main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SW Timeline Gold & ChronoRadio Announcements

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Nathan PTH, Sep 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nathan_P_Butler

Nathan_P_Butler Author, Star Wars Tales #21 star 4 VIP

May 23, 2003
    I usually wouldn't post this, since it's not Star Wars related, but if you're into my other stuff, you might be interested in knowing that my full-length original audiobook, Echoes, is now complete. The final two chapters were just released online. You can find it at:

http://www.starwarsfanworks.com/echoes/

2. StartCenterEnd

StartCenterEnd Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 2, 2006
    Hey Nathan! I listen to your bitching and moaning and "Oh yeah!"s for about 6 months now! ;) I LOVE your show, man. Its awesome. I was wondering what that girl thought of Ep.3...the one that was on Losing the Big V. Dianna or something? I just would like to know what she thought of ROTS and if she still likes SW.

Good luck, brother.

3. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    Glad you're enjoying the show.

Speaking of which . . .

ChronoRadio #27 is now available!

heh

As for Deanna, if you want to hear what she thought of ROTS, check out Episode VI of the show Star Wars and Beyond, hosted by Robbie Chastain. You can find it here:

http://www.starwarsfanworks.com/swab.html

4. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    Looks like the next SWT-G release will be *tomorrow*. I'm adding in random events out of Betrayal and some from Triple Zero tonight, along with reading and summarizing the stories from Clone Wars Adventures #5. Once those are done, I"ll be wrapping it up and prepping for tomorrow's release.

5. StartCenterEnd

May 2, 2006
    Awesome. I better get reading and finish up Betrayel! One more question:

Do you still plan to do a ROTS feature length audio commentary? When do you think? I love them all! And what about for the OT?

Just saying you got a fan here, dude.

6. sabarte

sabarte Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    I just got around to reading through the whole timeline :) That's some good work there, I'm impressed! I did notice in the timeline an issue with Legacy of the Jedi - there's no indication that Qui-Gon's knighting was actually two years after the prior segment. It's at least two years, clearly, but it doesn't seem like it had to be immediate. But maybe I'm missing something ;)

7. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    Sabarte: I'd have to look into it. The edition for tomorrow is done, but I can check it out for the next one.

SCE: I'm not doing a commentary for the Classic Trilogy films (any of them), but I am for ROTS. This time, though, it should be a one sitting, live recording with me and Amanda Davis, rather than a bunch of pre-recorded bits that I edit together like previous ones. It should be out sometime this summer, but I don't know for sure when.

8. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    The Star Wars Timeline Gold #40 (June 2006) is now released!

9. StartCenterEnd

May 2, 2006
    Hey, Nathan; I just wanted to say, I think your show is really awesome and just wanted to thank you, man for giving us such a fun and cool show and spectacular timeline! You deserved that radio award all the way. You made me a better fan than I already was and really deepened my interest in SW. I've been listening to your show for a couple months now and still haven't listened to all episodes but I didn't want to just be known in the donwload count..I wanted you to know how much I love your show, and listen to atleast one episode every week. Its really really great and I appreciate all you've done for fandom and SW radio. I regret that I found out about this so late and am heartbroken that its gonna end in a year, but happy for the ride and just wanted you to know, you've done a great job and are really cool for not being afraid to let your geek flag fly. Thanks alot, and if there is anyway I can help you with the show or do anything for your site or whatever, don't be afraid to ask me. I'd love to find a way to be on your show, even though I'm not the best talker and stutter alot, but I'd love a try, just saying if you need someone for a future episode.

Anyway, just wanted to say, thanks man, keep it up and may the force be with you, Nathan. Always. [face_peace]

10. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    Thanks, SCE. It's always good to hear some good thoughts on the show, especially in periods when the workload seems to be overshadowing the feedback. :)

I'm right alongside you, in a sense, as far as catching up on old episodes. I'm intending that the very last episode will be "Special Edition #4" in May 2007, which is meant to be a retrospective about the entire series. To do that, though, I have to go back and listen to all of the old CRs over again and take notes so I know what to say, what quotes to grab from old episodes, and so on. I've listened to 17 of them over again so far, which gives me, oh, 60 to go before I'm caught up to the current episode.

Just as an idea of what I'm working on right now . . .

I've started some early work for CR #28 (August), and I'll be setting up times to record the two main segments with Bryan Patrick Stoyle and Brandon Harbeke sometime within the next week or two. I've just finished The Butlerniverse #5, which has a recording of a marginally SW-based panel from ConCarolinas 2006 ("Writing in Other People's Universes" with me, Michael D'Ambrosio, and C.J. Henderson)) that will be released June 15.

