main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

O.C, CA Star wars Vs Transformers

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by falcon_prime, Jun 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LordJedi

LordJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 15, 2001
    I guess what I should have said is that if I wanted a sports car, I'd rather have a Corvette. If I had to choose between only two cars, a camaro and a bug, I'd take the Camaro. As it is, I'm quite happy with my Chevy Silverado.

It's not numbers of people that matters. It's the prices of collectables that matter. The Sci-Fi fanatics have far deeper pockets than the parents with kids who are trying to put food on the table, educate their children, and put clothes on them. Sure, there's lots of toys for kids, but the market for high priced collectibles is far more lucrative. The Camaro in Transformers is going to be marketed as "You too can own your very own BumbleBee". How many kids will be able to buy that? If you look at the market data, adult purchases of toys and collectables (not toys they're buying for their kids, things they're buying for themselves) surpassed purchases for children back in the late 90s. The same happened with gaming. The people with the disposable income are between 25 and 34 and they're buying these things for themselves. There are exceptions, just like any market, but by and large it's adults buying for adults.

Also, would you ever consider buying any of the toys you have that are very detailed for a child? I'd say that I wouldn't have about half my collection. Not only are they to detailed for a child, but a child is also going to have a tendency to want to play with them (even the statues). I wouldn't want a $50 bust to get broken because the child didn't understand that it's only meant to be looked at, not played with. Of course, I would never buy a $50 bust for a child. Maybe a vehicle (Millenium Falcon) that they can play with, but certainly nothing beyond that. And they'd probably only get 1, whereas an adult would easily buy all the vehicles they wanted. I think you see where this is going.

You've been to AnimeExpo, you've seen some of this stuff yourself. If you go to Comic-Con, you'll see the same thing. High priced collectibles are where the real market is. Parents simply can't afford to spend nearly as much on their children as the Sci-Fi fans can afford to spend on themselves.

2. falcon_prime

falcon_prime Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 2, 2006
    Hey Alex,

You asked how I think they will justify that the Deceopticons are taking a Sci-Fi look and the Autobots are taking on Earth forms... I have an educated guess...

The Autobots in this story will probably take on the Earth forms to hide from the Decepticons (taking us back to robots in disguise). Megatron probably felt no need to change his or the other Decepticons forms... except of a small few (Bonecrusher, Blackout and the cop car).

If you got the chance to see the E-behind the sceens yet... it shows Bonecrusher tourturing (in a way) Spike looking for information. What could a human possibly know that a Decepticon could not find out... possibly the location or disguise of the Autobots? We will see.

3. falcon_prime

Jun 2, 2006
    Funny that you guys are going on and on about adults collecting toys... that is something that I would NEVER do!

By the way... I just scored ALternators Optimus Prime! He looks realy cool! I am now only missing two Alternators that are out and Three from Cybertron! My Star Wars Miniatures are almost complete too.

Just remeber... I would NEVER collect toys or comics!

In the words of Jason Lee: "Comics are for kids!" and he said "Boy Wonder! I'm all man, lady!"

4. falcon_prime

Jun 2, 2006
    After two years of contract disputes and waiting for the fans... on September 26th... TRANSFORMERS ARMADA season one Part two on DVD

5. crazybirdman

crazybirdman Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    So I saw the Transformers Titanium toys, are they not metal? I wasnted to get one, but it looked tottaly plastic

6. AboutaSith

AboutaSith Jedi Knight star 5

May 13, 2005
    Full trailer for the movie coming at thanksgiving, me thinks it'll be attached to the new bond flick

7. falcon_prime

Jun 2, 2006
    The Titanium toys are 'mostly' metal. they have a few plastic parts. Mostly apparent in the 6" ones. For the 6" ones I wish they were all plastic. the metal makes them very hard to pose.

8. Enforcer_Draconus

Enforcer_Draconus Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 19, 2004
    i found a bumblebee one but i didnt get him he was so tiny!

9. AboutaSith

May 13, 2005
    Is there a Prime one?

10. falcon_prime

Jun 2, 2006
    So far there are four optimus titanium figures out. A three inch 'War within' Optimus. A three inch 'G1" Optimus. A six inch 'War within" Optimus (Fully transformable). And a 6 inch, fully transformable, Optimual Optimus (Beast Wars).

11. AboutaSith

May 13, 2005
    Finally saw the prime one, not too keen on the small ones. They need to be a little bigger.

siebetron.com has a bunch of spy pics from the film online, nothing spectacular just prime in vehicle mode flaming around

Oh, you can now submit your line for prime to be spoken in the movie!!

Enter via the Movie Site

12. falcon_prime

Jun 2, 2006
    I put one in!

13. AboutaSith

May 13, 2005
    I'm still scratching my head to think of one.

14. AboutaSith

May 13, 2005
  15. MALICE_MIZER

MALICE_MIZER Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 10, 2003
    How would anyone be able to submit a line for Optimus Prime, without having any knowledge of the context of the film? One of the judging criterea is relevance to the story, so unless there's a true script out there for entries to go on, the point of the contest is kinda unfair.

16. crazybirdman

Feb 24, 2003
    Definitely just a plot to get more people interested in the movie.

17. falcon_prime

Jun 2, 2006
    The trick is to think about what prime would say under the supposed situations. It is likly that this is there first time being aware of Earth. It is likly that Megatron and Prime have been fighting for eons. It is likly that he is still the nobel and strong leader that he has always been. Under these guide lines is how I put together my line.

18. AboutaSith

May 13, 2005
  19. crazybirdman

Feb 24, 2003
    oookay, what's with all thel ines from other movies making the list? Lame.

"Transform anf roll out"? Isn't that a given?

What am I missing with "Do a barrel roll"? Is that an inside joke?

"One Sshall stand, one shall fall" - they should do everything they can to distance this from the old movie. Otherwise they should just pull a Superman Returns and make the same movie over again.

20. LordJedi

LordJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 15, 2001
    Dude, the best one:

"Megatron, when I'm done with you, you'll be lucky if there's enough of you left to transform into a handgun!"

I'm voting for that one. What's up with the barrel roll line though? :confused:

EDIT: I would vote for that one if I could. It turns out you have to have submitted a line in order to vote. Lame!

21. AboutaSith

May 13, 2005
    That sucks. We demand freedom to vote, what kinda democracy is that?!?

Some of those lines look like they were pulled straight out the generic army/marine motto book.

What's the chances the line that wins was already included in the leaked script.

22. falcon_prime

Jun 2, 2006
    My entry did non make it. :(

I agree with you about the hand gun quote. That is the best one.

23. Enforcer_Draconus

Jul 19, 2004
    transformers isnt manly phil :p

24. falcon_prime

Jun 2, 2006
    In fact it is very mannly! Very very Mannly. Now stop picking on me :( I am going to play with me transformer and star wars toys now :(

*to self* not mannly. humf!

25. Enforcer_Draconus

Jul 19, 2004
    hehe i made Phil humf!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.