main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

STAR WARS: DARTH PLAGUEIS Novel

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Zorkel567, Jul 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004

ahem... I love it, but... what of the EU that has Palps and Vader post-ROTS with lots of DIFFERENT introspective... like Palps admitting to himself it is a lie to Vader that he could save people from dying... or Palps wishing for a healed Anakin instead of crippled Vader and all that? we had his pov in some form in some sources and I think all that goes to waste now given the new revelations. what do you think? EU salvagable? if so how? sorry that I can't recall exact yources but post-ROTS EU and whole Empire and Dark Times, even Rebellion era were full with these allusions in various sources.

2. Darth_SHOT

Darth_SHOT Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 11, 2004
    well... Sidious could be just trolling Plagueis...

3. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    That isn't the biggest issue, anyways.

Plagueis does far more than force fertilize eggs and revive the dead.
    I had to read some paragraphs, twice.

Great moments of stunned silence.

4. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    You're not kidding. Again, haven't read all the book, just what Amazon lets me read, but I have read the Tenebrous Way article, and that, combined with the parts of the book I have read, just tipped me on to something. Try this on for size:

First, let?s be clear on what I?m interpreting the midi-chlorians to be in the first place, just so we?re on the same page: all living things have in their cells (or whatever passes for their cells) a kind of sub-cellular life-form, called midi-chlorians, often described in the book and article as organelles, and because they act as carriers for the Force, the number of midi-chlorians people have in their cells is at least one determining factor in how well they might be able to perceive and use the Force. The EU has established that the average human has approximately 2,500 of these little things per cell; by contrast, the most Tenebrous is depicted as believing would be possible in a purely Force-created being is approximately 15,000 per cell, and the actual record (Anakin, of course) is more than 20,000. The count you have can be in part based on genetics (Luke is as powerful as he is in part because he is Anakin?s son, after all), but not necessarily so, as the EU has long established that Force-sensitive beings can spontaneously appear in genetic lines that never really were Force-sensitive before, almost like random mutations (I?m willing to bet money that Palpatine himself will be proven to be the textbook example of this phenomenon).

If I'm right, that?s pretty much all we knew about them, but now that people like Luceno and Stover have been allowed to do more with the midi-chlorians, we?re now getting a sense of how they can be fit into the larger picture.

I won?t bother to go into the details, because I?m sure that you know more than I do at this point (and will continue to do so for another two weeks, dammit!). But in short, the two sources combined have gone to great lengths to establish that the midi-chlorians inside a person?s cells do not die when the person himself dies; rather, they disappear. The characters of Tenebrous and Plagueis are depicted as being powerful enough in the Force to be able to sense these little guys, in themselves or someone else, and are also shown as being able to sense them winking out in dying people.

Plagueis may not have known for certain why this happens, but it seems he did have a theory: he more than once speculated that when a person dies, the midi-chlorians living inside his dying cells, in the act of vanishing, are not actually dissolving, nor are their existences otherwise ending; instead, as if they embody the principle of life itself (which is what Plagueis seems to have believed), they are actually migrating from the dying cells and returning back to the Force from which they came.

I?m not necessarily insisting Plagueis was right, and Tenebrous himself dismissed it as muddy thinking and romanticized mysticism, but because he was ultimately proven to be fundamentally wrong about Plagueis and what he was capable of (Tenebrous the mega-mind was always dismissing Plagueis and his ideas as stupid, until Plagueis killed him), and because my theory is built on the premise, let?s just say for the sake of argument that Tenebrous was wrong about this too, and assume that Plagueis was on to something.

OK, here we go. How do I open the door to explaining this? Well, it?s simple: so the midi-chlorians disappear when a person dies, and we?re assuming they migrate from the dying body back into the Force, right? What that means is that the midi-chlorians specifically have now been brought into play concerning how characters like Obi-Wan, Yoda and Anakin (presumably off-camera in that last instance

5. mbruno

mbruno Jedi Master star 1

Jan 19, 2010
    I have to wonder if Palpatine will finally be given an official first name in this book?

6. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    No. But his dad is called Cosinga.

7. mbruno

Jan 19, 2010
    How can you be sure, given that the book isn't out yet?

8. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Did you miss all the posts where I've quoted the exact page numbers?

[face_mischief]

:p

9. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Wookieepedians seems to speculate they shared a name in the discussion page, which is why Palpatine rejected using it.

10. mbruno

Jan 19, 2010
    I guess I did, but how do you have the book already? I'm guessing either a review copy or broken street date. Just asking out of curiosity, BTW. :)

Why do I get the feeling you're going to tell there's another post of yours I missed? :p

11. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Palpatine speaks for himself, when it comes to rejecting the name he was given.
    The Wook will have a proper quote soon enough.

Dooku is somewhat surprising to me, but thats my fault for assuming stuff.

Plagueis is a massive ball of contradictions:
    Brilliant.fool.mastermind.idiot.powerful.weak.immortal.dead.

And yeah, look up top on prev page, even DJ6x3 has a hard copy.
    I look forward to the edited version.

IMO:
    Banites should not have needed 30, after first few generations Masters blew off strict RoT if first apprentice wasn't good enough, or to possibly pit them vs ea other.

12. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    It was Luceno who also gave us most of those earlier quotes you're remembering. [face_whistling]

13. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    This book brings plenty, to the discussion table. -Ric Olie

14. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003

Ahem.

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaa......

15. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Exactly, Barriss. [face_mischief]

And we all know from Darth Bane that right hands can be... unnatural. [face_whistling]

16. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I just want to know why TPTB, in all their Infinite Wisdom, chose to push back the release.

I mean, it's not like they didn't have it printed. ARCs tell us that much.

Way to ruin Christmas, *******. :p

17. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    San Hill,

hmm....

The ending just started making more sense.
    Or, should I say, beginning?

18. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004

can't wait for the sequel telling San Hill's tale throughout the Prequels from his pov... got already a perfect title for it: "Silent Hill" :p

19. DarthAdamentum

DarthAdamentum Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 28, 2008
    Happy New Year 2012 to all from Melbourne! Now we have Darth Guile & Darth Gravid? Now I'm a happy kid! Two nice Sith Lords now in Bane's Order.... Darth Vectivus and Darth Gravid. Now I know who sabotaged the essence transfer. For sure Gravid has some twisted meaning from the word Grave... thoughts?

20. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    I don't get it. San Hill is Plagueis's son?

21. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    San Hill is Larsh Hill's son, who was a friend of Plagueis and, even earlier, Plagueis's father.

Although I'm all for starting a San Hill-was-Plagueis's apprentice-conspiracy.

Oh wait, that's not a conspiracy. That was actually in the book. [face_whistling]

22. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    So San Hill and Plagueis are brothers?

That explains his survival.

23. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    This book has so many epic wins it will make your head spin.

24. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    No, but he was partly trained by him.

Although he did have siblings -- San is the oldest son.

Most agreed. :D

25. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Audio book, required.

So good, it deserves being heard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.