main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Syal and Myri Fan Club: "You must be so proud."

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by imiller, Sep 8, 2012.

?

Syal or Myri?

1. Syal

26.5%
  2. Myri

38.2%
  3. Both

35.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imiller

imiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2004
    Oh, I'd wait, but totally with you - rather not. I mean, we got the first X-Wing series at a rate of about 2 or 3 a year. And yes, Allston is busy, and yes, he did have a heart attack when he was in that insane FotJ schedule. If they do make us wait two years, I hope they have a trilogy contract with him, and give him lead time so they come out quickly.

Dreams, dreams. Whatever, man. I just want more Syal and Myri and Wedge and X-Wings.

Katana_Sundancer likes this.
  2. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    More Allston, more pilots! Seriously though, they can not leave us hanging with no back story on Trey.

3. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    I know! Especially since I want some pilot romance, and he and Jesmin totally have a thing!

4. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Exactly, I really missed the romance factor in Mercy Kill. It's touched on in every other x-wing novel.

5. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    Me too! Especially with so much potential for it...

6. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Well there was that moment when Turman mentioned that he thought they could sell a trillion living suits if they only vibrated.

I didn't know whether I should vomit or laugh, and I still don't.

7. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    Hurk... :)

8. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Anyway, hopefully there will be another book with a little romance. I really want to see Syal in a committed relationship.

9. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    One that doesn't begin and end offscreen, and have death and tragedy :(

10. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    By the way, 'both' is a such a cop-out :p

11. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    One that's onscreen most importantly.

12. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    "Both" may be a cop out, but I thought it was fair, since we're mostly here currently for our love of Wedge and his legacy. Sadly, though I adore the Syal sections of Legacy of the Force and the Myri sections of Mercy Kill neither of them have had "starring" roles yet, and so our affection may sometimes be spread out.

13. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    I had a Myri thought this evening. You think she'll inherit the Errant Venture? I can't see either of the Horn kids being worthy of captaining the ship. I have trouble believing they are even related to Booster.

MiraxTerrik and Katana_Sundancer like this.
  14. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    Well, I rather like Valin and Jysella, but neither of them is anywhere close to as awesome as Myri. I think that would be completely awesome - and a great Wraith base/cover!

15. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    I like the idea of Valin and Jysella, it's just a shame they haven't been written much. Did they both end up helping out in the temple in Apocalypse or was that just Valin? I already forget. At any rate I was really glad to see those scenes. However, there's much more potential story line with Myri owning the Venture than either of the Horn kids. As you say it would make an awesome base for the Wraiths.

16. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    They both did. It was rather nice...despite the fact that it was Denning, and thus everyone acted and spoke like moronic teenagers and there was gore aplenty.

The fact that Myri is considered a protegee of Booster is interesting - though what about Mirax?

17. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Mirax doesn't really need the Errant Venture. She has a ship and her business has always done splendidly.

I've read lots of complaints about the gore in Apocalypse, however I re-read the Black Fleet Crisis last month and it was just as grotesque, maybe even more so.

18. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    Well, I guess. But it felt like the gore in BFC, while unpleasant, was never gratuitous. The way the Jedi kill the Sith, in particular, seems unnecessarily bloody and nasty. Of, course, I'm also partly reacting to the fact that I deeply disagree with the idea of Jedi assassination, even of Sith.

I think that Star Wars can have darkness and gore - but it can be on the margins - as Allston does in Mercy Kill.

19. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    That's why it's easier to like the non jedi. You don't have to try and figure out what they are supposed to be living up to. I also hate that Jedi can basicly get away with anything and move on in life.

20. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    :) I take it you are in line with a Traviss view of Jedi? :)

I personally like the way Wedge taught his daughters - the Jedi are immensely powerful, often good, but always human.

21. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    I've only read Travis in LOTF, she had Ben kill and there were no consequences for that kill. That's all that stood out to me. Whatever went down between Jaina and the Mandos that may have dived into Jedi beliefs washed right over me. Why could Luke not sense what Ben had done and come down on him for it? UGH, seriously without going off on a complete tangent I'll just say that Jag better live up to being a better parent than Han, Luke, Liea and Mara ever did. I have faith he will since he grew up in strict household and under military training....

I would love to see scenes of life the the Antilles home. I know Wedge and Iella were awesome parents.

22. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    Yeah, all the Fel kids seem a nice bunch. As do both Antilles girls - it's nice to see kids who are independent of their folks without having idiotic "I hate my parents" angst. I mean, I liked Ben's journey in Exile, but I much preferred Syal's in Betrayal and Fury.

23. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Face it, the only reason Ben on Zoist was so enjoyable was because Allston wrote it. Jag has Antilles blood as well, giving him unreasonable boots to fill. If only my expectations could be lived up to on his story line.

24. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    Absolutely. Allston is my favorite!

Jag had Antilles and Fel blood - and for some reason Denning thought that made him a good punching bag. I'm mostly thankful that he's ignored Syal and Myri - I can just see them becoming Joiner or being betrayed by the Jedi or something stupid like that.

Shakes head to clear anger at Dark Nest.

Okay, I'm better now.

Syal and Myri! Yay!

25. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Jag is also named after Wedge's father, adding more he has to live up to in my mind (the man who raised Wedge).
    It's sad when you are glad that your favorite characters are not included in a trilogy of books.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.