main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tucson Star Wars Live Action TV Show

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by _Anakin_Vader_, Apr 30, 2006.

1. _Anakin_Vader_

_Anakin_Vader_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 8, 2005
    Sorry if this is off topic or there is already a thread or something if so just get rid of it,
    BUT
    How much do we know about it? I pretty much know nothing.
    Any help here would be hot...

2. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    umm.. not really sure of anything current.. but this was what GL said about it almost exactly a year ago..april 26, 2005

3. hal9k1

hal9k1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2003
    I'm still pulling for that "Young Boba Fett" idea.

4. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    Any new news of this? I've not seen any new news on it since Steve Sansweets last interview.

5. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    me either

6. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    George Lucas has a message for studios that are cutting their slates and shifting toward big-budget tentpoles and franchises: You've got it all wrong.
    The creator of "Star Wars," which stamped the template for the franchise-tentpole film, says many small films and Web distribution are the future.

And in case anyone doubts he means it, Lucasfilm is getting out of the movie biz.

"We don't want to make movies. We're about to get into television. As far as Lucasfilm is concerned, we've moved away from the feature film thing because it's too expensive and it's too risky.

"I think the secret to the future is quantity," Lucas said.

He spoke to Daily Variety after the groundbreaking ceremony for the renamed School of Cinematic Arts at USC.

He gave $175 million -- $100 million toward the endowment, $75 million for buildings -- to his alma mater. But he said that kind of money is too much to put into a film.

Spending $100 million on production costs and another $100 million on P&A makes no sense, he said.

"For that same $200 million, I can make 50-60 two-hour movies. That's 120 hours as opposed to two hours. In the future market, that's where it's going to land, because it's going to be all pay-per-view and downloadable.

"You've got to really have a brand. You've got to have a site that has enough material on it to attract people."

He said he's even discussed the subject with Pixar's Steve Jobs and John Lasseter.

"If you don't do very many movies, and you're really lucky, and you really know what you're doing, you can get away with it. But you know at some point you're going to lose a game."

Lucas said he believes Americans are abandoning the moviegoing habit for good.

"I don't think anything's going to be a habit anymore. I think people are going to be drawn to a certain medium in their leisure time and they're going to do it because there is a desire to do it at that particular moment in time. Everything is going to be a matter of choice. I think that's going to be a huge revolution in the industry."

That doesn't mean Lucasfilm is diving into online distribution, though. "Having had a lot of experience in this area, we're not rushing in," he said. "We're trying to find out exactly where the monetization is coming from. We're not interested in jumping down a rat hole until such time as it finally figures itself out."

Nor is Lucasfilm's exit from features instant or absolute. "Indiana Jones 4" is still in development. "Steve (Spielberg) and I are still working away, trying to come up with something we're happy with. Hopefully, in a short time, we will come to an agreement. Or something," Lucas said, without a great deal of enthusiasm.

Lucasfilm also is working on "Red Tails," a film about the Tuskegee airmen of WWII.

"I've been working on that for about 15 years," he said, adding that he's also been working on "Indy 4" for 15 years.

And Lucas Animation does plan to start making feature films -- eventually.

"Right now we're doing television, which looks great. I'm very, very happy with it," he said of his toon division. "And out of doing the animation, we're getting the skill set and the people and putting the studio in place so we can do a feature. But it's probably going to be another year before we have the people and the systems in place to do a feature film."

Lucas admitted the big-budget strategy has done well for him in the past, but said, "We're not going to do the $200 million investments."

He calls himself "semi-retired" but reiterated his plans to direct "small movies, esoteric in nature," after his other projects are launched. He expects to serve as exec producer on the two features and the TV shows, including a live-action "Star Wars" skein.

At the USC groundbreaking, Lucas was honored amid cannon shots of confetti and fanfares from the USC Marching Band for his gift, the largest in the school's history.

Other bizzers in attendance included Lucas pals Robert Zemeckis and Spielberg.