As soon as my voice is 100% back (I lost it during ConCarolinas and I've been sick for days now), I'll finish up CR #27.5 for July 1. That one will have the "Star Wars: How Would You Make It Better?" panel from ConCarolinas (me, James Kruczek, Michael Pederson), plus a recap of CC '06 and my brief (15 minutes, max) interview with Official Star Wars Adventure Journal creator Peter Schweighofer.

I've also started some minor work on the next SWT-G release, which I'm figuring will come out sometime before the end of the year, maybe late summer, maybe around Oct./Nov. (Not sure yet.)

And . . . (continuing to catch breath here) . . . This summer, I'm intending (assuming I have time) to get to work on several new projects.

First, there's "Star Wars: Intersections." This is an "Infinities" style written piece of SW fan fiction. Basically, one of my best friends had a story she wanted to tell, but lacked the writing skills to do so, so we've used her ideas and my writing to craft the story. I'm hoping to finish that this summer. It's about 25% done right now, perhaps.

Second, there's "Echoes: Unity." I've just gotten my first full-length novel out there ("Echoes") as an audiobook (and soon a print-on-demand published text version you'll be able to get through lulu.com), and reaction was so positive that I'm intending on starting work on a sequel this summer, entitled "Unity." You can hear more about "Unity" and a spoilery interview about "Echoes" in the June 15 edition of Bob Crissman's podcast, "The Jedi Council Speaks."

Third, there's "RAGE" or "Run and Gun Experiment." RAGE is basically a case study extension of my podcast Fan Audio Made Easy (FAME). It will follow the creation of a very short "run and gun" Doom-style audio drama segment, taking note of all of the steps in the creative process. Basically, it's lessons from FAME shown in action in RAGE. Even if I finish that this summer, it won't be released until at least February 2007, once FAME is over.

Finally, there's "Context," an audio drama series (7 episodes) that I dropped years ago and am considering picking back up. It follows a group of four college students who all happen to be SW fans. It's not a "geekdom" sort of story, so much as it is the story of everyday young adults who have a shared "context" to their worldview from Star Wars. Think "Dawson's Creek" or something similar (young adult drama) but with a SW fan slant.

So . . . I have stuff still coming, even if CR's ending. And once CR ends, SW topics will be fair game on The Butlerniverse. The main reason I'm ending CR is just to get away from a set format and set release schedule. As my career moves along and I look ahead to things like marriage, kids, yada yada, I realize that doing CR as it is currently being done won't be possible eventually, so I'd rather it go out on top than end up fading away. :)

11. StartCenterEnd

May 2, 2006
    Yeah, real life can really be a pain in the back side. ;) Don't worry, I understand why your ending the show, Its just a bittersweet thing because the show brings me and alot of SW fans alot of joy. It really helps with my depression too. I hope you feel better soon, Nathan and I'm looking forward to august. Thanks for all the heads up on your upcoming projects, I'll be sure to keep an eye out for them.

BTW: Is there Anyway I can be a guest on your show?

12. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    Not sure about guest stuff. I don't know what slots are filled off the top of my head. However, if you want to record and send in a letter, go for it, or if you want to just sent a letter that I can answer on it, go for it. If nothing else, perhaps a Butlerniverse at some point would work as far as on-air someday.

Also, I should point out, you don't need to wait until August for a new CR. The next one is #27.5 on July 1. I JUST finished editing it, so it'll show up then, plus there's The Butlerniverse #5 on June 15, the Echoes interview on The Jedi Council Speaks on June 15, and a new ep of FAME on June 15.

:)

13. StartCenterEnd

May 2, 2006
    Allright. Sounds good. :)

14. Melda

Melda Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 27, 2003
    Hey there Nathan. :)

(Wow, it's been years since I've posted on this site :p)

I have some questions about the Timeline Gold you've published (excellent project, by the way!).

I might just do them in allotments . . . first up, in the current edition of the Timeline (40?), on page 834 you have this entry:

â?¢ The Rebel Alliance is renamed the Alliance of Free Worlds.
    (conjecture based on Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game--"Truce at Bakura
    Sourcebook")

However, on the pages before that you have 'x planet / z person joins the Alliance of Free Worlds', as opposed to '. . . joins the Rebel Alliance'. Is there an in-universe reason for this? Or is the entry misplaced?

