main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social The Artist's Lounge - Social Thread Ver. 2.0

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by HanSolo29 , Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    After cranking out several sketch cards this week, my wrist finally gave up the ghost. As I was setting up my computer, I started getting stabbing pains around the base of my thumb and my wrist hasn't felt right, since. Usually, I wear a brace to solve this problem, but I can't find the one I use for drawing, and my bowling glove doesn't provide the right amount of support and flexibility.

I guess I need to take a break from drawing... and writing, as that certainly didn't help matters today! :(

2. jtmax24

jtmax24 Jedi Youngling

Jan 14, 2013
    Hey I'm not for sure where to share this it's either "social" or "gallery" but thought it was so neat. I was in iHop today and they're doing their "Shiners Hospital for Children" donations where everyone can donate and sign names to show everyone that they donated. I saw all these names and had to take a picture... I hope someone enjoys...
    [​IMG]

3. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Hm... getting ideas for local stores...

Anywho, I drew up two more sketch cards today after drawing one yesterday, after taking a one-day break from drawing. My wrist was fine yesterday, then it gave me problems when I was shading one card, and started acting up during inking of another. I really need to find my brace. I don't want friggin' carpal tunnel to interfere with something I want to do for a living!

4. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    That is very sweet. [face_love]

5. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    So, I have good news about my wrist! Since I've been wearing a bowling glove while drawing and wearing a carpal tunnel brace while I sleep, the numbness hasn't been as big of a problem as it was. Looks like it's getting better, and all it needed was for me to wear a clunky brace while sleeping and a not-so-clunky brace while drawing. I can live with that.

6. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    I'm glad your wrist is improving! I hope it does clear up soon and you can carry on without the need of a brace. Remember to not push it too far and to allow it to rest and mend.

7. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I put the sketch cards aside for a bit to work on stuff fanfic related. Specifically, I'm experimenting with a black canvas and my acrylic slow-dry medium. So far, I'm liking the results. The slow-dry medium makes the paint a little runny, but it prevents it from drying, so it's like water, only better. The black canvas make my paints stand out better, too.

8. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    I was so busy with my three teaching positions, looking for a forth that I did not remember the fanart contest. I was to do Wedge Antilles. But even if I had remembered, I would have had no inspiration. All what I had in mind were Dutch job websites and the many students that I teach at present.

9. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I've somehow stumbled upon this clip and I just had to share it before sleep calls... (it's been calling but haven't answered yet.)

It is a clip with Peter Laird and gives a little insight into the early days of a certain group of brothers and the material that was used to bring them to life.

Lord_Dubi likes this.
  10. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Thanks for sharing! [:D]

11. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I saw Peter Laird's name and I knew instantly I had to click on that! I LOVE the Turtles! Great find!

12. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I had watched the original film a few days ago (it still holds up great!) and wondered what had happened to the promised 5th film in the series. While I was searching, I came upon that.

Regarding the 5th film... apparently it was going to be a hybrid of live action and CGI and inspired by Batman Begins. They were going to have the cast from the fourth one return for it but all of it was pulled out from under them when the rights was completely purchased off them by a different company. Now its a different entity altogether...

13. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I started on some preparatory sketches for a painting, nabbed some shading and likeness references, and then drew two sketch cards... only for my hand to keep going numb, and I'd drop my pen. Looks like it's back to sleeping with a brace on...

14. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I bought a set of gouache! One of my local art stores sells gouache by the set (eighteen small tubes for about $15), so I bought a set! I can't wait to try it out, but at the same time... I think my gouache might end up in the "Too Awesome to Use" category, with my Prismacolor pencils.

15. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I hope your wrists are feeling better TrakNar. How are you finding the gouache?

At the moment I am working on six large prints and involved in pre-production on another project. It's funny how things work out as a few months ago all I wanted to do was draw and now I am doing it non stop. It does feel great.

16. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I haven't tried the gouache yet. I want to, but it's "too awesome to use," so I'm saving it for something special, which will never come around, so I'd best just dig out a canvas and paint something.

17. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I started working on a sketch card of D'harhan today and it turned into an experiment with painting fog, smoke, and particle effects. Oh well! I'll scan misty, steamy D'harhan at a later date.

18. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I find it useful and great when pieces turn into small experiments. It can be tricky rendering the look of different forms of moisture on different surfaces. I'm curious to see how it turns out.

19. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    The poofy, fluffy steam clouds turned out pretty good. Paintbrushes are great for rendering that. The wispy tendrils of smoke? Not so much. I'm going to some day just print a couple of smoke references and practice rendering them.

20. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Your smoke exercise with D'Harhan looks really good. How did you find doing those effects?

Do you sometimes get that feeling when you work so long on something that you can't quite tell if what you are doing is working? I've been feeling like that with one of my prints, I have painted up a nebula for the background though I guess when I have finished the foreground elements and do further tweaking it will look properly.

21. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I had already done some similar particle effects with other paintings and just played around with it. Mainly, it's experimenting. At first, something I'm working on may not look right, but I keep reminding myself (and anyone who is watching) that I'm still in the beginning stages. Someone commented on how I was rendering a background in black and white and said that I "messed up" my painting. I explained that that was the beginning step. After that, though, I stopped painting in public. :p

Oh, Mary Franklin is now the proud owner of my Bossk sketch card, and my Yoda sketch card has found a new home with Stephen J. Sansweet.

22. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    That does make me feel better about this piece. :)

Something like that would put me off painting in public too :p we all approach things differently with our styles and what works for us. There is no set right and wrong with drawing and painting and you know what you are intending, not that person. The most frequent remark I get about my WIP is that they don't know how I can work with just black and white and grey.

That's pretty awesome with your sketch cards! I wonder if your Yoda will be on display at Rancho Obi-Wan. I love your Ahsoka card, pretty awesome and not to mention Mewtwo. Got me wanting to do some Super Smash Bros. related art. Hmmm... I need to update my art thread but will have to wait until my internet situation is resolved to showcase them properly on a different image hosting site.

23. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I find black, white, and gray to be easier to work with. May have something to do with being colorblind to a degree, but I find it far easier to render something entirely in black and white than I do to color it.

24. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Me too, I find the tones, the blacks, whites and greys to be easier for me to render light without the distraction of colour. Once it is set, and if it does suit the piece, then I work the colour in.

25. Emperor Von Schweetz

Emperor Von Schweetz Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 12, 2012
    My favorite type of media to work with is digital. It's so easy in clean.

I have no favorite media to view. Every type of media can be beautiful.

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.