main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Calgary SUPERMAN RETURNS - TUESDAY, JUNE 27TH 10PM SUNRIDGE SPECTRUM.

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by StacyD, Jun 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StacyD

StacyD Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 6, 2006
    S'up folks,

Just checked the Cineplex Odeon website to see if there was a midnight showing of Superman Returns, and I think I've done one better:

http://www.cineplex.com/movies/movie_information.asp?movie=202C78DE-BF49-4251-BD43-21EE22CBDDFB&rm=Superman+Returns+%28No+Passes%29

Gonna call on my break and double-check if this information is legitimate, but if it is who wants in? I know I'm going.

~Dooks the Elder.

2. veritate

veritate Jedi Master star 2

Oct 25, 2004
    Wasn't there discussion around seeing this in IMAX (3-D)?

3. echosevin

echosevin Jedi Master star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    I think I mentioned wanting to see it on IMAX at Jay's bbq, but not everyone was an IMAX fan. I still think I'm going to see it there - there's a 10:15 pm show on Wednesday night, at Chinook.

Elder Dooks - that link didn't bring me to a page with showtimes. Just the general synopsis page. What exactly is better than midnight??[face_thinking]

4. PreludeRM

PreludeRM FanForce CR, & Fanforce Council Calgary, Alberta star 4

Oct 28, 2002
    They areplaying it at 10pm on tuesday night not midnight on wednesday.

5. StacyD

Feb 6, 2006
    Yes, the 10pm show on Tuesday is what I'm shooting for. IMAX would be cool, but I primarily just want to -see- the film playing. I've already obtained tickets for myself and the younger, and anyone who wants to come and watch me dissolve into a frothing puddle of utter fanboy is more than welcome to come. ~.^

~Dooks the Elder.

6. whisperjedi

whisperjedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 19, 2005
    So is the Tues. 10pm, june 27, show in Imax?

7. Dooks

Dooks Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    I'd like to see it in IMAX after seeing the regular version first so keep a guy posted on IMAX shows.

8. StacyD

Feb 6, 2006
    As far as I can tell the Tuesday show is non-IMAX. Not that I care, I've only been waiting about 20 years for a new feature film starring the Last Son of Krypton.

Superman! Woo!

~Dooks the Elder.

9. Starkiller77

Starkiller77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 29, 2005
    What, you didn't buy me a ticket? You're ruthless! I'm so in! As usual, I've got an early hockey game and wouldn't get there til about 9...

10. ravencrow666

ravencrow666 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 23, 2006
    sundridge is a bit too far for me but if anyone is going to west hills or maaby chinook

11. Dooks

Jul 5, 2005
    Neil that's what I said when he told me he picked up tickets I think the excitement may of effected his thinking either that or red krytonite.

12. StacyD

Feb 6, 2006
    Neil,

ACK! I totally spazzed on that. TOUCH NOTHING! I will obtain a ticket for you ASAP.

~Dooks the Elder.

EDIT, 2:08am: Ticket purchased Neil. Again, touch nothing!

13. Starkiller77

Dec 29, 2005
    Thanks guys! I'll now read 'The Man of Steel' and watch the Fleischer cartoons in your honor. Nothing beats John Byrne and WWII propaganda!

14. Dooks

Jul 5, 2005
    Good call my friend.

15. StacyD

Feb 6, 2006
    Neil,

Right on pardner. 'Man of Steel' mm? Good stuff, though I think I might snag my Superman: Birthright trade from Ryan. Check it out, it's quite good: http://www.dccomics.com/graphic_novels/?gn=2410

If you're looking for a nice lead-up to the film, DC's putting out four 'prequel' comics authorized by Singer:

http://www.dccomics.com/comics/?cm=5419

I've read the Krypton to Earth issue; not too bad, though essentially it's all the Brando Jor-El stuff from the original Superman film. Looking forward to the Lex issue though. . .heh heh heh. [face_devil]

~Dooks the Elder.

16. Jedi_Ranger_007

Jedi_Ranger_007 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2004
    Well, a Tuesday showing is out for me, but I was planning on visiting Calgary on Wednesday. Is anyone making plans to see it on Wednesday, IMAX or regular? I eventually want to see both versions.

17. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    Gonna see if there any tickets left for the show tomorrow night. But I have to work late -if I manage to procure a ticket, would you guys mind saving a seat for me?[face_praying] I'll post if I get it....

18. Dooks

Jul 5, 2005
    Done deal.

19. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    Ticket procured!! Yay! See you guys tomorrow night! Dooks, I've got your cell so I'll call you when I'm on my way to the theatre.

Not as big a 'fanboy' as you lot, but I did watch the double feature on Space Sunday night (Superman and Superman 2). I forgot how much I loved Christopher Reeve and his Superman. The man was amazing!! I keep hearing snippets from Routh interviews in which he says 'he was destined to be Superman'. It worries me a bit - hope we're not disappointed. Just saw Spacey on Leno - another AMAZING actor! Can't wait to see his Lexx...=P~

Working late, and hopefully won't have to miss saber class...in just 11 hours and 32 mins we'll be 28 minutes into the show!!!

20. Starkiller77

Dec 29, 2005
    In the last couple of days I've watched most of the Fleischer cartoons, the first 2 flicks, and reread 'The Man of Steel'. I'm all preped and starting to get anxious...

21. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    SUPER AMAZINGLY INCREDIBLE!!!

I can always tell if a movie has impressed me, when, after I've seen it, I DREAM about it. Even though I only got 4 hours of sleep last night, all I did was DREAM of SUPERMAN. Not those silly little dreams of how cute he is, or him rescuing me...but the replaying of every action sequence in THIS film. EVERY use of his super powers and amazing feats BLEW ME AWAY!!! All the 'nods' to the first film were SO COOL!!

Routh brings his own essence to Kent/Superman and he does a fantastic job. It's a different film - darker, more serious but lots of fun too. Spacey's Luther is viciously wonderful. A REAL threat to Superman. There were a few slow spots in the film, but thinking back on it, I didn't really mind.

Can't wait to see this in IMAX 3-D!!!!

Dooks - if we get tickets for tonight, I'll call you :D

22. Dooks

Jul 5, 2005
    BEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE EVER MADE!!!!!!!!! pretty much everything echo said about the movie is correct just a fantastic movie all around. Routh is perfect as both the man of steel and Clark and fills the suit out tremendously. Just seeing him flying gave me chills and the action was awesome just like in the comics. 5 out of 5 on this movie blows X3 out of the water for your summer comic book movie entertainment.

Echo - yes please let me know if you do get tickets I'll also ask the elder if he wants in aswell.

23. Vadersmistress66

Vadersmistress66 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 2005
    So... what you're trying to say is it was good? lol, sounds like you all had fun.

24. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000

Posted by ravencrow666

Date Posted: 12:19am Subject: SUPER MOVIE RECAP
    SUPERMAN was extreamly well done, and while Routh is not Reeves he does a great job filling the shoes. Spacey blows Hackman out of the water bringing a more realistic Luthor to the screen. awsome movie

25. SAND-CRAWLER

SAND-CRAWLER Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    I agree and disagree with that statement. Yes, Christopher Reeves did a better job playing Super"man", but Brandon Routh did a better job playing Super"god". What I mean is that Reeves Superman was very human. He was cool and suave as Superman and funny as Clark. The problem with Reeve's portrayal is that it is a little too human and like he was a human being endowed with godlike powers. Routh's (Singer's really) version of Superman portrays him as a god first and formost that is forced to live among humans because there are no other of his race left. Singer's "Superman Returns" gives us the other character depth of Superman that Reeves never showed, the fact that he is Kryptonian godlike being and the protector of the earth and not just a man with superpowers. People say that Reeves did a better job with the character, but I think Routh did just as well. Routh actually portrayed a god-like character that was trying to act human. His Clark wasn't as quirky as Reeves because he ISN'T human and shouldn't act that funny. I was a little grated at first because the portrayal of Superman wasn't the same as Reeves, but after letting the movie settle in, I believe that Singer and Routh did a SUPERB job at protraying superman as who he really is; a god among men and not just a Super"man".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.