main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Orlando, FL Spoilers

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Sabacc, Jan 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sabacc

Sabacc Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Here's a place where we can cover the Spoiler talk. If you're not into it, this is probably not a thread you want to keep up with. If you are, like me, you don't have to keep checking worn out random threads, like January Meeting*, to hear about them. There are a ton of spoilers out there, and some people passionately seek them. I tend to read the ones I find most interesting, have no problem hearing the rest, and take them all with a grain of salt.

So if you want out, I've wasted enough space- you know the risks, there be secrets of the future down this way. The faint-hearted take heed... you've all been warned...

* Keep enjoying January Meeting: the thread that won't die. I'm tired of reading it but in my final check of it there were several mentions of spoilers, and it seems like the minority that want to hear them might need a place to spout. As for me, I'm keen on threads staying vaguely on topic.

So onto the spoilers. The subject most people are talking about is the snippets of footage used at a marketing meeting, to the tune of "Back in Black," if I'm correct, that got leaked. I don't know where to find this these days, though I'd not object to a PM regarding it, but responses have been positive and seem to include our man Vader in part.

-Campbell

2. RogueScribner

RogueScribner Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    I've got a link. Any interested parties PM me for it.

I guess that's all there is to say until someone else has seen it. :)

L8r

3. JEDI_MISFIT138

JEDI_MISFIT138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2003
    I must have watched it like 10 times. I thought it was great, all the duel footage looked awesome, and it seemed to confirm some of the spoilers that have been going around. I didn't think it was possible for me to get anymore pumped up about Episode 3, but this video has definitely got me even more excited than I already was. Cool thread, by the way. I'm a spoiler junkie.

4. raiza123

raiza123 Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 18, 2003
    interested. please send me the info! Ooops sorry, meant to PM well. still...

Thank you ahead of time!

Melanie

5. RogueScribner

Jan 17, 2004
    I'm getting jazzed for that final Anakin/Obi fight. It's not an exercise in cool moves. There's some actual emotion behind it. :)

L8r

6. JEDI_MISFIT138

Jun 6, 2003
    The fight between Anakin and Obi-Wan looks brutal! I think, no I KNOW, it will be the greatest duel of the saga. Until I see it my favorite duel will be the one from TPM. I've been keeping up with every single spoiler that's been out, so if you got a question and don't feel like looking it up, just ask.

7. RogueScribner

Jan 17, 2004
    Emotionally, I think the best duel was in ROTJ. Technically, TPM. I'm hoping E3 will take the best points of both fights and blend them together in one heck of a ten minute battle royale! I was curious about the movie before, but those brief glimpses at the production in this marketing video are actually pumping me up to see it. :)

It's still more than a year away . . .

L8r

8. Pikaroth

Pikaroth Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2002
    The duel in Menace was, to me, the worst one out of all of them. There was almost no duel at all. Lucas, I think, just tricked everyone to think it was some huge lightsaber battle when, in actuality, it is probably no more than a minute and a half long.

This has been brought up at meetings before, but here is the thing, and this is why Menace suffered so badly, especially at the end:

A New Hope: one ending, the battle over the Death Star. Our attention is focused on that goal.

The Empire Strikes Back: two endings. We have the Vader/Luke fight while at the same time Leia, Chewbacca, Pimpdo, and the droids getting away.

Return of the Jedi: three endings. We have the Vader/Emperor/Luke duel, the ground battle, AND the space battle. We are cutting between them, and it is ever-so-slightly annoying.

The Phantom Menace: it's just horrible, four endings. We have the raid on the Palace, the Gungan/Droid battle, the awful space battle with Anakin, AND we have the Maul/Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan duel. We're going between each of them so much that they all become rather meaningless. I actually love how in the documentary on the second disc, and in the commentary, I believe Lucas even states he wanted to see how much he could get away with juggling at once. Sadly, he failed, and none of the four things going on really matter or manage to grab viewers and make them have some emotional investment in the happenings on screen.

Does Vader or Obi-Wan in the original film do any flips or anything? No, not at all, but it is far more meaningful than Menace and has an important feel going for it.

Thankfully, Lucas toned this down in Clones, probably realizing he went too far before.

Again, I just tend to think a vast majority of the people that love the Menace lightsaber duel are duped into thinking it is bigger than it is. Plus, come on, when Maul opens the door, why didn't every single person there just open fire on him? One dead Maul, I'd think. =) Even Han at least *tried* to take out Vader in Empire. "We'll handle this." "We'll take the long way." Excuse me, why? How about we *all* go right through him? Is he powerful? Sure, but could he take every one of them out? I highly doubt that.

