main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming The Super Mario Super Thread!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi_Nailbiter, Aug 2, 2002.

1. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    I got 70 Shines, haven't defeat Bowser yet. (Actually, can't get to it yet)

Some of the Mini-games are insane as Hell to accomplish, but finally I had it. :) Like Ricco Harbor, episode 4, took almost 1 whole day for me to be get thru it. 'Sandbird is Born' is actually very easy, once you played this Ricco Harbor episode.

Episode 6 of Noki Bay....DAMN!!!

2. homeless_jedi

homeless_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2002
    woooooooooooot???

bowser is in the game? i tought he was dead. damn you all just ruined it for me.. you should have warned me about that.

:(

3. Jedi_Nailbiter

Jedi_Nailbiter Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2000
    bowser is in the game? i tought he was dead. damn you all just ruined it for me.. you should have warned me about that.

Well so far Bowser is sort of in the game. How far are you? I don't want to spoil it.

4. Boba_Fett-001

Boba_Fett-001 Jedi Youngling

Sep 4, 2002
    So far I have 61 shines (stars same bloody thing LOL) in this game, not bad for picking it up on August 28th. Only thing I hate are those dang mini games from the most evil depths!

It's bad enough you have to do them, but when Water Mario takes your FLUDD away? DANG that's nasty hehe.

And there IS a Bowser in this game yes, but it's Bowser's son. You find that out as you progress in the game.

You can also get some "gear" for Mario in Delfina Plazza, talk to a guy under a beach umbrella. :)

As for hard levels, well Gelato beach was fairly easy once you get past the Sandbird stage. Noki bay is a real pain in the butt just getting up to the Secret Mini game in the "Shell" and oh yes that one stage with the Manta Ray boss, that was a ROYAL pain as well.

5. Jedi_Nailbiter

Jul 22, 2000
    Yeah, whats with that "gear"? Does it seriously help with anything?

6. Boba_Fett-001

Sep 4, 2002
    Honestly I don't know what the "gear" does. Obviousely the sunglasses make everything somewhat darker for you and gives Mario a different look, can't image later on what the Shirt would do other then to change the look again. :)

Knowing Nintendo though it's probably all linked into one big grand secret.

7. Jedi_Nailbiter

Jul 22, 2000
    Yeah, I suppose later on you'll need them to see something magical or something. But please, lets keep spoilers at a minimum here.

8. JediMaster22

Oct 15, 1999
    Beating Serena Beach episode I: MantaRay Boss ain't that hard!

Just create a Clean path that connect you from a Palm Tree (With Coins/Lives on them) to any water source.

And, with patience, you will eventually down all the LITTLE ones.

Now, Sunglasses doesn't do anything, I don't think!

You gotta beat Shadow Mario in every level, before you can even step into the Final level!

There are 11 Episodes in each level (except Corona Montain - Level 8): 8 it will show in the menus, 1 is 100 coins; and 2 are Secret ones, but could be a NEW game of an already-played mini-game, or Gold animals!

Each of the 7 Levels also has exactly 30 Blue Coins; Plaza/Airstrip has 20 together; Corona Mountain has 10.

So total blue coins is 240, which is 24 Shines.

120 total shines - 79 (11*7+1(Corona Mountain) +1 (Airstrip)) - 24= 17 (15 Plaza Shines + 1 Airstrip Shine at later + 1 100 coin)

9. Nai

Nai Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    I've had Mario Sunshine for a week now and have collected 86 shines. Unfortunately, I'm sad to say that I'm very disappointed. I've been a big supporter of Nintendo since the early days of the NES, so I really wanted to love this game.

Graphics - Not what I'd expect from a Gamecube A-title. In general they look nice and the water effects are simply amazing, but there are a lot of problems. The first thing that struck me was the truly awful color transitions in the FMV sequences. Rather than gradual shifts in colors for highlights and shadows, it's very sudden and makes the objects in question look like they're divided into colored bands. It's not quite as noticeable during gameplay at least. The second thing that bothered me was how distant locations become blurry, N64-quality, 2D textures. It's actually a rather clever way to deal with draw-distance issues, but why do the textures look so poor?

