main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC Productions Present: The Official SW Community ROTS Spoiler Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Darth-Stryphe, Feb 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tatooine_Fireman

Tatooine_Fireman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2003
    I_AM_IRON_MAN:
    Yeah, he said the Jedi injured him. With what, a chemical burn? I mean, his injuries seemed pretty unusual.

We don't know what the general GFFA'er knows about the Jedi. Tarkin calls the Force a religion, and Han describes it as a mystical energyfield. I guess the Jedi are known for having mysterious powers, making it likely for them to believe that Palpatine looked the way he did because the Jedi unleashed those powers on him.
    I also think that the Jedi may have been popular during the Clone Wars, but I still think that Palpatine was even more popular. If he would say the Jedi turned against him, and backs this up with his scarred and deformed face, the people are likely to believe him.

2. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    I really have to watch ROTS again to see whether I still cringe at Palpatine's transformation into Skeletor...err..Darth Sidious.

"Poweeeer....UNLIMITED!!!"

[face_plain]

3. Hudnall

Hudnall Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 23, 2004
    And it just makes me mad, because all my other continuity questions are either directly answered by the film, or answerable with one minutes' worth of intelligent thought and reasonable assumptions of what happens over 20 years.

They are? Leia's memories? Owen not recognizing the most annoying droid in the Universe whom lived with him for 10 years?

In regards to your main concern, I do think Owen's reaction to hearing about Obi-Wan may simply be a concern that Luke may want to leave with the man who gave them the baby many years before. It was probably hanging over his head all his life. So, I don't think it necessarily has to look as "Owen dislikes Obi-Wan". He fears that if Obi-Wan enters Luke's life again, he will lose his adoptive son and that makes perfect sense to why he gets stuck into him.

Bingo.

I did like how Owen was visually kept at a distance. At least, it was a visual nod to the original 77 film. To me, it's showing that at least they remembered the other films exist.

Contrast that when Ewan is acting with humans, and it's the good ol' Ewan again.

Mostly true about the blue screen, Binary. But two of his worst moments come in the conversation with Anakin about his day "with glorious politicians" and a rather nonemoting "killed Younglings". He is hit and miss.

Personally, I think Hayden hit a lot more. That was perhaps the most demanding performance ever asked of a SW actor (Luke in ESB in a running tie) - and I think he pretty much nailed it. He still has "Hayden" moments, but his method acting got toned down a great deal and that acting coach must have helped him tremendously. He has some real human moments.

----

And lastly, thanks to Stryphe, Strilo, Adam, Quix and anybody who helped make this thread last. It has been a real pleasure. More than just a place away from the 3SA, I think I really appreciated how the conversation flowed from one spoiler to the next and to the next - without strict "topic" guidelines. Kept it alive - thanks a million for the hard work -

4. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    . But why is Owen all huffy-puffy about Obi-Wan? "That wizard's just a crazy old man" and all.

presumably because Ben pops by occassionally and annoys them with his advice on how to raise the boy . I think that as the years progress Owen realises that having a jedi hanging around is dangerous for his family . They probably had a falling out at one point about Luke's future .

And it just makes me mad, because all my other continuity questions are either directly answered by the film, or answerable with one minutes' worth of intelligent thought and reasonable assumptions of what happens over 20 years. But I can't crack this nut.

Well how about Leia's memories of her real mother ?

g

5. Patrick Russell

Patrick Russell Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    Personally, I thought the final scene was as close to perfect as Lucas has gotten in a long, long time. It was almost exactly what I'd always said the final scene of ROTS almost had to be, right down to the Force theme swelling in the background at the end. The only real difference at all between what I'd always seen and what ended up being in the movie was that I'd always thought of the final shot as being Obi Wan walking slowly off into the twin sunset, rather than Owen and Beru looking off into it. But that was back when I thought that Lucas would actually use the tragic character arc for Obi Wan that he'd set up in ROTJ. Since Lucas really didn't focus all that hard on Obi Wan's character arc in these films, I thought it therefore worked just as well to have the very last shot of the film be of Owen and Beru and the sunset instead of Obi Wan walking off into the sunset.

I had my problems with ROTS, but this was not one of them. This final scene made me tear up the first time I saw it.

6. TheAnointedOne

TheAnointedOne Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 2, 2002
    Well, the Anointed One saw the movie and I must say that it is surprisingly good. I mean, I can pick apart this movie, but in all fairness, I could do that with any Star Wars movie. The surprising thing is that the best moments in the movie in my opinion were not the action scenes, but the "character" scenes. The bad thing about the movie is that it is very rushed and Anakin's fall is not as believable or stressed as is could have been because Lucas wasted the first two movies and crammed everything in "Sith". I was quite surprised when I saw that Lucas actually let his actors act. They showed real emotion and they came across as being very natural and very human. Hayden actually smiled several times and Portman actually cried. For the first time in the prequels, Lucas actually let the these people be people and not tools.

So to sum it up, "Sith" is a very bittersweet movie that shows what the prequels could have been if it were in more capable hands or if Lucas cared enough to put his all into three movies instead of just one.

7. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Hawk said:
    Actually, that was one of my favourite parts. It made me realise that Luke inherited that stance from Owen...

Adam said:
    While hawk raises a good point that makes me like things a little more, Owen and Beru never really struck me as the types of people who looked off into the sunset.

Bingo! This is why I hate this shot. It not only completely contradicts Owen's character, but undermines it's power in ANH when we see Luke doing it.

