main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi (New series by Ostrander and Duursema)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by max-attac, Oct 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    I guess with all the different eras being used in books and comics, we'll eventually reach stuff like the Unification Wars, the Tionese War and the Pius Dea Crusades, right? ;)

2. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I had always wanted to see a series - comics or books - that would go back to the earliest days of the SW universe, but despaired ever seeing something like that - so thanks, Jan and John, for making it happen. (And for giving a little more hope for a Xim comic or book! ;))

Bah, it pales behind the true 'style king' of DND... Planescape!

3. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Most agreed.

Think SpellJammer would work better in SW, though. :p

4. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Ah, fair enough.

No drow in SW, though, that's all I'm saying... :p

5. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    I'll be happy with a chaotic good Sith Je'daii ranger dual wielding guard shotos.

6. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    [image=http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070520180728/starwars/images/a/a5/Sephi-concept.JPG]

Too late! *Dives off platform*

7. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    [insert standard shot of Vader shouting NOOOOO! here]

8. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    Nick--the setting may mostly be in one star system, but apparently the system has many settled planets, so fleet battles may be possible

9. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    Hey John, are we going back to the dorky extension cord lightsaber with lots of needless spikey bits everywhere? Cause I kinda like those. :p

10. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I think it is a bit early even for those. Just metal swords at this time according to the few images we have.

11. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    "Combatants on both sides used metal-bladed swords strengthened through the Force, and constructed the first lightsabers after offworld visitors shared their laser technology". - Atlas, p. 118

12. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    Nyoho, so we may end up seeing the first lightsaber ever built? Now that would be cool.

13. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Maybe here we can get an explanation for the Clone Wars season 2 black lightsaber-thingy?

14. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    One of the preview pics looks as if the ancient astronauts visiting the Jedi already have lightsabers that look like later models, so probably we won't see the first lightsaber *ever*, only the first Jedi lightsabers.

As for the darksaber (teehee), I don't think it fits in there. I wouldn't want to see it end up as a prototype thing, or a single item created specifically for some enemy or as a gift, or as something from a sect you'll never hear of again after one book, or something like that; if they expand on the darksaber, it should come from a very different era. Like, the "dark ages", where Jedi had to be ninja instead of samurai, and the original lightsaber technology was lost for the time being.

15. Corusca_One

Corusca_One Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2005
    Very unexpected and very exciting. Can't wait!

I like the mention of Kaleth. ;)

16. Duragizer

Duragizer Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2009
    Knowing Ostrander and Duursema, I'm sure this series will be chockful of prequelisms and characters who look like unwashed junkies.

17. BootlegVader

BootlegVader Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    This looks pretty interesting, I wonder if we might get any insight into the formation of the Legions of Lettow and Xender along with finding more about other early force traditions.

18. Nagai

Nagai Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2010
    So...
    Warfare is like it was in the 16th century? We have swords and huge canons on space ships by the look of things.

19. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    After finally, finally, long overdue (-ly ?) getting around to KOTOR War, I'm about to get around to Dawn as well. Funny question that popped into my mind yesterday when I almost started to read... what would the lit forum recommend, starting with #0 and finding out about all the concepts before the story begins, or simply diving into the story with #1, experiencing the new concepts with a fresh mind and then reading the background stuff afterwards?

So, what will it be, #0 or #1 first? ;)

20. Onderon1

Onderon1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2008
    I started with 0 because I really wanted to get the new lore first. (That, and it was the first issue I could track down. :p)

IMHO, if you're looking for more of a mythic feel to the setting, start with 1 and then go back to 0. Ketu's story about how the Tho Yor brought the first wave of Force-users to Tython is very much needed set-up, and fun, but it can lose some of that if you've read 0 first. [face_thinking]

21. jfostrander01

jfostrander01 Writer: Dawn of the Jedi, Agent of the Empire star 3 VIP

Oct 26, 2001
    Since you have both, I'd also recommend issue 1 first. I'd be interested in finding out of you felt it had all the info you needed WITHOUT issue 0. It's meant to. Then you can read 0 and can get further info.

-- John

22. Eternal_Hero

Eternal_Hero Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 21, 2012
    Question for John:

I love what you're doing with DOTJ!

I remembered this passage from the Phantom Menace novel by Terry Brooks. It's one of the passages that came from GL. I was just wondering if we'd see any of this covered in DOTJ? It outlines the first 1,000 yrs of Sith history in broad outline. Obviously the time frame & details have changed, and this doesn't dovetail perfectly with the DH comics from the 90's, but it has a nice quality to it, like a real religious myth, just wondering if you'd seen it or were making use of it:

The Sith had come into being almost two thousand years ago. They were a cult given over to the dark side of the Force, embracing fully the concept that power denied was power wasted. A rogue Jedi Knight had founded the Sith, a singular dissident in an order of harmonious followers, a rebel who understood from the beginning that the real power of the Force lay not in the light, but in the dark. Failing to gain approval for his beliefs from the Council, he had broken with the order, departing with his knowledge and his skills, swearing in secret that he could bring down those who had dismissed him. He was alone at first, but others from the Jedi order who believed as he did and who had followed him in his study of the dark side soon came over. Others were recruited, and soon the ranks of the Sith swelled to more than fifty in number. Disdaining the concepts of cooperation and consensus, relying on the belief that acquisition of power in any form lends strength and yields control, the Sith began to build their cult in opposition to the Jedi. Theirs was not an order created to serve; theirs was an order created to dominate.
    Their war with the Jedi was vengeful and furious and ultimately doomed. The rogue Jedi who had founded the Sith order was its nominal leader, but his ambition excluded any sharing of power. His disciples began to conspire against him and each other almost from the beginning, so that the war they instigated was as much with each other as with the Jedi. In the end, the Sith destroyed themselves. They destroyed their leader first, then each other. What few survived the initial bloodbath were quickly dispatched by watchful Jedi. In a matter of only weeks, all of them died.

23. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Zorrixor likes this.
  24. Eternal_Hero

Eternal_Hero Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 21, 2012
    Right, I get how it was retconned into the continuity but I don't think GL was thinking of that when he passed it on, it actually fits in with earlier drafts of what became ANH, and it seems pretty self contained. I was just wondering if the early part was usable for DOTJ, since it is going to have to deal with the emergence of the "original sith", pun intended ;) They've (Ostrander/Duursema) actually set things up nicely to pretty much adapt GL's little outline.

25. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    God himself has spoken on the matter. Can't get a much clearer answer than that ;) .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.