main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Statement on what happened to the mods

Discussion in 'Communications' started by PhilipWise, Feb 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    It's unfortunate that this has to end on such a bad note, and even worse, the community loses a hand full of great contributors.

I still have hope that something can be worked out.

2. SnaggletoothPaste

SnaggletoothPaste Jedi Grand Master star 1

Aug 19, 2002
    Cheri said:

Cpt_Obvious: I can totally see what Phil's saying. He doesn't want to be the sole person responsible for what's going on with the forums.

But he's the only one making a PROFIT from this site (aside from Josh), therefore, he should also have to shoulder any financial risks. He should be one of the two people held responsible--none of the mods are making a cent off this.

As a long-time member of rebelscum.com's forums, in my opinion, Philip is an extremely unreasonable, unpleasant person. He's simply going for a cash-grab now, with Ep.3 around the corner. Just because somebody is a collector, doesn't make them a fan .

3. LoyalJedi

LoyalJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 22, 2002
    I don't think it does, legally. But PW can say "Well, I put them in charge and they agreed to do their best to keep the spoilers out." Now, whether LFL will accept that as an answer, I don't know...unless they go and ask the mods directly...which would be a total trip. Imagine getting a call from GL, "Hi...is the user known as Darthsapient? This is George Lucas".

4. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
  5. Cheri

Cheri Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2000
    I agree that he's the one who owns the site, so he's the one it should come down to. But he doesn't want to be sued, hell no one wants to. He's trying to deflect and distribute the responsibility, which won't work. Why sue mods when LFL can go right for the owner, and the cash.

6. Rebel_Spook

Rebel_Spook Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2002
    Then he has full information on those deemed "responsible" and there is no hassle of trying to get the ISPs of the mods to give their info. We've already seen that ISPs dont have to give out info on file-sharers, so by that precedent they wouldnt here either.

EDIT: this is in answer to lord-darkhelmet from the previous page...

7. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002
    I just saw that KW and DLM resigned.They'll be missed. :(

8. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    KW and DLM have now resigned?

Jesus....what have you done Philip?

EDIT: I saw that thread right after I posted, Jeff. Me = dumb. :(

9. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Yep, see this thread, royalguard.

As for those with the conspiracy theories about suing the mods, there's a reason TFN is an LLC. Read up on LLC's and how they work.

10. lord-darkhelmet

lord-darkhelmet Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 10, 2003
    Rebel_Spook, yes but at the risk of repeating myself, how does this change anyone's liability? How does it make the mods more responsible legally?

11. Cheri

Oct 24, 2000
    Why else would he want their info then? I can't fathom any other reason. I'm sure it's not for their Birthday and Christmas gifts. Why wouldn't phone numbers suffice?

12. legacyAccount

legacyAccount Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2012
    the need for addresses as a way to contact mods in case of a lawsuit is simply a theory. there is no proof supporting this

13. MovieTrailerMusic

MovieTrailerMusic Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 17, 2004
    If that was the case Maiden then PhilipWIse would have told the mods that reason from the start. Philip and Josh are hiding out on us and the mods.

14. Darth Mischievous

Darth Mischievous Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 12, 1999
    The forum owners have an absolute right to personal information of those who are moderating their forums.

Like I've stated before on several occasions in this thread, it isn't a big deal.

If the owners require the information, then it should be given to them directly and not privy to the general public's eye.

Moderating isn't a popularity contest, and I'm sure the boards aren't going to 'fall down' simply because a few mods resign.

15. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    How many mods are left now?

16. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    Enough to last us until new mods are appointed.

17. MovieTrailerMusic

Feb 17, 2004
    I wouldnt expect new mods here. Unless they are all on crack or some drug.

18. SnaggletoothPaste

SnaggletoothPaste Jedi Grand Master star 1

Aug 19, 2002
    The "personal information" thing is a lesser issue when compared to the issue of how Philip Wise conducts himself, and how he treats other people, and the negative impact it's having on online SW fandom.

19. lord-darkhelmet

Sep 10, 2003
    I can see where ownership might want the names and addresses in case of a lawsuit in order to contact them to be witnesses. But I don't think Lucasfilm (or any potential litigant) gives a flying fig about who the volunteer moderators are or where they live.

20. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    But I don't think Lucasfilm (or any potential litigant) gives a flying fig about who the volunteer moderators are or where they live.

LFL might not care, but for some reason, Philip Wise sure does.

21. MovieTrailerMusic

Feb 17, 2004
    Lord-Darkhelmnt - I think this has to do with more then being able to contact mods in case of a lawsuit. They can easily contact mods through pm or email or even the ms. Philip is not coming clean with something and Josh isnt either. If a power hungry guy like KW leaves this forum you know its something really bad.

22. Jedi_Knight_Jonas

Jedi_Knight_Jonas Jedi Master star 3

Sep 26, 2003
    GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY

23. Cheri

Oct 24, 2000
    I agree with Jedi_Knight_Jonas on this matter.

24. MovieTrailerMusic

Feb 17, 2004
    i second that

25. lord-darkhelmet

Sep 10, 2003
    I'm not saying ownership acted appropriately in this, in fact I think they handled it very poorly. However, I do think it is reasonable for ownership to require the names and addresses of moderators. And I think the wild speculation as to the motivations of ownership in this thread (and others) is just plain silly. Yes, if they had just come clean and provided the reasons up front that would have probably prevented a lot of this, but that doesn't justify ridiculous speculation. If we must speculate, at least be reasonable about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.