main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Star Wars Misconceptions You Had as a Kid. (RE-MADE)

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Jedi_Saber101, Jun 9, 2011.

1. civ122

civ122 Jedi Youngling

Jun 14, 2011
    If you love Star Wars and Darth Vader - READ THIS!!!

http://zumsblog.blogspot.com/2011/06/reconsidering-darth-vader.html

2. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Here's mine:

I thought the Death Star battles (especially the ones in ROTJ) where fought on giant platforms in space. It wasn't until watching the films a few times that I realized that they were on the Death Star's spherical surface. I remember making some drawings in first grade representing this.

I thought Jabba the Hutt liked to torture his enemies by subjecting them to his smells and bodily wastes, by keeping them in his dais. This fact was supported by the Jabba the Hutt playset Kenner came out with. I think I know where I came up with this: I saw an Youtube commercial for the Max Rebo Band figures (which I totally had), and the dais from said set was used as a representation of the trap door into the Rancor pit, so my young mind must've gotten them mixed up. Also, I was a weird kid.

3. ForceJumpAnakin

ForceJumpAnakin Force Ghost star 4

Dec 24, 2006
    I thought Return of the Jedi was the first movie, then Empire. Didn't know ANH existed.

4. Sith_Rocks

Sith_Rocks Jedi Knight

May 15, 2006
    I was 7 years old when ANH came out and it was the first time I had seen a movie in the theatre. In my mind I had the entire movie out of sequence as I remembered the following parts in this mismatched order:

1. The meeting of the Death Star officials where Vader and Tarkin enter.
    2. The Trash Compactor scene
    3. Vader's premier in the film

I don't understand why that was.

For ROTJ I thought that Jabba the Hut and his gang were going to agree with Luke and join them to fight the Empire prior to the film based upon what I had misunderstood in the movie reviews.

5. Drewdude91

Drewdude91 Jedi Knight star 3

May 21, 2011
    In addition to what I put, I was 7 when TPM came out and I thought it was called The PHANTON Menace (no idea why)

TOASTEROVEN likes this.
  6. Jace1709

Jace1709 Jedi Youngling

Jul 9, 2004
    I had a few.

1. Lightsabers were Lifesavers, seems a lot of people had that thought :p

2. I thought when Luke called his Lightsaber to him in the Wampa's Cave, he was doing it with his artificial hand using magnetics, which is quite a feat considering when it happened, lol (i was very young at the time).

3. I thought the Jedi were 1 completely seperate Species, when Yoda said 'When 900 years old you are, look as good you will not, hmm', that to me meant Yoda and Luke were the same Race, just Yoda was much, much older

4. Owen was Anakins brother, which wasn't so much a misconception, as it was incomplete information. Although technically they are step-brothers, even if they spent very little time together.

5. When Anakin throws Palpatine down the shaft, there was nothing to imagine it was Dark Side Energy from Palpy's death that came back up, i thought Palpy hit something in the Reactor, and thats where the energy came from.

Thats all i can think of just now, though im sure there were some more.

7. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    HA! I love this one. (I know the cartilage in our ears continues to grow as we age, but who knew it grew in pointy? :p )

TOASTEROVEN likes this.
  8. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    Yes, I thought the same thing about #5.

9. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I was 9 when TESB came out. When Vader falls of the edge of the carbon freezing platform I thought it was because Luke slashed and killed Vader with his lightsaber. Then Luke goes down to look and sure enough there is another Vader that comes along. I thought the Vader that fell off the platform was a robot. Also, earlier when Luke kills the Vader in the tree cave on Dagobah I thought that was a robot that Luke defeated as well since I didn't get a look well enough to see Luke's face and get what was going on.

So the entire TESB lightsaber battle seemed to me to be a Luke versus robot minions battle right up until Luke gets his hand removed which I thought was the real Vader.

10. Jedi_Saber101

Jedi_Saber101 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 2, 2011
    [face_laugh] Children seem to have the most misconceptions, why is that? LOL.

11. Jedi_Saber101

Jedi_Saber101 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 2, 2011
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

12. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    omg the old thread was locked?! That thing was a classic.

Here's a small one I recently remembered: in RotJ, when R2 plays Luke's message to Jabba and Luke says that he's giving Jabba the droids as a gift, and 3-PO freaks out and tells R2 that he's "playing the wrong message" -- I used to think R2 really was playing a wrong message.

