main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SW TV Show

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Revolver86, Feb 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revolver86

Revolver86 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 26, 2002
    Do you ever think they'll do a full SW TV show again, animated or otherwise? If done right, do you think they could ever pull off a live action show at all? If you made the show, what time period would you do it on and what characters would you focus on?

2. jedi_superfly

jedi_superfly Jedi Youngling

Feb 9, 2003
    Always thought it would be cool to see a live action series with Mark hamill back as Luke (you just know he'd do it!)

Set it 25 - 40 years after ROTJ, new jedi knights, new adventures etc etc.....

Considering the effects we see in Sci-fi shows now, they would easily pull it off... it would also be good tonic after the post EIII blues

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    For the complete details on this topic, check out this thread over in Lit:

Quest's SW EU TV Show Layout!

To summarize, my basic suggestion would be to take the various comics and novels and such, break them down into two or three 1-hour long episodes, and then group them into seasonal categories so that each season doesn't just tell a bunch of stories but has an over-arcing theme or storyline that it tells (ie: in my layout, Season 1 is the Galactic Civil War, filling in between ANH up to ROTJ, Season 2 is about the Rebels capturing Coruscant, and positioning themslves up as a legimate government, Season 3 is about taking down the largest two Imperial warlords, Season 4 is about the final push by the Imperials and the reestablishment of the Jedi Knights, Season 5 is about the internal uprisings and political challnges that threaten the New Republic, and Seasons 6 and 7 tell the saga of the New Jedi Order).

And while it's true that 99% of the shows in my proposal would be adaptations of existing material- not that many people have read EVERYTHING, particularly the masses who would watch the show. So there'd be something new for almost everyone- besides, it's heck of a lot cooler to watch a space battle than to read about it ::)

The only real hurdle for a show of this caliber would be recasting the film actors. While that may turn some people off at first, it's a necessary evil. Besides, it wouldn't be the first time characters from a popular film were recast for a TV spin-off- just look at Stargate: SG-1.

So long as the actors look and sound vaguely like their film counterparts, I don't think it'd be much of a problem- heck, we'd probably end up with better actors anyways (the actress who played Leia's voice in the SW Radio Dramas runs circles around Fisher's acting). It'd be the same thing as a comic or video game depicting a character slightly differently, or a characterization in a book, or someone else's voicework in a SW Radio Drama, Audio Drama or Video Game.

4. Exar_Xan

Exar_Xan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 29, 2001
    It would be a great idea, but i doubt it will happen.

Quest, i saw that list of you before and must say it looks very impressive.

5. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    I would love a weekly show, especially if it were about the books. But I suspect it will never happen. I appreciate the Clone Wars cartoon, but we could have so much more if Lucas lightened up a bit.

6. Raincloud

Raincloud Jedi Knight star 5

May 1, 2002
    *iwannapostinshinynewforum*

:p

7. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    The thing that would set me drooling would be a TV show based in the X-Wing series. I think this could be one of the coolest TV shows ever. You could do it either CGI or live action.

I would kill for that.

8. joebafett

joebafett Jedi Youngling

Dec 2, 2000
    Personally, I'd like to see "The New Jedi Order" be made into a CG cartoon show like "Starship Troopers: Roughnecks". "NJO" is by far the best EU series that has be written and it would probably blow every other cartoon show out of the water. Even some of the more somber moments like Chewie's death, the destruction of Ithor and Corran Horn's anger over his friend (sorry, can't remember his name) being killed and encased in gold would make great drama. Add to that, the rescue of Jacen from the Vong by Luke wielding 2 sabers and the comedy of Lando's combat droids...this series would be a hit!

9. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    CG cartoon show like "Starship Troopers: Roughnecks"

I agree. That show was no nicely done. It beat the heck out of the horrible movie. Anything SW could be done amazingly with that style. I was hoping that the Clone Wars cartoon was going to be done in that style. . .

10. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    Agreed, I would love to see a CG-NJO series.

11. YT-1300_Pilot

YT-1300_Pilot Jedi Youngling

Feb 21, 2003
    I Think a live action TV show would take away from the Magic of the Main saga unless it was really really well done. You can't have too much of a good thing. It would suck if Star Wars turned into an everyday mediocre thing like Star Trek.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    With proper planning, it would be plausible for a live action show. Take Farscape as an example- that show costs less than $2 million an episode to prouduce, but the production values are still pretty high (especially considering the large amount of makeup work, animatronic creatures and such), it only needs a little bit of improvement in the CG starship araa, but with ILM at LFL's disposal, that wouldn't be an issue.