Luke was the dreamer who looked up at the sun. Owen was the realist who was concerned with getting on with working.

Exactly. "Never his mind on where he was... what he was doing.. hmm?"

At least, it was a visual nod to the original 77 film. To me, it's showing that at least they remembered the other films exist.

To me, this was nothing more than an unimaginative effort to force the PT to fit the mould of the OT (ironic as it comes right at the very end). And it was an outright copy of an OT shot!! This was like a Kevin J Anderson novel where he has the characters repeat verbatim their dialogue from the OT.

Nothing worst than seeing a failed artist rip-off his earlier successful work...

The spoilers prepared me for all the worst parts... and I pretty much enjoyed the film in spite of them because I knew what and when they were coming... but I knew nothing about this shot being so blatantly ripped off. The only time in the cinema I actually said 'oh please...' in despair.

On a more positive note:

1) I got my wish!

When I first saw AOTC in the cinema, my first reaction to that shot of Windy and Yoda talking in the Senate was to imagine Mace slapping the green dude off the ledge and into the senate.

And it happened! (sort of) Yoda got tossed around in the senate. Something I found incredibly gratifying, and immensely funny because I could almost hear Yoda making Homer 'ow' sounds as he landed on objects.

2) Watch out Yoda!

You know of what I speak... a HUGE battle rages on the Kashyyk, Wookiees let rip and clones/droids die in Moderate Sized Explosions. Then we pan to Yoda calmly overlooking the battleground... and then a laser blast smacks into the platform mere inches away from Yoda and he freaks... waving his arms to balance himself before he jumps out of the way...

HILARIOUS!!

Ah... I love Yoda.

8. Hudnall

Feb 23, 2004
    The Yoda almost getting shot bit was great. LOL And it kind of subtly alludes to the "Order 66" montage in that even the best Jedi won't necessarily see it coming...

9. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    And it kind of sets up the "Order 66" montage in that even the best Jedi won't necessarily see it coming...

Hardly. The film is stunningly internally inconsistent when it comes to Jedi powers.

10. Hudnall

Feb 23, 2004

How is that? The montage?

Yoda hears the guns click and responds. Conehead reacts and blocks blaster fire, but too late. Amy Allen turns right before they blast her. Almost every Jedi reacts, but it is too little too late.

I don't see what you mean?

11. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    It's 2:15 PDT and this thread is still open. I will miss it when it is locked.

Still haven't seen the movie yet! Went to a SW party in Sacramento hosted by a local radio station, had fun.

12. Bud Frescoe

Bud Frescoe Jedi Master star 3

May 19, 2000
    "The film is stunningly internally inconsistent when it comes to Jedi powers."

Boy, you said it redxavier.

In the opening space battle, Obi Wan and Anakin are capable of flicking those little spaceship eating droids away with the Force, but forget that they have that power. And adding insult to injury, Obi Wan COMPLAINS that he can't see anything out of his windshield because it's all fogged up or whatever. Good grief, shouldn't he be able to fly that thing with his eyes closed? Luke seems capable of such things as early as the trip to Alderaan in ANH.

13. Hudnall

Feb 23, 2004
    Touche' - very good point. I can't argue with those two - but they are more examples of inconsistency with other SW movie rather than internally within REVENGE.

14. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    The Anointed One
    The surprising thing is that the best moments in the movie in my opinion were not the action scenes, but the "character" scenes

Yep. I agree. I was surprised how well all the main actors did....even Portman. I was expecting her to be a hard oak not a soft balsa.

15. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    Last night I had an interesting experience watching AOTC with two neighbors -- both women, both a bit simple minded, though very kind-hearted and funny. I had given one of them, Brenda, each STAR WARS film in turn, starting with ANH ('97 SE), and she said she loved them, and kept coming back for the next one. Well, last night we did the EP.II thing together -- I even showed her the deleted scenes -- and she LOVED it. She gasped and said "Oh no!" aloud when our heroes were in danger, and the love scenes b/t Ani and Padme really seemed to move her. Also -- get this -- she and her friend practically howled with laughter anytime Jar Jar showed up. They thought he was really cute and funny!

The plot intrigued her and she really got into the mystery aspect of the story, which I also enjoy. The action scenes in the Battle of Geonosis again made her gasp and cry out. She thought Anakin getting his arm lopped off was about the worst thing she'd ever seen happen to a "hero" in a movie.

My point in all of this seems to be, as I reflect on it, that perhaps we, as hardcore fans, judge these films too harshly. If a casual viewer such as Brenda can derive satisfaction -- even joy -- from watching even the weakest of the SW movies, why shoud we cast such dreadful aspersions on it? It served its purpose, at least its superficial purpose, of entertainment -- not in a mild way but by eliciting yelps of surprise, gasps of wonder and "hmmms" of thoughtful speculation as to the meaning of it all. For myself, I found that I was letting go of most of my criticisms of the movie, and that I too enjoyed just sitting back and having a good ol' time with STAR WARS!

P.S. When I asked her what was her favorite of the five films she'd seen, she thought a moment and asked "Which one was the one with the big walking machines in the snow?" ;)

EDIT: On topic (sorry!), I'm going to take her to see ROTS some time this week. I've warned her that it's dark and scary, but she doesn't mind -- she really wants to see how cute li'l Ani turns into Darth Freaking Vader!!

16. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Well, thank you all for posting. But the time has come.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.