It was years later before I finally realized Luke just didn't let 3PO in on that part of the plan because he would have been too scared to do it.

13. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    In ESB when Luke is using the force to get his saber in the Wampa cave, I used to think he clenched his fist, but had his pinky finger sticking out still. (It's actually part of his hat)

14. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    Before I liked star wars when I was 6, I used to think ANH and TPM were the same movie as they were technically both "Star Wars 1".[face_laugh]

15. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    As did I.

TOASTEROVEN likes this.
  16. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Another misconception I had during my later childhood & even beyond was that the first time I saw SW in 1978, it was a different cut - one in which the cantina band were the same creatures as Greedo, & which included the Jabba in Docking Bay 94 scene.

The mistake with the band was a good illustration of how the very young mind can combine & distort memories - I was only three years old when I first saw SW, & it was the only vivid memory I had of that first screening, although I clearly remembered everything else about the film. Bizarrely, I can still picture three Rodians playing as the band on the screen.

Very common mistake with Jabba - I saw the scene in 'From Star Wars to Jedi' in 1983, & somehow assumed I'd seen it in the film, as it was also in the book. You'll still find plenty of people convinced that they saw the Biggs Anchorhead scenes in the film back in the 1970s or on an early TV screening, when, in fact, they just remember them from the book, comic, storybook, trading cards & so on.

17. block

block Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2004
    I feel like an idiot. Until now I thought he had his pinky out.

TOASTEROVEN and The Exogorth like this.
  18. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I can't readily recall any misconceptions that I had as a kid... aside from thinking that Beedo was Greedo. I do, however, know of a misconception that my mom had for years until she was told otherwise.

My mom, for years, thought that Threepio was an actual robot, and not Anthony Daniels bolted into a suit.

19. Winston_Sith

Winston_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 8, 2004
    The Star Wars Holiday Special was AWESOME!

I can't bring myself to watch it today, after some of the things I've heard about it... lol

DarthKreVass and Star Wars age 9 like this.
  20. Daft-Vader

Daft-Vader Chosen One star 8

Aug 6, 2008

:eek:

Threepio IS a robot :p

Not quite fromn the films, but my first introduction to Star Wars when i was young was a MicroMachines Darth Vader Helmet that spkit open into Cloud City (THIS)

And I assumed Lando Calrissian was something to do with Darth Vader, because they both wore capes...

TOASTEROVEN likes this.
  21. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Me too. [face_laugh]

22. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    Shouldn't this be moved to the saga section?

Seagoat likes this.
  23. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    This is what I posted from the old one:

(1) Motti threw up yellow goo after Vader choked him. Later, I realized that it was just a yellow button.

(2) Vader was the only remaining Sith Lord. The Emperor was just a regular evil dude in charge of things.

(3) "They're on Dantooine." was misheard as "Duran Toodie." (I am hard of hearing, and from birth, okay??)

(4) "As of millions of Viscians suddenly cried out in terror..." This quote lead me to believe that Leia wasn't human, but a Viscian who was disguising herself to look human.

BlackRanger and Star Wars age 9 like this.
  24. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    My misconceptions during the OOT years:

- I also thought Stormtroopers were all robots (despite the fact that Luke & Han disguise themselves as Stormtroopers in ANH).

- I thought DV was a robot until ROTJ (I guess I was half-right).

- I was confused about what exactly happened during the Obi-wan/Walrus Man/grubby human fight in the cantina (this was before the EU came along and named Ponda Baba & Evazan). I wasn't actually sure that the arm that was sliced was Walrusman's (it was later confirmed somewhere that the clawed arm on the floor was a mistake). What added to this confusion was the way the scene was described in the novelization of the film by ADF, which involved more protagonists.

- I don't know if this could be classified as a misconception - but, despite DV telling Luke he was his father at the end of ESB, I was very skeptical about this and felt that DV was lying (until this was in fact confirmed by Obi-wan in ROTJ).

25. VadersFollower

VadersFollower Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 18, 2011
    One misconception that I had in mind was that the second Death Star was what was left of the first one, but that was before I saw ROTJ and after I only saw pics of DSII in a magazine

whostheBossk likes this.