main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala The Black Corset Piece

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Amidala_wannabe, Mar 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. widow_skywalker

widow_skywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 5, 2005
    4376 is what I used for the skirt. i used a historical pattern for the corset, though.

2. Sakara

Sakara Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 8, 2005
    yeah ive got a proper metal boned corset pattern to work with too!

3. widow_skywalker

Jul 5, 2005
    metal boned is the way to go. The plastic just doesn't last.

4. Sakara

Sakara Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 8, 2005
    yeah i hate the way plastic boning once you say bent over stays bent. Ive been wearing metal boned corsets for a few years now so i know 'how' to wear them for long periods!!lol

5. widow_skywalker

Jul 5, 2005
    Me too. The first time was an experience.

6. Neimhaille

Neimhaille Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2002
    :p You just need to use plastic properly;) It's a whalebone (baleen) substitute so needs to be used like baleen actually was;) Which was rather different to the way boning is used now. There was a lot more of it used in each corset for one thing;) Also boned bodiced were worn over heavily boned corsets and so were not used for support;) Just to keep the bodice fitted smoothly over the corset.

For this costume, a mixture would be fine (depending also on the other materials used in construction. Steels in the front and either spiral steels or plastic at the sides for good waist definition.

Anyway.

I actually came over here to post about the skirt. On ebay at the moment in the victorian women's section is a black lace overlay for a skirt or part of a dress. There are aspects to it you can see in the lace over lay of the skirt of this costume. I know you can't link to ebay auctions that aren't your own etc and I don't know if one can give the number of the auction either...
    The title includes the terms "attic fresh" victorian lace skirt.
    The lace is textured and shows randon connecting threads between the patterns. I'm not sure if the process to create the patterns is the same for the skirt, someone who has gotten a really close look at the skirt in question would be better able to answer that.
    You can also see the wide dark lines of the selvages behind the seams.

And no, the skirt is almost certainly not victorian;) It looks 1930s to me.

7. luminousbeing78

luminousbeing78 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 9, 2005
    Hello!
    I just thought I'd throw an idea into the mix about the silver headband...
    I wore my corset dress to CIII (since the first time I watched AOTC I knew I wanted it!) and when I was searching for the materials for the headband, my husband waltzes in with a new windshield wiper. I thought he had lost it...anyway, he pulled the duel metal stipping out of the wiper blade, bended it into an arc and voila! No need to attach two strips together, they're already attached at either end. I bought a pack of those large ouchless head elastics, cut it to the length I needed, then sewed the ends to the end parts of the metal. I parted my hair all the way around my head, slid the headband on , then used a couple of bobby pins to secure the elastic bands in place. Once my hair fell around it, the bands were not visible. It looked really good, but it was very uncomfortable. I wore it twice, and every evening at the hotel I had to rub the "dents" out of my forhead. Maybe I'll figure out how to make them more wearer-friendly.
    All of your dresses look so great! If I can figure out this digital camera, I'll post a couple of mine so that you can see the headband. I hope this tip helps...it was really easy to do!
    ---Ashlee;)

8. marte

marte Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    hey guys,

I have only read like half the thread (please don't hit me if I ask an old question again...). I have a bit of a problem with the corset; the patterns I used and made just don't get it 100%. its this waist cinching story that poses the trouble, is the corset enforced or what that it stays that way while squeezing in the waist? with me, it tends to wrinkle up at the bottom. I didn't do it with leather yet, though. but on the padawansguide it looks like there's something unflexible sown in from the waist on... or is it just my imagination?
    any suggestions?
    also, is boning necessary? would leather not stay in breath-taking, squeezing shape by itself?

I want to replicate this costume as closely as possible.

regards,
    - marte

9. ewok78

ewok78 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 20, 2005
    I ahve made this costume, but it xas an europeen pattern, see pictures of the FIDM exhibit the costume is there !

10. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    Marte, from what we've heard so far from Biba Fett, the corset is actually two layers. A black corset underneath, and then the leather overlayer. This may help you keep the shape of yours. I know I plan to remake mine so it lays better.

11. luminousbeing78

Oct 9, 2005
    Benae_Quee--I love your website--you have done such wonderful work!!
    Marte, there is always the option of purchasing a leather corset of a website somewhere. I really had to dig to find one that I liked (believe me, there are some wicked freaky corsets out there lol!). It was worth the extra bucks for me (even though I am a total penny-pincher), 'cause I'm hopeless when it comes to sewing something like a tight-fitting corset. Just a suggestion...I hope everything works out.
    ---Ashlee:)

12. marte

marte Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    Benae, great page! thanks for your help, guys! When I'm done (if ever... university is just a pain sometimes), I'll try to post some pics how it turned out.
    thanks again!
    -marte

13. Padme18

Padme18 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 10, 2005
    I was thinking of making this costume as well. Can anyone reconmend fabric ideas? Black lace would be good for the skirt and maybe white costume satin. Do they make black Lame? I seen to rember seeing it somewher. I have a pair of black guantlets that just need to be altered. All I need is fabric, a pattern, and the time off from college.

