main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Boxing Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthSubZero, May 15, 2007.

1. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    RIP Smokin' Joe

2. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
  3. DarthSubZero

DarthSubZero Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 10, 2006

4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    A true great.

5. DRHJ9

DRHJ9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2003
    One of the best!

Shame that this will be overshadowed by the Penn st. Fiasco!

6. DarthSubZero

Nov 10, 2006
    Shows how Frazier still dosen't get the respect he deserves.

7. DarthSubZero

Nov 10, 2006
    I wonder what they're going to do for Frazier tonight in Pacquiao/Marquez. The usual 10 ring salute?

(Bumping this Cause I refuse to let Joe Pa's pedophile ass overtake this.)

8. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    Wow, Marquez got robbed.

9. DarthSubZero

Nov 10, 2006
    SMH. Marquez clearly won , Pacman looked outclassed.
    Silver lining, Mayweather must be ******* ecstatic.

10. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    I disagree.

Pacquiao by one round (The 12th that JMM didn't fight) a draw at worst.

Marquez never engaged, landing a couple of clean punches a round does not make you a winner.

Most people's reactions are from the fact that MP didn't destroy JMM.

I have watched the fight a couple of times now, and can't find more that 5 rounds for Marquez, with 6 for Pacquiao, and scored the first round even.

Go to Boxingtalk for some great analysis, from people who understand boxing. Most outrage is coming from casual fans. Most experts believed the fight was a draw, or one round either way.

11. DarthSubZero

Nov 10, 2006
    I do admit that I was mostly dissapointed in Pacquiao, and it was a close fight.

but it seemed to me that when Pacquiao would land he was usually being countered at the same time, but when Marquez landed his hard shots they were usually left unanswered by Pacman more often than not or otherwise answered with much less effective grazing shots and misses .

If Nacho hadn't decided to tell Marquez, you're winning, I think Marquez wouldve stayed active in rounds 11 and 12, and won the fight for sure.

Does this fight change your P4p rankings in any way?

12. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    I've been sending "Marquez won" email messages to my colleagues in the Philippines to wind them up.

I think it's safe to say that Mayweather > Pacman at the moment. But they still need to fight to sort this out.

And DRHJ9, I used to like boxingtalk.com, but it's descended into farce and I haven't visited in years. G. Leon should stick to being a webmaster. When Bob Arum says that Leon doesn't "know what the **** he's doing" and then goes so far as to call him a "moron", then he should sit up and take notice.

13. DarthSubZero

Nov 10, 2006
    Allright so I watched the fight again and I scored it 6-6. A Tie. There were some things Pacman did that I missed.
    (Also, there was Chavez JR-Manfredo, but no one cares about that :p ) Trowbridge is still an idiot though.

14. DarthSubZero

Nov 10, 2006
    As for websites, I usually just go to BoxRec or Boxing Scene

And for the simulations, I just realized I have to simulate it more than once for it to get an accurate prediction :p , Im doing Bowe vs Lewis now.

15. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    As for P4P,

Mayweather would have stayed number One all this time, if he had been active ...

I think Floyd and Manny are 1 and 1a depending on who people think has looked better.

I will always side with a fighter who takes more risk...

We can make a who's who list of fighter Mayweather has ducked: Undefeated Cotto and Paul Williams, Stevie Johnson, Margarito (Cheater, hope he gets destroyed), Vernon Forrest (RIP), undefeated and Prime Moseley, Martinez, etc..

Cant really say that for Pacquiao, no matter what people think the outcome of fights should be, Pacquiao has a way better resume: Morales, Marquez, Barrera, Sanchez (RIP), Diaz, Margarito, Cotto, Clottey, Lazcano, ....

Mayweather gets too much credit for fighting an overrated Corrales (One of my favorite fighters, RIP) .

That being said, I can't doubt his skill as a fighter. I think he is probably the best, but we will never know until he fights the best fighters....IN THEIR PRIME.

16. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    SPIKE:

I mostly go to boxingtalk for the interviews...seems like a lot of fighters post blogs, and make comments there, more than most sites.

I don't have a problem with Leon, or Bread...they give their opinion one way or the other, like most people. I don't think ARUM has a lot of credibility anymore....saying he wants another Marquez fight before Floyd?

I used to follow Maxboxing, talking about turning into a farce....I think they have become an add site...

17. DarthSubZero

Nov 10, 2006
    2 days ago was the 25 th anniversary of my favorite boxer Mike Tyson winning the WBC Title from Trevor Berbick.

I miss the heavyweights.

Also, i finished the sim and Bowe Beat Lewis around 90% of the time (this was when Lewis was under Pepe Corea and Not Emanuel Steward)

18. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    Biggest letdown for me, was that we were robbed of the biggest fight of hat era:

Undefeated and prime Holyfield vs Undefeated and prime Tyson.

Evander was my favorite heavyweight fighter.

19. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    They've all descended into farce. I follow Boxing Scene, but their forums are full of morons.

20. DarthSubZero

Nov 10, 2006
    Yeah, most of the forums consist of either Pacquiao and Mayweather fans in pissing contests, or Current Fans vs Old School Fans.

As for Prime Tyson vs Prime HW Holyfield, Tyson simply overwhelmed Holyfield. He tried to fight inside with Tyson, but it turned out to be a bad night for him, worse than Bowe. The bout was eventually stopped in the 6th round by Millis Lane.

21. DRHJ9

May 19, 2003
    Ward wins Super six Tourney...

I would love to see him fight Bute, or Pascal.

22. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Hello, thread.

Maidana lined up as next opponent for Mayweather - not a great matchup, as Floyd will just have to stay out of haymaker range - but certainly should be better than his last few fights. May 3rd on Showtime PPV - it'll be a very hyped fight.

23. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Maidana had a great fight with Khan back in the day, and in all fairness to him, plowed through Broner like he was nothing. Don't see him doing the same to Floyd though.

I see it as another Mayweather - Hatton stylistically.

24. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I agree. Maidana has heavy hands but lacks the technical skills to challenge Floyd. I'm just glad they resisted any kind of temptation to match Floyd up with Khan. That would have been a massacre.

25. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Khan has been unimpressive since he jumped ship to Hunter. I honestly believe that his best days were when he was trained by Roach, but the latter's priority was always Pacquaio.

For the Garcia fight especially, I think Khan missed out on a lot of quality coaching which is why he went in chin first and got sparked out. Not sure whether to believe that he felt weight drained, but he took some nasty shots from maidana at 140 so maybe there is an element of truth to it.