main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padme Amidala The Black Corset Piece

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Amidala_wannabe, Mar 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HRH-Dior-Daala

HRH-Dior-Daala Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 29, 2001
    what do all of you with these gowns after they are woren to the CII and the premiere?
    i love reading the posts and seeing the pictures
    where do you all wear these homemade costumes to during the rest of the year?

dior- i can't sew worth a c*ap

2. Angry_Princess

Angry_Princess Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2002
    I found my headpiece at The Icing too. It worked great. All I had to do was bend it a little to shape it to my head.

I am finally finished with this piece after a a lot of work. I'll post a link to my pics as soon as I get them up.

3. Master_Kyle

Master_Kyle Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2002
    A little off topic but i just had to sat that this dress and the pastel one she wears are the sexiest outfits ever.

4. FaLLeN-AnGeL

FaLLeN-AnGeL Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    HRH-Dior-Daala, I don't know about everyone else but I'm not intending on making this outfit as a costume. It is pretty similar to what I wear anyway, so I'm adapting it slightly to make it suit me, and I plan to wear it as one of my regular outfits...

5. FERDALUMP

FERDALUMP Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    I just posted pics of my reproduction of this dress on my website. If you have the time take a look.

Ferdalump Frumps

This costume is brand new, only worn by model and is for sale, please email for information. Thanks!

6. FERDALUMP

May 12, 2002
    Page 2 ? Up Ya'll
    What you don't love this dress anymore :)

7. Angry_Princess

May 26, 2002
    I have placed a link to the very first digital photos of my costume. I plan to take some better pictures and build a better site, but I was just to excited to wait.

http://empressepergne/swcostume.html

8. Angry_Princess

May 26, 2002
    Uh oh. the link is actually:

http://www.geocities.com/empressepergne/swcostume.html

9. FERDALUMP

May 12, 2002
    Nice pics Angry_Princess
    You did a great job!!

10. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Angry_Princess and Ferdalump, those both look beautiful! Good jobs! :D

11. Angry_Princess

May 26, 2002
    Ferdalump and Obi Wan -- THANKS!!!

Ferdalump - I like your's too!! What kind of material did you use for the skirt? I haven't found a print that I like yet so I just used black panne velvet, since i already had it on hand. I drapes too much, but I kinda like the look.

12. Angry_Princess

May 26, 2002
    Obi-Dawn - Sorry bout the name thing. My bad. :(

ABOUT MY NECKPIECE - for anyone who is looking for a way to rienforce it, I used a black foamie (a square piece of foam I bought at Wal-Mart) and cut two pieces from it about 12" x 2" and sewed them together. I then covered it with the fabric I was using. That made it stand up instead of drooping when the other material was attached. I close it on the back with a couple of snaps I sewed on.
    Here's some pics so u can see the result.

13. FERDALUMP

May 12, 2002
    Angry Princess- I used a print stretch velvet--it's kinda a snake skin, NOT PERFECT but had a allover print iwith the blacks and grays--next to the paper dolls especially it liooks pretty close-and still affordable! :)

Thanks for looking!

14. HRH-Dior-Daala

HRH-Dior-Daala Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 29, 2001
    lump, fallen, angry
    all your costumes are great

is helsinger still involved with the o-town shakespeare group?

dior

15. FERDALUMP

May 12, 2002
    Not sure Helsinger rings a bell--I worked freelance under the desiner Jack Smith on most recently Taming of the Shrew

Thanks for the kind words :)

Ferd

16. JediBeldarine

JediBeldarine Jedi Master

May 29, 2002
    Wow.. I just have to say, everyone looks like they've done an amazing job on this outfit.. :).

Like I said in my Shaak Ti post.. I'm new to this, but I have always been a good craftswoman.. and I'm looking for a new hobby to do in my spare time.

What do you all think of Simplicity Pattern 9180 (mentioned before) and McCall's pattern 3031. Someone mentioned earlier that the skirt looks like a straight dress with a train.. and after searching, the McCall's pattern seems to be the truest to that design.

Now for my second question.. Since I'd be doing the skirt in two layers -- the first a creamish/beige material, and the second black lace -- do I have to make the lace portion slightly bigger for it to hang right? Or will it hang just fine being cut the same as the beige underskirt?

