main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Spring, MO ? STLFF Book Club (May Contain Spoilers) ?

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Darth Gangrenous, Mar 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Gangrenous

Darth Gangrenous Chosen One star 10

Jun 1, 2005
    Christina and I have been discussing a book club for the group and decided to give it a go. All are welcome to join. We will decide on a book to read then meet to discuss the book and whatever else we decide to talk about. The books we decide on can be any genera, not just Star Wars. No romance novels though! Our beloved CR Christina has talked with our contact at Borders Books and while they can not reserve space for us, we are free to make use of any space we can find.

Anyone that wishes to join, please let me know you are interested by saying so in this thread. This is still a work in progress so there may be some small changes to try and make the club better. Any and all input and suggestions are welcome. Any questions you have, you may ask here or you can PM me with them.

When: We will meet roughly once each month.

Were: Borders Books in Brentwood which is about a 1/2 mile to a mile south of the Galleria on Brentwood BLVD at highway 40/Eager Road, just off of I-170.

I hope we can make this a fun project. :)

2. DarthShoey

DarthShoey Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2003
    What's the first book gonna be?

3. Darth Gangrenous

Jun 1, 2005
    I haven't gotten that far yet, Tim. I'm first wanting to see how many people are interested in doing this.

4. jedi_runya

jedi_runya Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 4, 2005
    Thanks to Frank for agreeing to head this!

And of course, I am in! :D

5. Darth Gangrenous

Jun 1, 2005
    Thank you for offering this to me, Christina. :D

Rachel told me when we talked the other day that she is in as well so with you and Tim(if he wants in) makes three so far. :D

6. Jensaarai1219

Jensaarai1219 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    That sounds like a lot of fun. Don't know how it would work with school though.

7. twilek69

twilek69 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    I'm in too!

8. Darth Gangrenous

Jun 1, 2005
    The turn out so far is better than I expected. :D [face_dancing]

Renee, do you mean the actual reading of the books or having time to meet? If it's not being able to make all the meetings, you can post you thoughts on the book here in the thread when you can't meet with us. I'm going to ask Christina to edit the title of the thread to warn people that there may be spoilers posted in here.

EDIT: Speaking of spoilers, let's keep them to a minimum. If we get too deep with the spoilers(ie. giving away the plot and such), it may turn others off that haven't read the books yet or may cause some to want to leave the club.

9. Darth_Djinn

Darth_Djinn Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 16, 2004
    well as one of the honorary members of the STL I would love to join you guys but obviously as I am in KC I will have to particiate on the forums. also I would like to suggest maybe an occasional live chat and also maybe start with the X-Wing series of books...

10. Darth Gangrenous

Jun 1, 2005
    You are more than welcome to take part. :) Not everyone has the same IM services and probably not everyone would want to do that but for the ones that want to participate in that, a live chat is will be fine along with participation in the other ways.

I have no idea where or what box my X-Wing books are in. [face_blush]

11. spideymj

spideymj Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 4, 2005
    I think that is a great idea. If we could do them as live chats every once in a while or post our thoughts like on the lit. forum, then count me in too. I didn't say anything since I knew I could not make discussion meetings either.

12. Darth Gangrenous

Jun 1, 2005
    Glad to have you on board as well, Laura. :D

13. Darth_Djinn

Darth_Djinn Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 16, 2004
    what you do is the classic spoiler situation black HL on black text so you would get something like this...

Jacen is Luke's nephew

when you highlight it with your mouse it comes up.

14. Darth Gangrenous

Jun 1, 2005
    If people are anything like me, they are too damn curious to leave the black hl text alone. :p
    I always have to know what's under there. :p

I know what you mean but still let's keep the spoilers to a minimum. I don't really want posts looking like this:

Oh man, when Han bet that he could out drink Lando was so great but Jaina puking on Lomi and then Jacen slapping the crap out of the wog for barking in Corellian. was even better.

15. Lord_Tojo

Lord_Tojo Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 11, 2005
    Count me in...Hopefully I can keep up reading and make the meetings LOL

16. jedi_runya

Jan 4, 2005
    I love the idea of a live chat so those further away can be apart of this! Frank, I can look for a free chat somewhere, but what I really wanted to do was connect it to our website, but I don't know what the status of that is anymore. So I will look around...

I may have troubles keeping up at this point in time, with the testing I am doing, but I will do my best to say up with everyone. :D

17. Darth Gangrenous

Jun 1, 2005
    We have a website? Good luck on the tests.

18. SteelLepp

SteelLepp Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 1, 1998
    I'll look to see what free chat rooms we can add to our webpage. I've found one, but it only allows 10 chatters at a time. And it has ads (but I'm going to expect that for "free" )

19. jedi_runya

Jan 4, 2005
    Frank, I am not sure what the status of it is now. I will have to bug Dajuan again. If it is down, I will rebuild one. Won't take to long. :D

10 chatters might work. I don't think we have ever had that many show up for one of our chats before. :p

20. SteelLepp

Sep 1, 1998
    Found a better one :D Showed it to Christina for some testing, so we should be a go. 20 users and no ads :D

Not very often I actually get to wear my "web master" hat....lol

21. Darth Gangrenous

Jun 1, 2005
    'Bout time you earned your keep then. :p (j/k)

Ok Christina, let me know. :D

22. jedi_runya

Jan 4, 2005
    This is our current website address. Dajuan has paid for another year, so we are set with this one for now. The chat room Steel found is up and running, and looks wonderful!

23. Darth Gangrenous

Jun 1, 2005
    I went to the chat room. A lot of red Xs were present. I entered my 'nick name' like it said and got a big box with another red X. It doesn't like me. :( :p

24. twilek69

twilek69 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    Thank you Frank for doing this!!! I look forward to it!

May I suggest maybe a trading or borrowing of books too? I have some SW paperbacks that I would be willing to lend out. This would be up to each individual as I know some of us collect books they way other collect toys.

25. SteelLepp

Sep 1, 1998
    Of course, some of us collect books the way we collect toys too.....lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.