main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Knox, TN Star Wars Fan Films on cable 24/7?

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Jar Jar, Mar 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jar Jar

Jar Jar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 13, 1998
    As some of you guys know I work for Comcast cable here in Knoxville (yes, I am evil) and recently I was selected to beta test the Video on Demand service that will be coming out over the next few months. If you don't know what video on demand is, it's actually some really amazing technology. Basically networks put up shows and movies, you select the show or movie you want and it starts playing. You can do anything with the program you select that you could do with a home video copy (pause, rewind, fast forward, stop) and you can keep the program paused in memory for up to 24 hours so you can pick up where you left off if you decide you want to watch something else.

Anyway, there are a few websites that are offering on-demand content and Atom Films is one of them. There haven't been any Star Wars Fan Films there, but I think that it could be possible. I mean if Lucasfilm allowed them to be shown on Sci Fi back in 2002, why not for on-demand? I would love to see that happen, but I have no clue as to what it would take to do it.

Also, if anyone here is an anime fan they have another on-demand network that shows some pretty good stuff. Recently they had the Evangelion Director's cut episodes (which I've had the fansubs of for a while, but it's still cool) and they also have other series like Rahxephon, Orphen, Chobits, Noir, and many others I can't remember right now. I mean it's stuff that I have seen but a lot of people have not and I really hope that Comcast will keep them when they bring it out to the public. I am keeping my fingers crossed until then.

2. TheRealFennShysa

TheRealFennShysa TFN FanFilms Staff star 4 VIP

Oct 7, 2000
    This has actually been in the works for some time - AtomTelevision was announced in late summer 2002... they've been testing it in different markets since then - good to know it's still moving forward...

I don't know if they'll put any of the Official Star Wars FanFilms on there, but I can at least say that the distribution contracts I have with them wouldn't prevent it... :)

You can read the original press release about the channel here.

Fenn

3. Jar Jar

Jar Jar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 13, 1998
    Well, VOD rolled out in Knoxville yesterday so now everyone will get a chance to check it out if you have digital cable. They added a few listings they didn't have during the test phase, but it wasn't much. This is gonna be huge as I could already tell just from the number of calls we got on it yesterday. I really wanted to be even busier at work, so I guess I got my wish. [face_plain]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.