main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Captain Rex thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by ArrogantJedi, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Orvakki

Orvakki Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 9, 2010
    I think that because he's loyal to Anakin he will stick to him and will turn to the Empire. And don't the clones that disobey orders during Order 66 realize that if they are found out they will be slaughtered?

2. LukeTano

LukeTano Jedi Master star 3

Jul 10, 2009

3. Koonster

Koonster Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 5, 2009
    ^Order 65^

4. Orvakki

Orvakki Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 9, 2010
    In my opinion, Order 66 was a lazy (and stupid) way to get rid of the Jedi & turn the clones into stormies.

5. LukeTano

Jul 10, 2009
    I agree. Great way for Rex to refuse and Ahsoka to get away and make the clones seem less like programmed droids.

6. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    I think that Lucas probably should have spent a little more time showing that the Jedi really were a threat to the Republic before the clones would execute Order 66.

The way it's presented in ROTS really does seem as if a button is pressed.

7. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    In AotC, Lama Su states: "They (the clones) are totally obedient. Taking every order without question."

We also see the clones working busily at computer screens. Part of their training would obviously be rote memorization of their orders. This doesn't mean that a clone can't disobey an order or the compulsion of orders as we saw in The Deserter...which opens the possiblity of Rex disobeying Order 66 and choosing to assist Ahsoka in her escape from the Purge.

8. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    I'm just saying it was a little robotic the way Lucas presented it.

9. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    I'll admit that the clones having personalities and being able to make choices is good for the show itself, but it seriously contradicts what we've seen in AOTC and ROTS. If a clone can decide to leave the GAR, get married, and start a farm, why wouldn't Cody, who is a good friend to Obi-Wan, save his life?

10. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    Yeah, you hit it right on the head. It's great for the show that the clones have different personalities. But with Cut and Slick, and even Rex, Waxer and Boil, they've established a precedent of natural insubordination that really makes Order 66 a tough pill to swallow.

11. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    Maybe in the future Lucas could expand on Palpatine's transmission and include an edited video of the Jedi "overthrowing" the Senate, giving the clones more of a reason to kill them.

12. SpecialOpsUnit

SpecialOpsUnit Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2007
    I agree. Something like this needs to happen, doesn't necessarily have to be that but something has to be done. With that we've seen with the clones and Jedi, I wouldn't expect them at all to turn on them without explanation or reason after fighting side by side for 3 years.

13. LukeTano

Jul 10, 2009
    Perhaps they're going to be the "different side" to Order 66 that we've been hearing about, the clones who said "No!".

14. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    Yes, that would work, if only everybody else didn't treat this kind of clone insubordination as a normal occurance. If Cut, Slick, Rex, Waxer and Boil were shown to be "special cases", "genetically flawed", then everything would fit. However nobody was really baffled by the fact that Slick was able to betray them. They were disgusted by his conduct, sure, but nobody wondered how the heck this clone was able to break his conditioning and act the way he did. That, I think, is the main problem. Anakin and Obi-Wan should have been utterly puzzled by the fact that one of their "completely loyal" clones turned on them.

15. LukeTano

Jul 10, 2009
    What about that other clone, the one that Ventress killed later after rescuing Gunray?

Actually, Slick makes the case ever stronger for clone insubordination in Order 66 as he claims the Republic is "taking advantage of clones".

16. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    Are you talking about Argyus? He wasn't a clone.

Yes he does, but he also makes the fact that most clones did follow Order 66 blindly a very strange occurance.

17. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I honestly haven't seen how its great for the show from the start. It's great for marketing no doubt, toy sales and what not. But great for the show? No, its confusing for the show.

The rest of the EU has touched on this subject a lot, but often times they made it work a little better by introducing influences into the Clone's lives that expalin why this or that clone would disobey the order.

TCW could still do that, but it seems more like it will be content with a magic switch and blind loyalty than trying to explain the situation better - when canonically the magic switch has been very much called into question time and time again.

18. SpecialOpsUnit

Sep 1, 2007
    It's great for the show as it shows that these clones aren't just human droids but each are different and have their own personality. It allows the audience to grow attached to a Captain Rex or a Commander Cody sort of thing. Rookies was great at showing that even the small time grunts(at the time Hevy, Echo, Fives etc) all had different personalities as well. It also helps push the relationship the Jedi and the clones(especially the Commanders or Captains, their 2nd in command) have. I've said this plenty of times before, I don't see Commander Cody firing on Obi-Wan with barely even a reaction after watching this show.

Does in contradict the movies a bit? Yes but I feel like it won't for long. Either they'll do a cut in the movies when the blu-rays are released or something will happen in TCW that have the clones doubting their Jedi Generals.

Someway this needs to be explained later on. For now though I really don't care, we aren't even in the 2nd year as far as I know, if we are it's early.

19. Gwilty

Gwilty Jedi Youngling

Sep 8, 2010
    I really don't want Rex to die

20. ArrogantJedi

ArrogantJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 11, 2008
    Alot of people will question whether Rex will comply with Order 66, you'd think given that Cody did, he would too, but some believe Rex may be a little different and perhaps go against rules, much like Anakin did - and Rex was shown as having a pretty strong mind when he hinted to Anakin that Ventress had him under mind control by calling him "Anakin" over the comm, which he never does - and unknown to Ventress that he was tipping him off.

I honestly don't believe Rex will be around for Order 66, he will go out before then - and probably it will leave people to ponder over whether he would've gone against it had he been around.

21. rumblewagon

Sep 24, 2004
    Captain Rex won't be dying as he is going to disobey Order 66 and instead help Ahsoka go into hiding. They will both be branded outlaws and have to work together to stay one step ahead of the Empire's sinister agents that will be sent out to hunt them down.

22. Gwilty

Gwilty Jedi Youngling

Sep 8, 2010
    How will they show that? Considering TCW is before ROTS

23. SpecialOpsUnit

Sep 1, 2007
    I'm sorry but that is an awful idea and I hope that doesn't happen.

24. rumblewagon

Sep 24, 2004
    TCW (The Clone Wars) begins at the end of AotC and ends at end of RotS when Darth Vader dispatches the Trade Federation leaders. Thus, TCW is actually part of RotS and given that TCW jumps around in the timeline, it would not be inconceivable to have episodes that occur parallel to the events of RotS; i.e. episodes showing battles of planets such as Felucia, Saleucami, etc. And no, SpecialOpsUnit, it is not an awful idea. It is a perfect idea.

25. SpecialOpsUnit

Sep 1, 2007
    :oops: lol, not perfect at all. Far from it at least.