Anyway, in the end, I like all the duels, but Menace is, to me, at the very bottom and not even worth mentioning in the same breath as the others.

Brandon

9. RogueScribner

Jan 17, 2004
    Well, I liked the Maul saber fight just fine in all it's abbreviated glory. :p I understand what you are saying. It wasn't as long as we've seen before and it certainly lacked emotional depth, but it was the most briskly paced of any of the duels which added some excitement and it did contain some cool moves which we've never seen before in a SW movie. I'm sure the duel in E3 will blow it out of the water!

Regarding your other point, I've discussed this with a friend of mine before. As Brandon stated, each film has had an increased number of action sequences/battles during the third act.

ANH - 1
    TESB - 2
    ROTJ - 3
    TPM - 4

I say it goes a step further.

AOTC - 5 (Jedi vs. droids/clones vs. droids/chase sequence/Anakin & Obi-wan vs. Dooku/Yoda vs. Dooku)

Sure, those scenes weren't intercut as in the other films, but they were each a distinct action sequence during the third act. Which leads me to my prediction for E3 . . . SIX LEVELS OF ACTION!!! [face_laugh]

Okay, maybe not, but I'd love for it to be true just to prove my theory. Heh heh.

L8r

10. JEDI_MISFIT138

Jun 6, 2003
    Yeah, all those points about TPM have been brought up before, but it's still my favorite duel. I thought it was exciting, being able to finally see the Jedi fight in their prime. I felt it had some drama too, because I knew that Qui-Gon was going to die. Not because of any spoiler (I went spoiler free for TPM), but because of the recurring themes that go throught the saga. Luke's teacher was killed in front of him, so I knew that Obi-Wan's teacher would be killed in similiar way (Well, the trailer kinda gave that away, when you see Obi-Wan scream: "Noooo!", it's almost the same as Luke). So far, according to Nick Gillard (the stunt coordinator for the PT), the duel isn't intercut with anything. I'm sure that will change, but in the script he said it stood alone. I don't care if it does or not, it'll be great either way.

11. tristan458

tristan458 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 15, 2003
    This is the SPOILER thread. So lets stop hijacking it by talking about why you liked or didnt like a saber duel or multible ending. Post spoilers, thats what this thread is for. Dont post PM me if youre interested, just post them. If you want to talk about something else, then just start another thread.

12. raiza123

Dec 18, 2003
    That's what we should use the January catch-all thread or start a new thread.. I agree, let's just put spoiler links here & not worry about the PM thing. I had a great spoiler but Lucas Films has already had the link removed & in it's place is the letter from Lucas Films blasting the site. Ah well, if I find something else I will post it.
    Melanie

13. RogueScribner

Jan 17, 2004
    Tristan,

I asked people to PM for the link to the video because Lucasfilm is shutting down every site that has it. I'd rather not post the link out in the open, plus in the E3 spoiler board, the mods requested no links be posted out in the open, only via PMs, so I was just going along with that.

L8r

14. Sabacc

Dec 9, 2001
    Well, if we do anything, it's get off-topic. The tangent was a direct comparison between what some of us have just seen and the duels we've seen before, so that's worth talking about- for a few posts. The PM thing is a sad must. No one in their right mind is going to post forbidden footage on their site and advertise it. If we're to see it, we're going to have to go into a speakeasy, and we had better know the password. But the point is conceded, this should primarily be regarding spoilers, so keep that in mind.

-Campbell

15. JEDI_MISFIT138

Jun 6, 2003
    As for the duel debate, I didn't start it and I'm gald it's done because frankly I'm sick of that type of debate. I see enough of that over in the 3SA. But back on topic, did anyone who saw the leaked footage catch that glimpse of Hayden wearing the Vader suit? Some people think it might not be him, but I think it's fairly obvious it is. I have it saved, so if anyone wants to see it let me know. The footage also seemed to confirm the reports of Palpatine be taken "hostage" and being rescued by Anakin and Obi-Wan.

EDIT: Just saw the new web doc on Hyperspace. Great stuff, like more footage of the duel with all kinds of steam around, lots of cool shots of Bail Organa's speeder chase, and some cool shots of Obi-Wan on the gimble they have set up that'll be replaced in post production. He supposedly rides on some sort of lizard creature on a new planet called Utapau, a name from some of the old drafts of ANH.