I'm convinced that the pervasive brightness has contributed to a number of my headaches, but I really didn't mind it so much, to be honest.

Controls - Simply frightful. Maneuvering Mario about is easy enough, but the countless times he went sailing over an edge instead of jumping or performed the wrong move really hamper the gameplay. Walking in a straight line along narrow surfaces or lining up jumps is as much a pain as it is in most 3D-world games. Having multiple functions for several buttons seems like a good idea, but it can be quite an annoyance in practice. You have to come to a complete stop to talk to someone or pick something up, which is a little trying when you're in a rush. Attempting to recenter the camera behind Mario while racing along an obstacle course has resulted in him doing a butt-smash and coming to a complete stop instead several times for me. And that leads me to the next point.

The camera is quite possibly one of the game's biggest failings. I've seen much worse in other games, but that hardly excuses Mario. Many challenges are more a struggle with the camera than anything else. Being completely blinded by the terrain is a woefully common occurrence. The c-stick camera controls help alleviate the problems somewhat, but the camera has a tendency to get stuck on objects and just isn't effective when you're surrounded by enemies and in a hurry.

Gameplay - I must say, I was really having a blast when I first started playing Mario Sunshine. Cruising along the rooftops with the FLUDD hoverpack was great fun. My enjoyment of the gameplay didn't last long, however. Along came the major bane of the game: the "void zones." I can't begin to express how much I hate these things. I believe they were intended to have a very "old school" feeling, which I suppose is appropriate, considering I wasn't much good at those games either. Replaying the same obstacle course and dying five, ten, twenty, thirty times just isn't my idea of fun. Each successive challenge in these zones becomes more and more difficult, which is understandable from a game design perspective, but many of the courses are very long. Even worse, it can often be quite a challenge just getting to the "void zone." You can't skip them, meaning you have to do every one in all seven worlds. At one point I was stuck on a "void zone" in four different worlds. Needless to say, my will to play the game started to evaporate at about that time.

Another factor is how mercilessly unforgiving the game can be. One little mistake and you can find yourself back in the hub world, minus one life. Sorry, try again. And again. And again. Fortunately, the "void zones" at least start you at the beginning of the course again.

Yoshi's inclusion in the game is nice, but doesn't add a lot. Compared to Mario, his jumping ability leaves much to be desired. I found the fact that he disappears when hungry rather annoying. I don't like having to rush, but that's just me, I guess. It could have been a lot worse, I suppose.

Aside from the aforementioned problems, the gameplay is fairly good. Otherwise I wouldn't still be playing.

10. pat-fett

pat-fett Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 17, 2001
    :( I wish I had the dough to get this game. Sounds fun. My reserve funds are waiting for The Clone Wars,Bounty Hunter,and AOTC DVD.

I agree that RL was diifficult to get through.

11. JediMaster22

Oct 15, 1999
    Get a job, and work 40+ hours a week :p

12. JediMaster22

Oct 15, 1999
    >I'm convinced that the pervasive brightness has contributed to a number of my headaches, but I really didn't mind it so much, to be honest.
    <

Turn down Monitor's brightness, or Get SunGlasses?

>The World - This was my biggest disappointment. Compared to Super Mario 64, Sunshine's world feels downright small. Half the number of worlds as Mario 64, each comparable in size, if not smaller. Most of the action in the hub world takes place around Delfino Plaza itself, which really isn't as interesting as Peach's Castle. It feels like there's really less to the world than in Mario 64, fewer secrets to discover.
    <

Nah, I personally think Super Mario Sunshine's world is MUCH bigger, it adds more to it when certain episodes are played.

13. Nai

Nai Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    As I said, I didn't really mind the brightness. I've learned to seek out the sunglasses guy in brighter levels. I get headaches pretty easily, though, so it's not just this game. I admit my memory of Super Mario 64 is a little hazy since I haven't played it in years, but it really seemed like the worlds were bigger. I don't remember getting the constricting feeling I get from Mario Sunshine.