13. Valiant_Starlight

Valiant_Starlight Jedi Youngling

Feb 15, 2003
    I would hate to see some of the original characters in a live-action TV show. The CG animation of "Starship Troopers:Roughnecks" was 100 times better than the movie, and I think it would be perfect for a good Star Wars story such as NJO or Dark Empire.

14. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I wouldn't like to see a tv series but I wouldn't mind if a they made a mini series based on the Sith Wars or something like that! Imagine seing Tales of the Jedi brought to life! At least parts of it!

It would be horrible if they made a tv show with the original characters played by other actors! *shrugs*

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Eh, getting new actors to play the original characters wouldn't be so bad- so long as the actors generally look and sound close enough to them, I mean, lets face it, Mark and Carrie aren't exactly at the top of acting ability [face_batting]

To me, it'd be no different than an artist's rendition of the character being slightly different than a photo, or a different actor voicing the character in a video game or audio drama (the actress who played Leia in the audio dramas was 10x better than Fisher ever was), or, in a more recent example- a cartoon choosing a stylized depiction of the characters ::)

And, in some similar cases where a TV show spins off of a movie, the actors have actually improved upon the original portrayals- such as Stargate SG-1 and Buffy.

16. zeekveerko

zeekveerko Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    personally, i think every live-action spin off show that i've ever seen has been really poorly done -- buffy, the crow, stargate -- can't stand any of them. it's especially annoying when they change the resolution point of the original movie to create a sort of limbo for the story to just stagnate.

i've heard that there will be a clone wars cartoon, and this should be interesting.

also, the idea about the post-rotj show with mark hammil sounded interesting. more than likely, the show would have better effects than the original movie.

17. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    The X-Wing books are the most suited to television adaptation.

18. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I'd rather see the X-Wing series as a TV show than the NJO as well.

19. Spike_Spiegel

Aug 12, 2002
    It would make my little heart happy!

20. medleyoz

medleyoz Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    I agree that if a SW show was made it should be done like the Starship Troopers series.
    I would love to see a series based on the Sith War times using the comics that were released.

21. SaberGiiett7

SaberGiiett7 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    medleyoz: If my memory serve's me right there were some rumor's floating around about a possible TOTJ short series or even a actually show based on the Young Jedi Knights books which would be a straight out atrocity (for the YJK that is). 8-}

But I agree in general a cartoon or animated series simliar to Re-Boot yet based on the X-Wing series would be the safest insurence policy for the most fan's watching it to get maximum rating's. :D

I'd watch it.

<[-]> Saber

22. Spacehunter24

Spacehunter24 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2003
    I mean, lets face it, Mark and Carrie aren't exactly at the top of acting ability

Are you serious? Well, at least with Mark Hamill I mean. Come on. He's a great actor. Far underrated. I've always felt he had turned into a terrific actor. Even in crap like TIME RUNNER he still manages to give a good performance.

Back on topic, I think a show (animated, live-action, whatever) following the adventures of Rogue Squadron would be cool.

23. CieSharp

CieSharp Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2002
    Personally, I would love to see a New Star Wars television show with at least Mark Hamill reprising his role. I'm pretty sure he'd do it. I seem to recall a convention appearance that he did a few years back and he said he'd be open to new SW projects.

There are two big problems I see that can affect a SW TV show:

1) Budget: Look at every Sci Fi TV show (Babylon 5, Star Trek, StarGate SGI). The special effects, props, and costuming aren't nearly as great as what we see in the SW movies. Somebody really slick with getting the most out of a television budget would have to work very hard at maintaining Star Wars quality (let's just forget about the Holiday Special and the Ewok movies :p )

2) Fresh stories: I don't see how they can come up with great stories every week. Look how they screwed up Star Trek over the years (of course, my fellow SW fans would argue that ST was already screwed up since the beginning ;) ).

I agree with Quest, it would be a great idea to use stories that have already been used in comics, etc. that have worked very well.

Hey Quest, are you the same as QUEST32681 from the old days of AOL? This is JediCS. Dunno if you remember me. Anyway, long time no see. :)

24. Stridarious

Stridarious Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 27, 2002
    I would love a weekly show, especially if it were about the books. But I suspect it will never happen. I appreciate the Clone Wars cartoon, but we could have so much more if Lucas lightened up a bit.

yes a show based on the novels placed out by those great writters. That would be so cool! :cool:

25. Zethlin_Maximus

Zethlin_Maximus Jedi Youngling star 4

May 31, 2003
    A few mini-series cartoons based on the EU books and the original characters would be a good thing. Although, I wouldn't make a glut of them, like they did Star Trek. And if they were to be made by GL, then that would make them canon, rather than EU, wouldn't it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.