14. marte

marte Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    if anyone is interested, I found a "model" for the underneath corset. its shown in a scene of "Mansfield Park" (the scene after the rain), and I think it can be sown relatively easily. plus, it would go under many of padmes other wardrobe as well, ie the naboo lake one.

just a thought.

15. luminousbeing78

Oct 9, 2005
    Padme18,
    For my corst dress I used a layer of off-white satin (kind of a buttercream color)and an over-layer of this black tulle that has a black velveteen print burned into it. I really don't know what it's called, but I found it in the special occasions fabric section. They had other print patterns, but they were too floral. The print I picked up has a striped look. I think I'm going to re-vamp it, though...the train isn't long enough. Oh, well-that's the kind of fabric I went with. The final effect looks pretty good!
    ----Ash:)

16. Padme18

Padme18 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 10, 2005
    Thanks luninousbeing. I have a blach corset bra to wear under my formal wear and my mom suggested just covering that to make the corset. It should work. I just need to convince her to make it for SW weekends next year.

17. Im_but_a_padawan

Im_but_a_padawan Jedi Youngling

Jun 23, 2005
    just thought I'd post my pic of the first draft of this costume.
    I made it for halloween, at the last minute...because a piece for my original padme idea hadn't come in, in time.
    I made it in about 6-8 hours total, over 2 days...so not bad eh?
    it needs some work, and I plan to make a proper corset for the next one....we'll see.
    what do you think?
    [image=http://usera.imagecave.com/bridget/002_2.JPG]
    and then here's a pic of my costume with a leia cermonial gown I made...took a little longer than mine of course...and it's not the best picture...the belt is falling off a little here...it was before I reinforced it.
    [image=http://usera.imagecave.com/bridget/006_6.JPG]
    p.s. - these are the first costumes I've ever made by myself.
    -bridget

18. Robin_the_squeeker

Robin_the_squeeker Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 6, 2003
    first time costumes, eh? They're pretty spiffy!

what fabric did you use for the corset? if you don't mind me asking. It looks quite "leather-ish"

19. luminousbeing78

Oct 9, 2005
    Your costumes look great, Bridget! I love the material you used for the corset!

20. Im_but_a_padawan

Im_but_a_padawan Jedi Youngling

Jun 23, 2005
    thanks to you both.
    I'm quite proud of them, and I'm gonna get started on a whole new set sometime soon.

for the corset I used pleather.
    they had it in those big rolls...and I got it for cheap....regularly it was like $10 a yard or something ridiculous, and it was on sale for I think $4, so I bought a few yards for someone else's han solo costume I made (the belt. yes I know han's belt is brown, but black was cheaper, and he didn't care), and when I learned that the costume I had ordered for myself wasn't going to be in in time, I used the excess from the han costume, and made myself the gauntlets (which were easier than I thought)and the corset.

we'll see what comes of these.
    but thanks for the kind words ladies.

21. Sotis

Sotis Jedi Master star 1

Aug 21, 2005
    Hello everyone!
    I've decided to make this costume after I'd finish my previous one. Oh.. I've never ever have an experience in making a corset. May be if I don't want to do a "real" shape giving corset, I can make it without boning? Or the pleather will gather without it?
    And one more question about gloves. Will the pleather stretch enough to put the gloves on?

22. Benae_Quee

Nov 15, 2002
    I made mine with pleather and the guantlets fit fine, though I like keep them on my arms with a little costume tape. For the corset, poly boning is easy to work with, cheap, and easy to find. If you get the right pattern, a corset can be really easy to make :) The vogue pattern works great and is easy enough to follow.

23. Sotis

Sotis Jedi Master star 1

Aug 21, 2005
    Thanks, Benae_Quee! Shame on me, but I don't understand the expression poly boning. English isn't my native language and I have some problems with sewing terms. And dictionary can't help me with "poly boning" Can you explain it to me?

24. Benae_Quee

Nov 15, 2002
    That's okay :)

Poly boning is a type of boning material made from plastic, it works well for a corset that you want to be comfortable and maybe not necessarily shape forming. When I got mine, it came with channeling to sew into the garment. I would recommend boning the corset so that it has a nice smooth appearance. If you don't add the bones, it could tend to wrinkle. Any corset pattern will have great instructions for adding boning. Your finished product will look wonderful I'm sure :)

I hope she doesn't mind, but Jayne has a great website with lots of information on corsetry :)
    http://www.costumebeginner.com/

25. Sotis

Sotis Jedi Master star 1

Aug 21, 2005
    Thank you very much! It all seems to be so complicated...I hope I'll handle it. Thank you very much again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.