main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TFN Fanfilms convention? Meet your favorite board members!

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by SovereignKnight, Jan 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Macho

Macho Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    Bashee you live in Southern CA? Where? Just asking because I also live there...

2. Lord_Gita

Lord_Gita Former TFN FanFilms Staff star 4 VIP

Oct 5, 2000
    Driving anywhere is a lot to ask if you don't have a car...

3. *DMaul*

*DMaul* Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 1, 2000
    Ohio would be nice, if it were in the summer, the I could see everyone (All of my relatives live there, so I'm out there every summer or so)

Colorado is best, that is where my vote goes :) (We DID in fact have the first Celebration, and its centrally located too...)

4. Lar_1138

Lar_1138 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 7, 2001
    i'd go for colorado...Boulder. Boulder is nicer than Denver...its just like a small town...but with a big population(yuppie ville). and I could justify it by visiting my sister...
    It never rains in southern california.

5. ExFilms

ExFilms Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 9, 2001
    Why don't we have it in Utah the same time as Sundance. We could call it Stardance. :)

If it is not done simultaneously in different locations, then it should be held where the most TF.N or TF.N Theatre members are located. That would make it most convenient for most of the people, right?

No offense, but having it in Texas or Ohio wouldn't make it easier for East and West coast fans. It would make it equally as difficult for everyone. IMHO

(Besides, since growing up in Alaska, I have never been too impressed by little ole Texas.) ;)

6. Golden-Y

Golden-Y Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 18, 2000
    Well, I'll have to say California, too. The reason I'm posting here is because I was mentioned by the powerful JediTAC.

I would have to say that it should take place in a major and popular place. One reason is because there will be other things to do than just the convention, like theme parks, beach, mountains, deserts, EVERYTHING IS HERE!!!
    It was also good to mention having one on the east coast and one on the west coast. Or, having one where each moderator's town is.

Maybe, we can meet in small groups and have a cool BBQ on the weekend if we cannot have a convention. ;)

7. banshee

banshee Jedi Master star 1

Jul 14, 1998

Macho: I live in Santa Clarita and work in Hollywood.

And for all you Texas lovers, the only thing you've been able to offer is that it's in the middle of the country. So is Kansas. Or Oklahoma. Or South Dakota.

The reason I mentioned Cali is not just because I live here, but because of all the other activities available and we have pretty decent weather most of the year. I suppose you could argue the same thing about Florida or New York also. (Although the weather in NY is iffy.)

I'm arguing more for Celebration 3 than I am a fanfilm festival, as I don't think anyone has the time or money to actually set something like that up.

It's a nice idea though.

8. Lord_Gita

Oct 5, 2000
    I can think of no good reason to have something like this in FL and I live here.

9. Chad_Peter

Chad_Peter Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 9, 2000
    Hell, I'd go for Boulder, CO.

...considering I live here.

:)

--Chad

10. Master_Comyn

Master_Comyn Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2000
    Guys, you gotta think about the TRUE SW fans! The ones who aren't old enough to drive! The ones who have every single action figure ever produced by money-grubbing corporations. The ones save up their allowance just to blow it all on candy and After Effects!

Not that I'm one, of course.

I'm voting East Coast, baby! The cradle of American Civilization!!!

11. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    Seems to me we're not going to be able to decide on just one place to have this.

...Unless the mods stepped in and through the miracle of democracy we had a big vote - In which case I'd have to request that special efforts be taken to ensure that Lord_Gita and others in his state vote properly and a recount isn't necessary.
    (sorry! sorry! sorry! :D )

But seriously...

Maybe 2 or 3 conventions? One for each time zone, basically? (Sorry Alaskans!)

Just a thought.

12. Ptx

Ptx Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 19, 2000
    Yeah, go for a palce which has other stuff going on.

I am thinking about flying out there if something like this goes ahead...

Pete

13. Lord_Gita

Oct 5, 2000
    ...Unless the mods stepped in and through the miracle of democracy we had a big vote - In which case I'd have to request that special efforts be taken to ensure that Lord_Gita and others in his state vote properly and a recount isn't necessary. (sorry! sorry! sorry!)