16. tristan458

tristan458 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 15, 2003
    Something as illegal footage or videos that arent supposed to be out I can understand a PM for, but this is spoilers that you heard or read, like for instance I heard that Anakin kills Dooku while saving Palpatine, and thats how they become closer. THeres so many out there. I also heard that they are building the Death Star and we might actually see it. Rebel Scum posts spoilers every now and then.

17. raiza123

Dec 18, 2003
    Spoilers can equal rumors, hm? So I hear Padme dies while giving birth, however I wonder how that can be if Leia mentions she vaguely "remembers" her mother, a touch, a smell, etc. I'd have to rewatch that scene but I'm sure she says that. SO if Leia remembers their mother & they were twins, then did Padme stay with Leia while Luke was sent off to live with Owen? Just throwing this out there. Opinions, rumors, encouraged.

Melanie

18. Sabacc

Dec 9, 2001
    And a heavy sigh here. My pitifully slow connection, I assume, has prevented me from seeing the footage yet. If not expressed previously in this paragraph- Sigh.

What I have seen is the new images of what clone/stormtroopers may look like in e3. Me likee.

19. Pikaroth

Apr 22, 2002
    Just remember, they have always been "stormtroopers." The term "clonetroopers" was never used in the films, not once. Lucas, in fact, during the Ep.II commentary states that they are stormtroopers. Clonetroopers, I think, just came out of the awful expanded universe and the fans themselves. So, our first view of the stormtroopers we all know and love was, in fact, in Attack of the Clones.

Brandon

20. Sabacc

Dec 9, 2001
    Good observation. Amazing how many of the names I learned growing up came from the Kenner, and now Hasbro, machine.

21. JEDI_MISFIT138

Jun 6, 2003
    Yeah, the new "Clonetrooper" design looks great. It's a nice transition from the helmets seen in AOTC, to the ones seen in the OT. The new issue of the Insider should have some good pictures of them, so I'll need to pick it up. I believe the trooper seen on the cover is Commander Cody (Temeura Morrison), the trooper who becomes friends with Obi-Wan during the Clone Wars, who Obi-Wan has to kill when the order comes through from Palpatine to exterminate all the Jedi. Sounds like it will be a very dark and dramatic scene, one of many such scenes that will be in Episode 3.

One of the moments I'm looking forward to the most is when, according to the spoilers, Anakin accidently kills Padme. He doesn't mean to kill her, he just snaps and force chokes her, throwing her aside and and she smashes her head on something, which causes her death later in the film. Anakin does this in front of Obi-Wan and that is what sparks the duel. I really hope it plays out like that, it would be one of the coolest moments in the whole saga.

22. JEDI_MISFIT138

Jun 6, 2003
    I killed the thread [face_devil]

23. Sabacc

Dec 9, 2001
    I was just checking out ForcefullKenobi's new site and saw a link to Tarkin's appearance in e3. If you, Andrew, or anyone else, wants to take a good look at the picture of Tarkin's makeup (from an old TF.n article) let me know.

Also, TF.n just showed a new Boba Fett young readers novel that possibly has our first official look at General Grievous (sp). Hmm. -ce

24. RogueScribner

Jan 17, 2004
    Did anyone hear some rumblings of Natalie Portman clashing with George Lucas so much that he attempted to recast her role for E3? Apparently he tried to get Kiera Knightley to replace her, but she was too busy, so instead he just greatly diminished her role. Reports indicate that she's barely in the movie now, just long enough for an intro, a scene with Anakin, a scene with Obi, and her death/birth scene. I know she's made comments before about how difficult it was to act against nothing, but I never heard of a clash with Lucas. Wiggy.

L8r

25. Pikaroth

Apr 22, 2002
    Who knows about Portman... however, that information came from Ain't It Cool News, probably one of the worst sites on the Internet, where at least 75% of the stuff is untrue.

However, I must say, judgeing from her interviews and just a "feeling," it would not surprise me if it was true. I fear, though, short of Portman, Lucas, or someone else from the actual set, stating it, we'll never know.

Contraty to what most people think, I've never really liked Portman. She's not that attractive (she was cute/adorable in Leon, and had that look that said she'd grow up to look better than she does now, she just aged wrong, to me), and again, she just seems to have an "attitude."

So, I'm torn. May be true, may not. Just note the source. =)

Brandon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.