main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star by Star: A Kick in the Jimmies

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth Ludicrous, Sep 8, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    there's obviously already a discussion on Star by Star. This is more than that. This is a discussion on expectations of Star by Star. What do you expect? Do you expect too much? What has to happen for you not to be disappointed?

Personally, the more I learn about this novel, the faster my heart beats. The novel should give a lot of people heart attacks... whether that is in a good way or a bad way is another question.

2. exar-tull

exar-tull Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 22, 2001
    i would rather kick herbert in the jimmies.

3. Darth Ludicrous

Jun 25, 2000
    he doesn't have any.

4. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Grand Admiral Wettengel Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 10, 2000
    Amusing thread title, DL.

I just want to read about Jimmy's death so I can celebrate.

5. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    I'm staying away from all spoilers for this one. I got spoiled about too much of the NJO so far...

When I learned Mara and Luke would have a son, I looked a little too close at the cover of BP. Dang.

And then 3 weeks later, TFN Books ran a poll about what his name should be. I was about to write a very nasty e-mail about that. I hated TFN at the time.

They've redeemed thenselves though. It is the best overall SW site, and much better than the others. It's my main web source since early 1999.

Anyway, back on topic...

I'm going to try and read SbS the same week the AotC trailer hits. 2 big surprises at the same time. [face_mischief]

6. exar-tull

exar-tull Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 22, 2001
    kyp should marry lorana bobit.

7. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Grand Admiral Wettengel Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 10, 2000
    ~winces~

I shouldn't have looked in this thread again. Now I'm going to bed with . . . visuals in my mind I didn't want.

8. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    Star by Star is going to be great.

Darkness... nothing better.

9. -Vergere-

-Vergere- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2001
    I agree, DL. That is, the more I learn about SBS, the more I want to read it. The longer I wait, the more I want to read it. The more I keep talking about it, the more i want to read it!

Needless to say, I have some high expectations for SBS - especially since Rebirth was such a huge disappointment for me. Then I find out that SBS is 500+ pages - thats awesome! BTW, anyone know if this is still true?

SBS will not disappoint me if it contains some sort of prominent action sequences by Jacen. I'm looking forward to it! Especially after reading alot of fan fiction on unjoh.com!

10. Darth Ludicrous

Jun 25, 2000
    624 pages. A lot can happen in 624 pages.

11. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    VP wasn't only about Chewbacca dieing (although many think so). SBS won't just be about the Jimmies.

12. JWK

JWK Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2000
    DL where you get 624 pgs. Accourding to Amazon its 560 pgs. But that still a lot of Story.

Finally Del Rey is giving us our money's worth, of course they could have 300 pgs of pitures in there just to make us mad and charge us more.

13. LoveisSuicideSP

LoveisSuicideSP Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2001
    Shoot man, 300 pages of pictures! That would tight. They would be well worth my money.

14. DarthHellion

DarthHellion Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2000
    I think rebirth was a disappointment, the book before that Keyes wrote I thought was really good(forgot the name), I read it quicker than any other NJO book so far. Rebirth had what seemed like a bunch of gaps, where it seemed like there was something that was supposed to happen, and was taken out.

15. Darth Ludicrous

Jun 25, 2000
  16. LoveisSuicideSP

LoveisSuicideSP Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2001
    Yeah, i enjoyed Conquest alot more than Rebirth too. I still thought Rebirth was decent though.

17. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    All the talk of death has got me turned off of it. I don't want to know going in that someone is going to die. I don't like that. But then Before BP I was sure someone was going to get it in all the hard covers so maybe Jimmy will be just fine.. (I don?t know who that is and I DO NOT WANT TO!.) sorry I just wanted to make sure that was said. I am someone who Likes the Happily ever after. I know Deaths are needed to make a story sometimes but I don't want to know how every one of my fav characters dies. I like to imagine them retired on a nice planet with lots of little Jedi chasing wamp rats.

18. Bror Jace

Bror Jace Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 1999
    I remain HIGHLY skeptical of these SbS rumors .

Look at what we've gotten from the NJO rumor mill so far:

Jaina is going to die ... and it didn't happen.

Mara is going to die ... and it didn't happen.

Lando is going to die ... and it didn't happen.

Corran is going to die ... and it didn't happen.

I think the rumors about Star by Star are merely false hype trying to get people all jacked up about the book.

19. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Bror Jace...
    "I think the rumors about Star by Star are merely false hype trying to get people all jacked up about the book."

So if "hype" is deliberate exaggeration, then "false hype" would be innocent understatement? :D

I would agree that it's innocent. People being jacked up about a new Star Wars book is not a new phenomenon exclusive to SbS and was happening long before any of its rumors began leaking out. Case in point, see "The Official Troy Denning Thread." This thread is rather old, existing long before several prior NJO books and existed long before rumors began being leaked. However, people were jacked up about SbS.

Therefore, I don't agree that the rumors are trying to do something which has already been done, and has been done for a long time now.

EDIT: Btw, forgot to add I think the title was pretty clever.

20. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I don't know who's going to die, nor do I care -- I just need a big, awesome SW fix. I need something that'll take me longer than 2 hours to read, something where some significant stuff happens and has the space to be developed adequately.

21. Tellesto

Tellesto Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 1999
    I'm definitely excited about SbS, and I'm also hoping to get a lot out of this book.
    Back when Balance Point came out I wasn't disappointed by it and I've found the course of the plot the NJO has taken to be much better as of late.
    Either way, even if the characters I've heard about die I'm still very excited.

Aside from the Episode II trailer, it's going to be the greatest Star Wars event this year, let's hope that the writing lives up to the hype.

22. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    You know what kicks my Jimmies real hard ? The fact that we have to wait for a full three year quarters before the paperback release. But this is not really interesting, so move along, move along...

23. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    And in 2002 there will be a new SW novel every two months! Or more, I guess, considering the novelization...

24. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Bror Jace: I'm afraid that I disagree with your assessment of the NJO rumor mill.

"Jaina is going to die ... "

Mostly speculation based on the BP cover. The admins said nothing one way or another.

"Mara is going to die ... "

People who dislike the character hoping that she would bite it. The admins said nothing one way or another.

Lando is going to die ... and it didn't happen.

People thought Lando would die because he wasn't serving any real purpose. The admins said nothing one way or another.

Corran is going to die ... and it didn't happen.

This is the only one that anyone close to an admin has weighed in on... GhentZ keeps predicting Corran might maybe possibly die. But the real admins said nothing one way or another.

And now we come to "Jimmy." And the Gatherer has supposedly confirmed it. We'll see for sure in Star byt Star, but I think Jimmy's life span isn't going to be terribly long.

25. KansasNavy

KansasNavy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    I can't wait till the siege of the 'certain planet' that falls! That'll be a major brawl. Those fighters on the back cover look great!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.