This place has been a huge help so far.. I feel the Star Wars bug growing again.. :) Thanks

17. StormtrooperPrincess

StormtrooperPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2002
    Option for the silver headpiece:

http://www.lacis.com/catalog/catalog.html. Under Millinery, there is a plain headband for $6 that is the right shape; it just needs to be painted the right color, and possibly flattened slightly.

18. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    Good find SP!! If you click on the "order" button for that headband, it DOES come in silver!! WOOHOO!! Hey, I think I'm gonna order it... This costume is on my "to do" list anyway, I might as well start collecting pieces as I find them. :)

kreleia ^.^

19. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Yes, StormtrooperPrincess, that is a great find! And Lacis is a wonderful place! I used to work at an office within walking distance to it. Yummy yummy place... :)

20. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    Printed out the instructions for my custom corset (as so generously linked by someone else in another thread), so that I can start "experimenting" with this dress. I've never worked with boning or even corsets before, so I'll be employing the bounty of extra muslin I found for dirt cheap at Wal-mart, and plastic boning.

I have one question for those who are "in the know" of such things:
    What style of corset is this!? (the movie corset, that is)
    I've looked at just about every corset picture and pattern that I can see, and this looks like a modern day take on two main versions - Elizabethan and the 19th century waist-cincher (I forget the name). Clearly, the lines are more Elizabethan, but the front waist doesn't do that dramatic "drop" bit that was so fasionable in the "Elizabeth" movie. The corset also emphasizes Natalie's already tiny waist.

Any tips on a pattern that would be similar, or customizing/modifying the one I linked to above?

kreleia ^.^

21. FERDALUMP

May 12, 2002
    Not sure what time period I would put this piece in--but here's my take on it. It is definately a waist cincher (The making of video she speaks of it being very difficult to breath) and it is very very obviously cinching her waist down and bosom up and cutting the top of the garment quite low. A typical corset style shirt pattern can get you close to the look, but it will be lacking in the close fit. The civil war corset patterns that simplicity has out is a very good pattern for a waist cinching corset. However you will need to use a corset strength boning, not the plastic nylobone Joann's carries, but real steel or wood ones. Then the busk closure in the front would have to be modified and you will probably need to make a sloper out of muslin before you cut into your leather. Amazon Drygoods out of CA. has professional quality costuming supplies, and many old world sewing supplies such as corset supplies and patterns. The lines of the garment are simple to follow, and I think minimal alterations would need to made. Be warned, I speak as an experienced costumer--A true waist cinching corset is a very advanced and time consuming project, the proper materials are costly, and there is a lot of handwork. But stick with it, it would be a very rewarding project and would look great!
    GOOD LUCK :) Hope that helps you out.

22. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    It does, actually. :) Thanks Ferdalump. If I may ask, how did you do yours? It doesn't look quite that complicated (as was described), but I know looks can be deceiving. I was also thinking that since you're doing this for people to order, you've come up with something simpler that works for you (yeah, I know - experience is everything).

Thanks!
    kreleia ^.^

23. padme_skywa1ker

padme_skywa1ker Jedi Youngling

Jun 10, 2002
    http://www.senatorofnaboo.now.nu/ go here to see the dress http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2109582950#DESC go there to buy it

24. FERDALUMP

May 12, 2002
    Kreleia,
    Glad I could help you. For the version of this dress I have pics of I used a drafted pattern similar to the one I used for the picnic/flowered dress. I shortened the waistline, subtracted the straps, and made the seamlines more like this dress. I did not make it a "true corset" for two reasons-COMFORT (this is a costume and I figured most ladies don't know how uncomfortable a real corset is) and COST (I try to make things as affordable as possible) If I have a reason to make a real corset version of this costume I would love to, I've made other authentic corsets before and they are great, and look so neat :) My version is made of pleather, fully boned (plastic boning) lined with peau de soie and heavily interfaced. It has nice body and fits tightly, but is breathable :)

25. QueenLaniAmidala

QueenLaniAmidala Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 9, 2002
    K guys, heres some pictures of the black corset dress. Hope they help!
    [image=http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/jedi16/images/Amidala_Dress_1.jpg]

[image=http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/jedi16/images/Anakin_Amidala_2.jpg]

if those pictures don't show up, just check my website here: http://angelfire.com/theforce/jedi16, and i've got links to them up there. hope those help!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.