Also I noticed one of the entries was duplicated -- with a few other entries separating the copies (sorry, I can't remember where it was, or what it was, though. :().

I'll post more questions as I come up with them. I do have some questions about dates, but I'll wait until I've compiled enough data to make it an intelligent question. :)

15. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    Any questions are welcome, though I won't always remember the reasoning after all this time. :)

As for the Alliance of Free Worlds thing, that was an error, but not quite the error you think.

Actually, the Alliance became the Alliance of Free PLANETS, and I was working under the impression that I'd never set an exact entry in there for when the name changed, so those joining listings and such could be anywhere around the era when the name was swapped for the Marvel issues. I've now fixed it by correcting the name change entry to have the correct name (so it now shows up with edit...find) and then moved it to just before the first entry to reference the AOFP.

16. Melda

Apr 27, 2003
    More nitpicking. On page 852, this entry:

? The Alliance of Free Planets (formerly the Rebel Alliance) issues the Declaration of the New
    Republic. Mon Mothma, Leia Organa, Sian Tevv, Borsk Fey'lya, and other representatives
    sign the document at Endor.
    (conjecture based on sources all over the continuity)

Seems to be contradicted (locations-wise) by this entry a few points above it on the same page:

? Having abandoned their base near the Bright Tree Village on Endor, the Alliance of Free
    Planets remains abroad, planning the capture of Coruscant. Meanwhile, other Alliance
    traders soon establish Salfur?s Trading Post on Endor.
    (conjecture based on Endor and the Moddell Sector)

Like I said before, I'll get around to my proper questions once I get through the timeline a bit first. ;) (once I scour any relevant information that I'm looking for from 6 - 10 ABY)

17. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    That one is a matter of that era where the names were all screwed up. Some sources used the AOFP, some used the NR name. It does make more sense to flop those, so long as there's a note with the abandonment that calls it the NR and notes that some were still calling it the AOFP at the time. I've now tweaked that for the next edition.

18. Melda

Apr 27, 2003
    Three questions for the moment:

1) Using the Galactic Calendar of the Great ReSynchronisation (of 35 BBY), the first month of the year is Elona, correct? (Using the Tapani naming convention)

So by extention of that, when the New Republic adopted the Battle of Yavin as the zero point, was the first month in the year the same as before, or was the beginning of the year changed to coincide with the actually Battle of Yavin event?

I'm hoping that they simply said 'The Battle of Yavin happened in the third (or whatever it is) month of 0 ABY', rather than 'The Battle of Yavin happened at the beginning of 0 ABY'. Because that would really screw up calendar systems if that's the case. Please let it not be so. :)

2) If I understand the Galactic Calendar correctly, the first and second months of the year are x:1 and x:2, respectively. The festival weeks, then, are designated by x:F1 x:F2 and x:F3 then, correct? If that is the case, then how are the three holidays in the year represented with that format? Would it be x:H1, or would it be an extra day added to the month before it, so . . . x:2:36?

3) The Tapani naming conventions for the calendar . . . would they be widespread throughout the galaxy at all? I am wondering if it would make any sense for a New Republic outpost way out in the Outer Rim to be using the naming convention of the Tapani Sector, or if that would be illogical.

:)

19. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    1. On all of the 10-month internal SW calendars that we've been given, be it in HoloNet News, RPG materials, Galaxywide News Nets, or whatever, we've had AOTC and ROTS in the 5th month of the year, ANH in the 3rd month, and ESB in the 6th month. We've been able to use the references to Anakin's birthday in the AOTC novelization (and relative dating information from that issue) to figure out that TPM would've been in the 4th month of the year. That left only ROTJ, which is where the only confusion arises, as it depends on if we figure it's 4 years after ANH (3rd month) or 1 year after ESB (6th month). In most cases, it doesn't matter, because all of the "exact date" dates from Galaxywide News Nets ended (with the end of the Adventure Journal) well before it got close to ROTJ.

Anyway, that's only on the 10-month calendar. For the Clone Wars era, we were given a new 12-month calendar in order to make things easier for readers to understand. So, in order to make those dates make sense in relation to a 10-month calendar, we have to convert them.

M = months after AOTC on a 12 month calendar
    M/12 = Y
    Yx10 = months after AOTC on a 10 month calendar

Anyway, those all still used that calendar where ANH is in Month 1 and AOTC/ROTS are in month 5, given dates in GWNN and HNN.

