main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tips & Tricks Star Wars FIDM exhibit

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by PadawansGuide, Aug 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    I know there is already a thread that is mainly on the new Star Wars Dressing a Galaxy Book, but I thought I would start a fresh one for the exhibit itself, to keep the book and exhibit info easier to page through.

I just found out that the FIDM site is newly updated:

http://starwars.fidm.edu/

And it has a page called "The Exhibition" that somewhat confusingly says, " A collection of more than 100 costumes, accessories, and props from all six films of the Star Wars saga ? including Episode III Revenge of the Sith ? will be on display at the FIDM Museum & Galleries beginning September 12. After the exhibition opens, you will be able to browse the complete collection online by category and character. Until then, we invite you to view select examples of the costumes by Trisha Biggar in this special slide show.

http://starwars.fidm.edu/exhibition/exhibit.shtm?section=exhibition&subsection=bycategory

Do y'all think this mean these are the costumes in the exhibition, or just examples of costumes by Trisha Biggar?

I think/hope it's the latter because some of the "examples" include OT costumes obviously not done by Biggar - so maybe it is what will actually be there. And if that is the case, I am very excited!

Here is what is in the slide show (it has nice pics, so be sure to check it out):

the Padme white battle outfit, the Picnic outfit, the black corset outfit, the purple AOTC senate gown, the Amidala Coruscant kimono gown, the TPM red throne room costume, the gold AOTC travel gown, ROTS Anakin, ROTS Chewie, ROTS Vader, ANH Han, Mace Windu, ROTS Obi-Wan, Leia Bikini, Qui-Gon, and Zam Wessell.

If the picnic costume is really there, I will be majorly excited!

ETA: Here is the thread on the book, just for reference!

http://boards.theforce.net/Costuming_and_Props/b10019/18682434/?151

2. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    OK, I'm getting VERY excited! I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but from the way I read "select Examples" they mean examples of what will be on display at the exhibit, and when the exhibit opens they will have the complete display of costumes online as well.

The Picnic Gown and the Purple Senate Dress :) I've been anxious to see these in person for ages so I jumped out of me seat when I saw them in the slide show! :) Some of Liea's ANH costumes would be nice too.

Thanks Maggie!

- Kay Dee

3. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    I am seriously hoping that I am reading it right and that it is a partial list of what will be there. And not a list of what's in the book or something! ;-)

I'm hoping for Leia Bespin too. I've seen it twice before - but that was before I ever thought of making it! So it'd be nice to see again! :)

I do think the Picnic dress is my first choice for a costume to see though - so I will be really thrilled if it is there. Some of the other things list are things that have been on exhibit before, so it wouldn't be surprising to see them there (ie, the gray kimono, the white battle outfit, the Purple senate gown, etc..) I was kind of hoping for the blue Tatooine poncho too. :)

4. swguru2004

swguru2004 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2003
    I have a friend who has been lucky enough to help set up this event, he posted on my FF boards explaining what they would have.

This is what he posted:
    Lastly, in my dealings with them, I have had the chance to peruse the exhibit while are setting it up. In case there is any doubt in your mind, YOU WANT TO ATTEND THIS. They have 116 costumes, plus props and some set pieces. When I was there Friday, I saw:

Kenny Baker's R2 costume (with the foot holes) and Tony Daniel's Empire C-3PO;
    At least 12 Amidala costumes (plus handmaidens), including 6 that travel in 8'x8'x6' crates, they are so big- plus nightgown, pregnancy and pilot suits;
    Han, Luke Hoth, Leia Hoth, Leia Slave Girl, and more from the OT;
    Palace guards, Imperial guards, a ton of BG aliens from E3, plus Palpatine's senatorial costumes;
    The new "Imperial" officer costumes, the Emperor, and E3 Hayden Vader;
    Obi-Wan, Maul, Qui-Gon, Anakin child and more from Ep 1;
    Jango, Chewie, Tarfful (I think) the Jedi Librarian, Sandperson family,
    Essentially the only thing missing is one of George's flannel shirts- although his opera alien (Papanoida?) was there.

5. Tenyon

Tenyon Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 12, 2003
    2 words: Picnic Dress!!!![face_love]

6. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Thanks for posting this Maggie :)

I'm with the rest of you in hoping these 'select examples' will really be there! Needless to say, I want to see the picnic dress more than any other costume in the world, so this is terribly exciting. Oh, how I hope it's really there!

And I'm so pleased that it seems Padmé's wardrobe will be well represented. Hooray!

7. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    As much as I wanted to go opening day, I can't :( I've finally resolved that I hate money, it makes having fun, hard. My fiance has listened to me while and cry about this exhibit, I've even asked my brother if I can borrow money. My fiance DID say however that when my brother gets back from his cruise (in the Navy) in San Diego we can go then. So I get to see it in November instead. I'll take seeing it sometime over not seeing it at all. I can't wait to see the picnic dress and my favorite - the purple senate dress [face_love]

8. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Awww, Benae, I think it's just wonderful that you get to go in November! That's probably when I'm going. ;) So don't cry. You'll get there! :)

I like how they named each costume in the bottom left corner. Her white battle outfit is called 'Action Girl'. hee-hee.

9. electrakitty

electrakitty Jedi Master star 2

Apr 27, 2005
    Sadly, I don't think I'll get to go at all, so I'm relying on all of you to get fantastic pictures (pleeeeeease), esp of Bespin Leia (should it be there) from a million and ten angles :) I'd go, but I'm already planning a trip to NYC in Feb, so money's gonna be hella-tight anyway. So enjoy it enough for me too, all :)

10. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    I did too! In fact, the categories reminded me a bit of the Rebel Legion with Royalty, Senatorial, and such. So now I need to start calling the Picnic Dress the Meadow Dress? That's gonna be difficult ;) I'll call it "meadow picnic dress" ha ha. And the Purple Senate Dress is "Senatorial Dress". :D

Can you all tell I'm just giddy with excitement over this?

- Kay Dee

11. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    OH MY GOD! I'm actually going to be in LA for the King Tut exhibit in October and am going to see what I can do to add this to our agenda of stuff to do while there!

I'm sooo excited!!!! [face_dancing] [face_dancing] [face_dancing]

12. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Yes yes yes 12 Amidala costumes!!!!!!!!!!

13. Jedi_Kai

Jedi_Kai Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2001
    Looks like I'll be going in November, also. We're planning it in conjunction with a visit to SoCal friends as we used to live there. Will be doing 1 or 2 SCA events on the weekends.

While the quote of the person who claims to be doing set up sounds very encouraging, would they be setting up NOW (8/12) for an exhibit that doesn't start for a month?

14. swguru2004

swguru2004 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2003
  15. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    It sounded early to me too, but I really don't know how these exhibits get coordinated. I'm just glad that swguru2004 passed along the news he found. Hopefully more news and info will materialize in the coming weeks!

- Kay Dee

16. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Makes sense to me. Assume a week to set everything up. Configure the lighting, set up barricades, etc etc. Then you'll get preview showings for Museum members and for the press. Also if they plan to document each costume online they'll need to photograph all that as well.

So starting to set up about a month in advance is feasible.

17. HothGirl

HothGirl Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    You guys that are lucky enough to attend will be taking lots and LOTS of pictures right? ;)

18. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    You all must take lots and lots of details photos! [face_praying]

Anyway, I was wondering. They said that it's the ROTS Vader suit at FIDM. So does that means that they made 2 sets since I think we are also getting the ROTS Vader Suit for our SW Exhibition. Or one of them is not the ROTS Vader Suit. [face_thinking]

19. Jedi_Kai

Jedi_Kai Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2001
    Yes, as long as they allow photos (and I've heard they do) I will be taking lots of high res (5megapixel, at least, 3mb file size) images with my digital SLR. I'll have them upon my photo host. But, that won't be until November and others will be there before me.

20. FenigDurak

FenigDurak Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 6, 2002
    When I first heard about this exhibit, I looked into the school that is hosting it. I'll be going in October (13th - 16th) to tour the FIDM campus, see the exhibit, and then the next day tour UCLA. The idea of a design school in the states that has a good costume design program tickles me. I was convinced I had to go overseas. Not that the idea of studying in England would be bad....-=grin=- So many schools and so little time!

21. Sakara

Sakara Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 8, 2005
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!:mad:Its days like this when i -
    1 - hate being in the UK
    2 - Have no money!!

So need to win the lottery so i can go to this....

22. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    Oooooo elctrakitty, you'll be in NYC Feb? We should try and hook up while you're here :D

23. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Unfortunately they are not allowing tripods. This could be annoying. I'll have to use my friends' shoulders for steadiness! I'll be taking as many photos as I can - got 2GB worth of space in preparation!

24. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Anyone doing a DMC Threads Color Coding for the fabrics? [face_mischief]

25. across0the0stars

across0the0stars Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 29, 2003
    hm, do you think (since there are no tripods allowed), that someone could get away with bringing a somewhat tall walker, and just lean on it to take better pics? they didn't outlaw that =P Lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.