main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL Star Wars costumes

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Schph_Gochi, Oct 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Schph_Gochi

Schph_Gochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002
    I think that I can probably make the June 5th meeting...

Are we scheduling anything specific?
    Is anyone out there wanting help with anything?

As stated...I would like to learn leatherworking from the "master" (lol...Lionel)...but I won't be ready for that this meeting.

And ....we can either go on hiatus for July and August...or I could sponsor something at my house one of the two months....

2. flippingyodacola

flippingyodacola Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 27, 2003
    Well, It is a sunday after all, and nothing good happens at a con on Sunday, so perhaps the August one will still be at my house.
    As for the leather working, what do you still need, Phyllis? My dad was helping Dinel out with a belt she was making last meeting, and giving her little tips along the way. I'm sure he'd be more then happy to do that with you. Also since its on a Sunday, Sachs will be open, and you can get some leather for dirt cheap, if you would liek to work on it.

3. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    Cool beans...if you give me the address of Sachs...maybe I will leave my house early that day ...head there...buy some leather supplies...I pretty much know what I need to get for a Jedi belt...but if you dad has any suggestions of "must buy"...just let me know.

We can work on the August meeting....

I can have July out at my house....if there is any interest...if there is no interest...we can just have no meeting in July.

4. DestinyFroste

DestinyFroste Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 6, 2002
    [color=660099]Next meeting is indeed schedualed for June 5.

I just got a brand new sewing machine, so I will be bringing that along so that I can figure out how to work the damn thing. I will probably spend the meeting re-doing the pleets on my Kagome skirt.

Phyllis, if you can hold the July meeting at your place that sounds good to me as long as others are willing to make the drive as well(If I can do it, anyone can do it). The first Sunday of the month would be the 3rd, but we can always change that depending on your schedual as well as the fact we are talking Independance Day Weekend. We can finalize that at the meeting.[/color]

5. Bosh_Talk

Bosh_Talk Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    As I mentioned before, my girlfriend Kerry has offered to show the CF costumers how to do face-casting when she's in town over the next month or two. We will probably be leaving town no later than the middle of July.

The class would take 2 sessions, either back-to-back or split up over a few weeks. People would need to bring their own supplies (which I can post if there's enough interest to do this).

A face cast will let you do full face-masks and enhancements. Whether you want to do a full Latex Gamorean mask or just shape your nose more like Gandalf's. It's pretty inexpensive to create and the casts are good for as long as you take care of them for unlimited uses.

Also, Kerry would be glad to help anyone with any costume or design help you may want. BTW, Kerry is the professor of Costume Design at Southwestern University in Austin, Tx.

Bosh

"She'll smack you if you call her Dr. Bechtel."

6. ThomSolo

ThomSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    Though I haven't been attending the costume club so far, I'd be happy to assist in the face-casting sessions, or future follow-ups. I'm not in Kerry's league, but I have done face-casting on myself (pre-beard) and remember much. (and what I don't remember, I can pick up from Kerry pretty quick)

7. darthgoat

darthgoat Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    "Goat, have you seen my armor?
    Does it really look that bad? "

I saw it at C3 Emma. It looked pretty good IMO. Looks like you put a lot of work into it. It definately shows in a good way.

I still would shy away from dealing with Glover though.

8. Hawk-Bat

Hawk-Bat Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 2003
    Ah the great one has posted again.

9. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    sounds like a plan....
    What time on Sunday?

Emma...is the leather store nearby?

And Bosh...I like to learn new things and would love to learn the face thingy from your better half...

10. DestinyFroste

Nov 6, 2002
    [color=660099]2pm is the official start time.[/color]

11. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    "Ah the great one has posted again."

Please Peaches. I'm just a dude.

I might stop in for this. I'd love to see some lifecasts in action.