Anyway, I finally finished the last "void zone" today and have now completed all the episodes in every level. I now stand at 92 shines with 51 unspent blue coins. It certainly feels great to complete some of the challenges, but I'm not sure if it was really worth the frustration. I found that it helped to take frequent breaks.

14. pat-fett

Mar 17, 2001
    Get a job, and work 40+ hours a week

Bah I had a job but now that I'm in Colledge I have no time. :p

15. JediMaster22

Oct 15, 1999
    Yeah, although I DISAGREE with you that any of the Bugs, gameplay, graphics is that BIG of a matter. However, I do agree with you, that some of the mini-games or Void zones (As you like to call it) ARE frustrating, I wished you could skip them.

Why they don't continue give you anymore rewards (Anything that credit you the Efforts, maybe an Easter Egg movie clip?) after 50 shines, they should do that. Argh!

Also, they needed an Ice level [face_devil] with these little cute Penguins dancing abouts (like Mario64 did) but so far there is none :(

16. Nai

Nai Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    Well, an ice level might have been a bit odd on a tropical island. Personally, I never liked ice levels because I hate slipping out of control. I remember dreading them as far back as Super Mario Bros. 2. A cameo by that huge penguin you race in Mario 64 might have been nice, though.

17. Jedi_Nailbiter

Jul 22, 2000
    NOA seems to have sneaked in stupid subliminal messages into the game. "Always remember to brush your teeth," and "Never forget to take care of your pets." What the hell?

18. pat-fett

Mar 17, 2001
    lol It's thier plan to program you.

19. Nai

Nai Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    Upon beating the game, I think I may have been a bit harsh in my review. I find it to be a rather flawed game, but overall it's fairly good. Some parts are even better than Super Mario 64, some parts worse. All in all, a solid buy.

20. JediOverlord

JediOverlord Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2000
    I've had Super Mario Sunshine for the past couple weeks,and I've gathered 33 Shines so far. I've gotten dizzy playing the game,probable becuase of the camera movement. The void zones are just a real killer. I'm just going to take it easy playing it.
    Right now,part of me doesn't care if I beat it or not. I'm getting to a point in my life that I can't take quest-based action-adventure games. I made it to the final level of Rogue Leader,but I decided to just quit it there when I couldn't even get into the Death Star superstructure itself most of the time. Right now,I'm not sure if I am going to even get Bounty Hunter and The Clone Wars.

21. Boba_Fett-001

Sep 4, 2002
    If anything I will wait until the Gamecube Gameshark comes out by Interact, then we see how much REAL fun we have in those stupid Secret void levels MUAHAHAHA! :D

22. Nai

Nai Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    I started a new game and this time around many of the void zones don't seem quite as bad. I find I'm able to beat most of the earlier ones without even dying now. There are a few I'm definitely not looking forward to, so I'm not sure how far I'll go on my second game. I won't even try the red coin secret shine challenges... the mere thought of having to collect red coins in those void zones while racing the clock is truly horrifying, even though you can use FLUDD to do them.

23. Boba_Fett-001

Sep 4, 2002
    The one red coin level I found a real pain in the rear was the "Sand Bird" level. Sure it's a big bird and all but when the dang bird tips over to fly around towers WOAH!

24. JediMaster22

Oct 15, 1999
    It's easy once you have mastered Ricco Tower Mini-game!

25. Nai

Nai Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    I didn't think the sand bird level was that bad, actually. The first time you see it flip on its side is a bit of a surprise, but it's not hard to deal with it when you know it's coming. Just stay on the neck. Getting all four blue coins in the level is another matter, though. I did the red coins first, then came back for the blue ones.

I thought the non-"void zone" mini-games weren't too hard, except for the pachinko and blooper racing ones. I hate those bloopers.

On a different note, did anyone else find Shadow Mario to be ridiculously easy to beat? Even if he gets away from you, he eventually stops and waits for you to get free shots on him.