main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Star Wars Misconceptions You Had as a Kid. (RE-MADE)

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Jedi_Saber101, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Comparison with the Forest Moon though, leads to problems- the Moon's official diameter is currently 4900km- which does not work with a 900 km DS2. Even if you accept a size ratio of 11.5:1. If the ratio is larger- as other estimates of the scale of Forest Moon to DS2 give- it's even more problematic.

2. Yunners

Yunners Jedi Master star 2

Mar 30, 2006
    A 900km (Mostly) sphere seems like a lot to build in less than three years. Although the horizon was flat when the Executor took a dive into it.... so it sounds like it'd be in that range of numbers.

3. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    Star Wars misconceptions that I had as a kid included that Darth Maul died in Episode I and that there would only be six episodes.

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I figured that as an issue of laziness in props- it was easier to make a flat "horizon" than a curved one.

The size is inconsistant enough that there will always be problems whatever size is used.

5. yoda_bomb

yoda_bomb Jedi Youngling

Apr 19, 2007
    Lando in ROTJ, flying the Falcon toward the Death Star, suddenly realizing that the deflector shield was still active:

"Aww crap, pull up!!!"

MaggieSolo likes this.
  6. The Corellian

The Corellian Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 16, 2012
    ANH - When Luke arrives at the destroyed homestead, he shouts out the name "Colin"
    It was always Han's plan to come back to the battle

ESB- The Vader that Luke faces on Dagobah was a robot

ROTJ- Endor entered the Republic after the battle

7. Darthgoodguy

Darthgoodguy Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 2, 2012
    Just saw EPV today with my 5 yr old son and noticed that for the first time! How weird!

8. Darthgoodguy

Darthgoodguy Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 2, 2012
    Me too!

9. the_sinister_hologram

the_sinister_hologram Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 3, 2012
    I thought Lord Vader was "No-Vega".
    After Luke cuts his father hand off then looks at his own, I thought that the Emperor gave Luke his father's hand.
    At the end of ROTJ, when Luke talks to his dieing father and Vader says "Let look on you with my own eyes" I instead heard something like "Let me see you with my own eyes". I thought that Vader was asking Luke to wear his mask. And I was saying: No, don't do it! You will be transformed!

I'm sure there were other misconceptions, but I can't remember them right now.

darklordoftech likes this.
  10. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    "Yes indeed, if it's a fast ship."

"Fast Chip?"

11. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    My mom was telling me her favourite character was "the black guy", and I had no idea who she meant.

I assumed she meant Darth Vader, but she said "no!, the black guy" . . . i was confused

now i know she meant Lando, but when I was a kid i didn't really know about "black" and "white" people

12. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    Most of my misconceptions were due to misheard pronunciations:

Darth Vader's name being 'Dar Fader'.

Admiral Ozzel's name being 'Admiral Oswald'.

Thinking a lightsaber was called a 'lifesaver'.

13. mrdan5

mrdan5 Jedi Youngling

Nov 3, 2012
    I thought the infamous masked villain was called DARK Vader, not Darth.

Also for a bit I thought the final scene of A New Hope was Leia and Han's wedding.

And like the poster above me I also thought it was 'life saver'!

Embarrassing to admit these ha!

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  14. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    I think I wouldn't think of people now as black and white and whatever if school hadn't hammered into me that there were these differences when I was little. Little kids don't care and don't know - when you tell them with the purpose of telling them that discrimination is bad, you can be setting them up to realize that there is discrimination and that they are okay with it.

15. edimeo25

edimeo25 Jedi Youngling

Nov 17, 2012
    "Blasted bitch, where are you!?" This is before I was aware of a character called Biggs.

I used to think that all three movies, plus 'Spaceballs' PLUS freaking 'Top Gun' were all one movie. When I was 3 or 4 in the mid-80s, my older brother would watch those five movies pretty frequently but I'd only catch bits and pieces of each so they all blended together for me. The following is how I thought the big movie went: An alien defrosted Han from the carbonite, unfrozen Han aimlessly walked around on Hoth and Leia was glaring at him, Luke in ROTJ garb and his friends were about to get squished in the trash compactor only to be saved by 3PO, Luke and friends see Ben get sliced down by Vader and they escape. Then, Vader's lookalike with a huge helmut and glasses sets the Death Star to Ludicrous Speed, passes Han and Barf, then Dark Helmut stops the ship which sends him flying and crashing and smashing his helmut and glasses. At some point Lando's android Lobot must have taken off his robot thing, revealing Mr. Strickland's Top Gun character. 3PO and Dot Matrix coexisted, as did Barf and Chewie. I remember thinking the Jawas were midget Ben Kenobis. Anyway, finally Luke defeats Vader, takes off his mask revealing the white skin. In the last shot, I think there's two Ben Kenobi ghosts(Anakin and Ben) and the movie ends. Crazy.

16. Yunners

Yunners Jedi Master star 2

Mar 30, 2006
    For years I was convinced Yoda's line was "Always emotion is the future."

17. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    Touche.

or perhaps BURN!

18. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    Yeah, i remember thinking that.

and to be fair, i used to think in Luke and Anakin/Vader's final discussion that he was saying "take your sister, go for a ride" instead of "tell your sister, you were right."

19. vypernight

vypernight Jedi Master star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    Late to the party, but here goes;

I also thought Obi Wan mentioned oysters and the stormtroopers were talking about 'a girl.'

I thought the sequences in ESB were out of order with Luke cutting off Vader's head on Dagobah, then Vader having it reattached when Piett enters.

And for the longest time;

"What of the reports of the rebels massing the Ussolist?"

I figured Ussolist (I never could figure out the spelling) meant, 'ultimate assault or attack.'

20. MandalorianWrath

MandalorianWrath Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 17, 2005
    The one biggest misconception I had was that I thought every Jedi ended up looking like Yoda when they reached 900 years. You read that right. I thought Yoda was just a super old human.

I was 6, give me a break.

21. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    I thought Vader was a robot, and it wasn't until Empire that I realized he wasn;t actually the guy in charge of the Empire.

darklordoftech likes this.
  22. tsunami1138

tsunami1138 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 15, 2012
    I thought Ben used the lightsaber he gave to Luke when fighting Vader. Somehow, in my young brain, it didn't click that Ben would have his own saber. I was so confused when Luke lit the saber again in Empire...

23. Cantina Bassist

Cantina Bassist Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    When I was a wee lad & listened to "the Story of Star Wars" LP (that's a vinyl record, all you whipper snappers) I heard, "we have no time for our sorrows, Commander" as "We have no time for Star Wars Commander".

Nehru_Amidala and MaggieSolo like this.
  24. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    For years I was convinced Yoda's line was "Always emotion is the future."
    ----------

so did I

thank goodness for subtitles :p

Darth_Kiryan likes this.
  25. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    One misconception I had was that the duel between Ben and Vader was the climax of the movie.This was due to an incomplete first view of ANH on VHS (and because it was too good to not be the movie's climax).