12. BespinBelle

BespinBelle Jedi Master star 1

Feb 8, 2004
    Alright, June 5th - I should be able to be there. I'm with you on the leatherworking request, Phyllis - I haven't completed a belt yet, and I need 2, so I'd love to get some more help. FYI: Sachs is right next to Vogue Fabrics on Roosevelt (it's on the freeway side of Vogue), so it's not far from the meeting.

In addition, my schedule is pretty free right now over the next month or two, so I'd be able to help with a "basic sewing" workshop if people are still interested.

13. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    Sounds good on the leather store....I have a couple other irons in the fire...so I think I will save my leatherworking business for sometime in the future....
    I will have to see what the budget will stand...

14. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Mos_Eisleian_Radio Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    I took my boots to a shoemaker to try to get them adjusted, but he said there really wasn't anything he could do. He said it would still bunch up at the ankles, even if he were to add elastic at the top of the boot.

I'd like to get some material to glue onto it to make the straps and spats. What time does that leather store close? I'd be willing to come in early as I also would like to get material to make a Jedi belt.

Phil

15. flippingyodacola

flippingyodacola Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 27, 2003
    Sorry folks, I haven't had a chance to get online recently..
    Phyllis, Sachs is on Roosevelt, next to Vogue.
    -edit-
    I have no idea when the leather store closes, although I do assume with safety that it closes around 5. Im sure my dad and Phyllis would love to take a trip during or before the meeting.....

16. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    OK....those who would like to go to the leather store...
    raise your hand! We could arrange to meet at FYC's early and car-pool over there....

BUT: If Bosh's better half will be coming with the latex stuff....I guess we should not divide the focus...

Bosh....what's the word on that? If your better half will be coming....we need to be courteous (sp?) and give her our full attention....

standing by....

Gina....will you be sending an e-mail to the Costume Club members listed at CF?

17. DestinyFroste

Nov 6, 2002
    [color=660099]Well, I could, but like you just pointed out I am not sure what exactly is going on.

I do not see why we could not work on leather stuff early and the masks later. We have not had a meeting since the first that people dont start arriving at 10-11am. I know I want to look for leather for Zam, but I am not sure how much I will be able to afford.

Anyhow, I will type up the different senario's when I arrive home tonight and have them ready to be e-mailed.[/color]

18. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    it is true that we usually arrive hours early...but...I don't know if that is ok with Lionel and Emma...

lol...they might have other plans for the morning time.

19. DestinyFroste

Nov 6, 2002
    [color=660099]Of course I would check with them before schedualing something in their house, but as for going to the leather store, we could meet anywhere and head there before hand as well.[/color]

20. Bobafemme

Bobafemme FF Jedi Council Member, Chicago IL RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 25, 2000
    I would be interested in learning about the casting,. I don't know what I'd use if for, but I'm sure Kerry would teach us that too. I have a couple of soft parts to work on and am flexible.

21. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
    She'll be in town tomorrow, and we'll go over the schedule, try to match days with when there's available space.

Bosh

22. DestinyFroste

Nov 6, 2002
    [color=660099]So is she planning on doing anything for this meeting or should we plan business as usual plus maybe a trip to the leather store?[/color]

23. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Mos_Eisleian_Radio Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    How much will material for a belt plus straps and spats for the boots cost? My next paycheck isn't until the 10th, but I hope I can afford it before then.

Do we want to set a time to meet at the leather store or are we meeting at your place, Emma, and going to the store? I'm willing to come early.

Phil

24. Bosh_Talk

Nov 29, 2000
    I'm not this meeting, but I'll see if I can get a supply list from her.

Bosh

25. darthgoat

Sep 6, 2001
    Erica asked what you can use your lifecast for.

Basically the use is as a base for latex facial appliances. We've all seen Hellboy right? The prop/costume makers made a life cast of Ron Perlman then sculpted the appliances on the casting. This ensures a perfect fit as well as correct proportions on the subject.

If you had interests in creating any latex masks or things of that nature, a life cast of yourself is essential.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.