Now, it wasn't until long after this had been established that the BSW4/ASW4 convention that had been created (I believe) for the "Guide to the SW Universe" was renamed "BBY/ABY" and all of a sudden said to be an INTERNAL SW dating convention. We have still never seen it actually in use in in-universe documents, to my knowledge, but we're told that people have started thinking in terms of the Battle of Yavin as the zero year (which, frankly, makes no logical sense, given that Yavin didn't mark the end of the Empire, nor its beginning, nor any other significant event other than one Death Star's destruction, but that's another argument entirely).

We'd been using these relative dates for years anyway, but now they were in-universe too. Luckily, it's never been put to the test. So, for timeliners such as myself, we can use both systems. If we remember that ANH is the "zero moment" for BBY/ABY or BSW4/ASW4 dating, then we just have to keep in mind that every 10 months before ANH means a new year BBY, and every 10 months after ANH means a new year ABY. In other words, we can chronicle the events, but we have to be sure that when we split the years on such a timeline, we are splitting the years at the Month 2/3 mark, NOT the Month 10/1 mark.

That's how the SWT-G deals with the issue, and I make sure that when exact dates are known, I make note of them in the entries. For the most part, the majority of SW fans don't care about the internal dating. They simply care about the relative dating with ANH as 0.

2. To be honest, I don't know that I've ever actually seen the holidays noted in an exact date. It might very well be H1 or H2, or it might be something totally different.

3. We've been told before that the Tapani names are just for the Tapani Sector. The format of the year is the same across the galaxy, but the names are local. The only reason I stick to Tapani names is because those are the only names we've ever been given, and it's the easiest way for people to keep exact dates straight within a year without having to resort to a numbers-only approach.

20. Melda

Apr 27, 2003
    1) Oh . . . what a nightmare! I was hoping that the ABY/BBY calendar would use the year of the Battle of Yavin as the zero point, rather than the actual time of the event . . . ugh. So, assuming that 0 ABY now starts about two to three months into what was the actual year before (*cringes*), does that mean that the calendar months were shifted back two to three months to keep the same pattern of months in the year (two months, one holiday, one month, one festival week, etc.), or was suddely the year beginning on the third part in the parentheses there (one month, one festival week, etc.)?

I am finding this incredibly confusing . . .

Would this confusion be spared by merely using the Great ReSynchronisation system?

The reason I ask is because I'm part of an online gaming club (mostly LucasArts flight sims, but has fiction-writing, roleplaying, RTS and other parts), and we're hoping to get our in-universe timeline moving along. Which means that having 'news updates' from the galaxy at large would be handy for contextualisation (since we're based way out in the Outer Rim, that's the justification for only getting one news update per week).

I was hoping to use the Timeline Gold as a reference point (with your permission) to help pinpoint approximately 'when' things happen in the EU timeline. So that when we reach that point, we would write up short news articles explaining what is going on in the galaxy (e.g. Coruscant falls to the Empire!).

We're actually set around 9 ABY (or late, late 8 ABY) at the moment, which means that the ABY/BBY system hasn't actually been invented yet by the New Republic Historic Council, so I'm just trying to figure out which dating system is going to be easiest to work with.

Hence my confusion with 'does the beginning of the year change between calendar systems?'

As for Tapani naming conventions -- thank-you for that, I'll make sure I avoid it now, knowing it wouldn't make much sense in-universe. :)

21. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    There really isn't an answer yet on how they dealt with the months after the BBY/ABY convention, other than saying "five months after, a year and five months after," etc. I don't think anyone's dealt with it.

It'd be easier just to use the calendar as used for Galaxywide News Nets and Holonet News for now, probably, and just keep in mind that you're not actually reaching a year mark in relation to ANH until you reach that Month 3 mark.

22. Melda

Apr 27, 2003
    Okay, thanks for that! :)

So using the ReSynchronisation system? (with the Battle of Yavin happening in month 3 of year 35?)

So therefore, is it safe to say that for every year listing in the Timeline Gold, that the start of every year is around month 3, while the end of each year is around month 2?

23. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    Exactly! You've got it. :)

24. Melda

Apr 27, 2003
    Thank-you very much. =)

I'll inevitably get back to you with more questions once I've sorted out what we're doing. :D

By the way, do we have permission to use the Timeline Gold as a reference framework for the placing of events in our news system?

25. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    No problem. I'm always up for trying to help out.

And yeah, that's fine. Thanks for taking the time to ask, though. It's rare that people do (even when they're about to plagiarize the heck out of it for their own "original" timelines, heh).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.