main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Splitting South into east and west fan force areas?

Discussion in 'Archive: South' started by ThePrivateUniverse, Jul 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThePrivateUniverse

ThePrivateUniverse Jedi Youngling

Sep 1, 2000
    It has been suggested, partly by me inadvertently, but please lets discuss it properly... Can we split the south into east and west fan force groups? Living down in Cornwall I wouldn't travel to the south est for a meet, and our general potential events to meet at are far few... So to have the group over such an area is not practical, so can we split it? I am not suggesting I run it, as I only have 13 or so posts as has been pointed out so I am not qualified... despite setting up and running the UK's most successful Star Wars/Sci-Fi fan site for the last 10 years... so maybe someone else wants to take this on?

I am going to start a Devon and Cornwall Sci-Fi group regardless of FF, it would be just much nicer if we worked together...

I look forward to any replies and thoughts and getting something done.

Pete

2. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    I don't understand why it would be necessary to officially split the group in order to get meets? If you want a meet in the south east, then have one. Sadly this forum doesn't get the traffic that it's capable of, and splitting would just exacerbate that.

The north forum has a northwest and a northeast contingent, but it works fine with both sharing the same forum.

I think it's more important to work on increasing the numbers before worrying about splitting the forum :)

However, your enthusiasm is indeed noted and appreciated, TPU :)

3. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    If you can get a sci-fi group started and you can get them to join then FF then great. As it is we just don't have enough members to warrant splitting the South into two groups. It'd also cause problems for me as I'm in the South East when I'm at Uni and in the South West when I'm with my parents, and I spend about equal time in both places. If we can get enough people in both sides to make it worth splitting then maybe could think about it, but at the moment it'd only make things worse.

4. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    The old plan was for it to have 3 working areas: North, East and South. The boundaries were a bit screwed though. For example, Wilts was classed as a West county, but very few of us Moonrakers felt like travelling down to the peninsula for meets, thus the majority of our meets could be classified as East. The North people seemed to all disappear after one of the collectormanias.

I'd say keep it as one chapter, but have two "working parts". Maybe TPU can be a Vice-CR or something, and be responsible for the Peninsula-related recruitment and meets, and Rach can handle the South and East side. I think the only reason we don't have meets in Cornwall or Devon is the lack of members from down there. If we had the members, meetings wouldn't be a problem. And, of course, once or twice yearly we could do a big meetup in the centre somewhere, with Peninsulites and normal Southies :p

That's a cool word actually. Peninsulites :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.