Hey! That was a below the belt! :D

14. TheRealFennShysa

TheRealFennShysa TFN FanFilms Staff star 4 VIP

Oct 7, 2000
    Well, you guys in Florida do live below the *Bible* belt... :D

Seriously, tho, this thing needs to be held concurrent with a major convention like DragonCon or SDCC... that way you'll get a huge crowd of like-minded folk who'll appreciate these films, and not have it just for our benefit (besides, we've seen most of them anyway...)

Fenn

15. NickLong

NickLong Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    Pete - you like Texas because of the steers and qu..never mind.

also, Florida is do-able for us brits. there's other things to do in FL other than the con, so we can do a holiday thing.

anyway,

Nick "doubt it'll work, but it's worth a try" Long

16. Azeem

Azeem TFN Staff, Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 12, 1999
    If we did it, we would probably push for ComicCon.

1. Most of the big fan filmmakers are from S. Cali (Rubio, Anon Dir, Macomber, Monroe, crew of ROGUE, LEGACY OF THE JEDI, 65th Sense, etc.)

2. I live here :)

17. Chad_Peter

Chad_Peter Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 9, 2000
    Bah....

I wouldn't mind a comicon show "fanfilm" convention. Azeem, do you think you could hook up a podium?

--Chad

18. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    Yeah ... ComicCon 2002

It's so funny you said that, AZEEM ... because I actually just discovered this convention last week (since I have been wanting to go to something similar for some time now). ComicCon seems like a very fun experience.

It would be a great combination type of thing to have a bunch of us meet up somewhere in Southern California during the weekend of ComicCon. I know I was planning on attending anyway (since I live in Southern California). It's a great reason for people from other parts of the country to come out West as well .... since the Convention is as much about Science Fiction as it is about Comics. (I also hear that the costumes that people wear are INCREDIBLE).

19. SovereignKnight

SovereignKnight Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 17, 2001
    If the SoCal group is gonna meet at ComiCon, maybe we Midwesterners and the EastCoasters and the Southerners could arrange some kind of event on the same dates in our prospective regions. Someone mentioned this earlier. We can't leave out the Brits or anyone else either. I think ComiCon is 3 days right? Maybe we could work something out.

Then again... maybe not.

I'd fly out to Cali, but ComiCon looks about as interesting to me as watching my car rust. I think Celebration would be a better bet, since it's in Indy and smack in the middle of us all.

SK

20. Qui-Stay-Gon

Qui-Stay-Gon Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 22, 2000
    Well, here's another vote for Southern Cal. All us PA Wars dudes are down here, too. Also, as mentioned in posts above, there's a whole lot of stuff to do here, and Comicon does indeed rock.

21. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    Southern California does seem a sensible choice. There does seem to be a large amount of fanfilm makers who reside in Southern California, judging by Azeems post and Qui's.

So what's the reason then folks?

(BTW Otterbourne, Winchester, UK is a GREAT place to hold a convention. I'd even lay on a plate on Cheese and Pineapple on a stick*) :D

*A strange 'cocktail party delicacy' that was prevelant a while ago, until the vol-au-vent became the cultural equivalent

22. NickLong

NickLong Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    *shudder*

23. poorturtle

poorturtle Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 15, 2001
    well, here's yet another vote for California.

One reason is because there will be other things to do than just the convention, like theme parks, beach, mountains, deserts, EVERYTHING IS HERE!!!

yes, let's have our convention at the beach, then i can teach you all to surf. Muah Ha Ha Ha!

24. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    Plus, let's not forget that although females from the east coast are cool, and a lots of people like their outfits, and girls from the south have cute accents. Then there are the Mid-West females who make people happy, and girls from the north apparently carry hotwater bottles. But the main reason to hold the convention in California is that the girls are reported to be hotter than the weather.

...at least that's what Brian and Co always led me to believe.

25. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    Oh Daft ..... you have no idea.

If ZAYN isn't enough for ya, just remember .... Southern Califonia is the home of Heff's Playboy Mansion, Malibu Beach and Fredrick's of Hollywood. :D

The women out here are UNPARALLELLED.

Oh ... and there are a lot of FanFilmmakers out here too. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.