of the water?

5. nicoledc109

nicoledc109 Jedi Youngling

Aug 4, 2010
    ME TOO :d

Edit: No advertisements.

6. EternalLurker

EternalLurker Jedi Knight

Aug 2, 2010
    All of that sounds almost precisely how the announcement had described it. I'm not sure from where came all the hype that led anyone to think otherwise.

Also, Rebel Assault is a similar example; no need to hearken back to the days of Star Wars Trilogy. :p

7. Jek_Windu

Jek_Windu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 26, 2003
    Also, using the word "highlights" in regards to SWG brings to mind a phrase about polished turds.

8. ObiWanJedi93

ObiWanJedi93 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 29, 2008
    Most people aren't liking the announcement of "on-rails" space combat. I, personally, don't mind. Whatever BioWare puts in, I'm happy. The space combat in Galaxies kinda confuses me, but I still enjoy it. So a much simpler space combat is appreciated for what is otherwise a very big game.

9. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Personally, I loved Rebel Assault and the Star Wars arcade trilogy was one of the best Star Wars games ever. So i can't say I am disappointed...mostly, I am very happy they have even this much.

As to why they can't just "blow [SWG:JtL] out of the water", they are already spending a massive amount of resources in voice acting, balancing a bunch of different classes, creating giant planets (hand crafted, not randomly generated like SWG), modeling creatures and npcs etc etc....they aren't made of time and money.

I more wonder why they can't use vehicle mechanics like in WOW, but then, doing anything remotely like WOW is apparently bad to a lot of people.

10. Chance the Jedi

Jul 25, 2005
    Finally, a video of some space combat is up.:D

11. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Oh my god, it's the energy pellets from Empire at War and the KOTOR1 cutscenes.

12. Chance the Jedi

Jul 25, 2005
    We do get to fly freighters like the Ebon Hawk![face_dancing]

13. Grand Admiral Strife

Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 21, 2001
    So according to G4's The MMO Report, BioWare has confirmed that space combat is single player, no P v P, and that they are committed to bringing PvP space combat to the game down the road. How will that be possible if LucasArts has already stated that they will no longer do business with BioWare after the game ships presumably next spring/summer?

14. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    LucasArts doesn't intend to develop new games externally, but that doesn't stop the continued development of TOR. Whatever the exact details of the deal between LucasArts and Electronic Arts, I'm sure that it establishes that it will continue for years to come. Bioware will be able to make and publish patches and expansions as long as TOR will be commercially viable, I assume.

15. JasperMereel_

JasperMereel_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 20, 2006
    Now what kind of perspective is the space combat? Is it first person, third person?

16. TORquedvodcast

TORquedvodcast Jedi Youngling

Nov 15, 2010
    its a tunnel shooter like Star fox

17. grayaus

grayaus Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 30, 2010
    yup im going to hate space combat

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.