Lucas said the gift is intended to set an example for the rest of the

7. TuskenFan

TuskenFan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 5, 2005
    Here is something posted yesterday on TF.N...
    and the link... http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1542612/story.jhtml

Josh from MTV.com sent us this heads up on an interview they posted with George Lucas. In it George mentions several new pieces of information in regards to both the animated and live action television shows. Information that we've never heard until now from anyone at the Lucasfilm camp.

"In 2007, Lucas will begin work on a live-action "Star Wars" show set during the 18-year gap between Episodes III and IV. "We haven't started yet; I start that next year," the filmmaker said, adding that he's determined to write an entire first season before shooting begins on the show that will star "background" characters from that time period.

"None of the Skywalker story, none of that stuff is in there," he explained, shooting down any depiction of a young Han Solo acquiring the Millennium Falcon or running with Lando Calrissian. "It's completely different. The animated series has got all the characters in it. The one that comes after, the live-action one, is with people who were in 'Star Wars,' but they're not the main characters."

Lucas said the plot will be steered by characters such as Tie-Fighter or Rebel pilots, most only briefly glimpsed in the six "Star Wars" films."

As fan of TheForce.net Richard Thomas put it, "Sounds like Galactica in the Star wars Universe".

8. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    More Star Wars, I am just happy that it's going to live on in more visual moving media from GL.

9. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    Ya know... it could be about something as simple as the problems with building the 1st Death Star or the transition between the clones (limited lifespan) and the stormtroopers. The building of the milittia part of the rebellion, how the dawn of the Empire effects commerce, trade and politics or anything in between.

10. Vangarian

Vangarian Jedi Master star 4

Mar 9, 2003
    For that matter it could be about how former Imperial pilots get an up close and in their face look at the sheer brutality and all around ugliness of the "New Order" when no one's supposed to be looking and how it turns them away from enbracing the Idealogy of the Empire.

11. _Anakin_Vader_

_Anakin_Vader_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 8, 2005
    Well, honestly, I really don't care what it's about, cuz I'm on a Star Wars video low. As long as its not a complete flop *cough*ATTACK OF THE CLONES*cough*, I couldn't care less.

12. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    Didn't you mean "a complete flop *cough*The phantom mennace*cough*"? :p

13. thatsMISTERwookiee

thatsMISTERwookiee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2005
    Gotta go with Hal on this one. Between the two (Ep. 1 and Ep. 2), "Clones" has more and better action, less Jar Jar and more real humor as a result.

14. Vangarian

Mar 9, 2003
    So like is there anything that's popped up with the skuttlebutt on the alleged new Star Wars live action TV series? I for one would like to see it with 100% CGI and voice overs. If the flannel Jedi wants to push the envelope. He might consider finding a way to streamline CGI production. You should see some of the stuff they have coming out now. Just a thought.

15. JediObiKat

JediObiKat Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 15, 2006
    Forgive me for saying so, but it wouldn't be live action if it were CGI...Personally, I prefer people to pixels.

16. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    Ep.3 was more digital animation than live action (even the live action was re-digitized and manipulated); I was surprised it never got mentioned as a cartoon or digital creation more than a standard film.

Personally, I prefer story/dialog over CGI effects (Ep.1+2)

17. Vangarian

Mar 9, 2003
    Cars, The Ant Bully, Final Fantasy VII, and plenty of others beg to differ. The CGI realm is getting better and better. The tech is there. All that is needed is good script and good directing. Nuff said.

Vangarian, out.

18. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    I was also saying that Lucas used the effects and CGI to tell the story over the script telling the story.

I was NOT disputing CGI Films themselves (I LOVED The Incredibles + FF) but just that at some point "live action" stuff (like the prequels) will be deemed animation using live action actors.

19. Mugen

Mugen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 7, 2005
    HEY!! I liked AOTC!!!! :mad:

20. Vangarian

Mar 9, 2003
    OK, I see your point on that, hal9K1. It was just that the earlier talk about Lucas dropping full length motion pictures and getting into TV productions because of the rising expences was compelling me to think of the next step in entertainment production. In this case, the Pixar production route.

Vangarian, out.