main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ Star Wars fact files in New Zealand

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Kitt327, Jul 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buzz-Bumble

Buzz-Bumble Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000

I have seen that bit in the Fact Files and I haven't read the book in YEARS, but I'd guess it's talking about the 'Splinter of the Minds Eye' crystal. :)

2. Lil_Lisa

Lil_Lisa Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2001
    And I've heard that Luke and Leia were being a little intimate in that book/comic...

Okay, I'll shut up now. 8-}

3. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000

Nothing that "exciting" since it is a kids book, so SithForceLord can stop hunting for a copy. :p

4. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    Dratt!

Brother sister love - sorry, but I'm not interested in that.

[no sheep jokes Graal!]

5. Chansplace

Chansplace Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2001
    :D

Get this for weird, got my lates sub for the fact files, and one of them had a paper plus sticker on it with $5.95 on it.

6. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    Get this for weird:

When mum had a look at the account for my Fact Files. They had a zero balance. They billed her Credit Card (she's paid by cheque the last 2 times as her card expired and she got a new one.)

hahaha!

BONUS!

7. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000

Yep, my credit card would have expired just before this latest set of issues, but my bill showed $0 as well. The new credit card (for Visa anyway) still has the same number, so it's possible that they just keep using it, or they put it through on the credit card and when it gets refused because of the expiry date, they simply add it to your next bill instead. I'll have to see with the next delivery. :)

As for the PaperPlus price sticker - I'm almost certain that since the subscribers get their issues after they've been in the shop, we often get the leftovers that have been recollected from various shops. Although quite why the PaperPlus sticker said $5.95 when they cost $6.95 is a bit peculiar - perhaps you're misreading a faded sticker, but 5's don't look much like 6's on my PaperPlus magazine stickers! I might have to hunt down that PaperPlus branch and get each issue $1 cheaper. ;)

8. Lil_Lisa

Nov 28, 2001
    My folks cancelled the credit card account they have here so now I have to pay all the bills with cash. [face_plain] I hate paying bills. [face_plain]

And Foodtown Greenlane isn't stocking Fact Files anymore I think. :(

9. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    You should be able to get a credit card for yourself, Lisa. Do you have a tertiary student bank account? I've got one with ASB, and you could get a credit card or an overdraft, so I went for the credit card.

10. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000

You need to be VERY disciplined if you have a credit card ...
    • ALWAYS ALWAYS make 150% sure that you pay off the FULL amount of the credit card bill each month, otherwise you end up paying 20% (or more) in interest charges and you could very easily get deeper and deeper into debt. [face_plain]

• NO EXPENSIVE IMPULSE BUYING - NEVER buy past your monthly earning / saving limit. Make sure you don't go buying a $5,000 computer just because your credit card has a limit of $10,000 - unless you can earn / save the $5,000 in that month you'll wind up getting into trouble with the rule above. [face_plain]

But, as long as you can 150% stick to the rules above, a credit card is a great way of buying stuff. I use mine for nearly everything I buy. Not only do you get one month, sometimes two, before you have to actually pay for something, but with an ASB Bank Visa card I also get the True Rewards points scheme that let me get petrol vouchers and movie tickets (for Star Wars movies) for free. :)

11. YouAgain

YouAgain Jedi Master star 5

Dec 20, 2001
    Man I wish you could use Ephpost (SP) cards to by stuff off the internet its the clocest thing I have to credit card.... And my parents dont like using theres on the internet even if I do pay them back.

12. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000

> Ephpost

Sounds like some sort of special NZ Post system for mailing elephants. :D :p
    It's really spelt EFTPOS - it stands for Electronic Funds Transfer at Point Of Sale.

Apart from Iconix and the old FlyingPig here in New Zealand, I think I've only used my credit card for one Internet purchase from Amazon books way back when they'd not long opened. International shipping just costs WAY too much ... plus it'd be too easy to get carried away getting ALL the Star Wars stuff. I'll probably have to get the Jedi Outcast and Galactic Battlegrounds Add-on from Australia since it's near impossible to get Mac games here at the best of times, and they're more expensive here even after including shipping from overseas. :(

13. Lil_Lisa

Nov 28, 2001
    Kitt: I don't have a tertiary account anywhere--I have a I think it's called Select account at National, but I have to have money in there. Those tertiary accounts don't offer any interest so meh. 8-}

I thought opening one at ASB would be too much of a hassle [face_plain] I even got the form but never filled it out. Well, maybe next year. :D

14. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    Flyingpig was the most useless internet site I ever bought anything from. I ordered the 2000 edition of the trilogy on VHS, and didn't get it until a month later, and even then it was the normal versions, not the widescreen that I'd ordered.
    I got a refund out of them, and used it to buy the right thing from a store. Never again will I buy anything just because it's cheaper on the net, lol.

15. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000

Yep, towards the end FlyingPig did get really bad. There seems to be two options for Internet companies: they either go under because their hopeless or they get too big for their boots and try to do everything and then wind up being hopeless anyway - another good example is IHUG! :(

16. SimplyThrilledHoney

SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    in defence of internet shopping ....

I buy virtually _all_ my music from the UK now, usually from either amazon.co.uk or pennyblackmusic.co.uk. Today a book arrived from the UK in four days, which is pretty impressive.

In my experience American companies really ream you for postage, whereas UK companies usually charge a fair price for their postage, and it's usually a lot quicker too.

Lawrence

17. Lil_Lisa

Nov 28, 2001
    Ooo good to know. :)

How much do they usually charge for postage for CDs and books from UK?

18. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000

Check your mailboxes ... I just got my latest issues with another free binder. :)

19. ACERIMMERROCKS

ACERIMMERROCKS Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2001
    Eftpos, Phone Banking, and Internet Banking have reduced my savings to jack all. Cause i have a seperate eftpos account so I can seperate the stuff from trademe from my savings. Then i got phone banking and now when something kick ass comes in at the comic shop i just transfer money onto my card and buy it.

I get Transformers from japan and i just use my mate in dunidens credit card i just give him money and he does all the transactions.

20. Darth_Graal

Darth_Graal Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2001
    I wondered what had happened to the mags seems like its been a couple of months since I last got them

21. SimplyThrilledHoney

SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    the distribution of the SW magazines seems to have become completely randon of late. My local Foodtown, where I tend to buy most of my magazines, only seems to get them every three weeks. I've given up on collecting them now anyway.

Looks like the James Bond series has taken over now anyway.

22. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    I don't mind if they're a few months late, as long as they don't charge.

Great to see the Episode 2 stuff appearing now ... love the Anakin cover :D

23. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000

As I warned after the last delivery, the Xmas / New Year period plays havoc with shipping, warehouse, distribution, etc. since people are away on holidays - many magazines are either late, or don't bother with a December / January release at all (despite what date it shows on the cover!).

24. Darth_Graal

Darth_Graal Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2001
    Mine finally showed up today, 21 is M.I.A with the note "to follow" on my invoice

25. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    Yes, same on mine. I see they've charged for it though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.