main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[TECH] Disappearing Links?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by OBIX1, Sep 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002
    Sometimes when I see someone's post that has a link in it,the link's not there.Everyone else seems to be able to see it alright,but I only see a blank space.It hasn't happend in awhile,but when DanakinSkywalker posted a link to his banner in the new banner thread,it didn't show up.Here's a screenshot to show you what I mean:

[image=http://obix1.com/Off_Site/Link_Example.jpg]

Does anyone know what might be causing this? :confused: It's pretty weird.

2. Stridarious

Stridarious Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 27, 2002
    Hmm, well whatever it was it's gone now ;) .

It may have just been a hiccup in the boards, or that the forums had not loaded all the way when you were viewing them. Eh, I cannot say for certian, as I am but a mere poster. However, perhaps if we beg enough Raven can shed some light on this situation :) .

3. OBIX1

Oct 7, 2002
    Well,actually it's still there.That's what's wierd,everyone else can see them fine.It just won't show up on my comp.I've tried refreshing several times,disabling my firewall,etc.It just doesn't want to show for some reason. :)

4. Stridarious

Nov 27, 2002
    OBIX1: "Well,actually it's still there.That's what's wierd,everyone else can see them fine.It just won't show up on my comp.I've tried refreshing several times,disabling my firewall,etc.It just doesn't want to show for some reason. :) "

What's your web-browser? :confused:

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    OBIX1 - I can see the link fine, but when I follow it I don't see a banner. I see the page with the thread listing fine, but where the banner should be is just white space with a thin brown line at the very top and down the left side. I tried turning off the ad blocking in Norton Internet Security and that just got me an ad in the white space. Maybe he is tinkering at the moment but I can't see what everyone else can. I am on AOL 9.0, Win XP with Norton configured for medium security.

6. OBIX1

Oct 7, 2002
    "What's your web-browser?"

AOL 9.0 SE. :)

"OBIX1 - I can see the link fine, but when I follow it I don't see a banner. I see the page with the thread listing fine, but where the banner should be is just white space with a thin brown line at the very top and down the left side."

Yeah,I've had that problem too.Even if I could see soemone's link,the banner won't load.

"I am on AOL 9.0, Win XP with Norton configured for medium security."

That's exactly what I have.Maybe it's something to do with Norton? :confused:

7. Stridarious

Nov 27, 2002
    Yeah, that seems to be the case. Mainly because I, and other users can see the link perfectly, as well as it's image ;) . If I may, I highly recommend that you see if their main webpages announce any information concerning your current issue. I am sure you're not the only ones having this problem.

8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Well, it has to be something to do with the home setup. I can see the banner fine from the work PC, which is Win 2000 and IE 6.0. Probably AOL freaking out...
    (And it is a nice banner..).

9. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    I'd say that it's probably something to do with your security if the link still isn't there.

10. Stridarious

Nov 27, 2002
    LAJ_FETT: "Well, it has to be something to do with the home setup. I can see the banner fine from the work PC, which is Win 2000 and IE 6.0. Probably AOL freaking out...
    (And it is a nice banner..).
    "

I had that exact same problem when I used to use AOL to view websites. And, the forums as a whole. Many times the banner or entire forum would not load all the way... :(

11. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    This is the first time I have had the problem - guess I have just been lucky. Although when I went from AOL 7.0 to 8.0 I had lots of problems following links from this forum in general - the new window would just hang. Eventually I stayed with 7.0, which seemed to work ok. Until now I have had no problems with 9.0.

12. OBIX1

Oct 7, 2002
    Yeah,it seems like this problem happens the most during banner contests.Probably just Norton and AOL getting touchy.
    Anyway,thanks for the help everyone,I appreciate it! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.