main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "The Children of Hurin" to be published

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Havac , Sep 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Sith_Lord_Linkoping Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 19, 2001
    I don't know if this aldready has been answered earlier in this thread but The Tolkien Estate has pretty much killed this idea already on their home page. At least for the time beeing.

Are there any plans to produce a feature film from The Children of Húrin?

There are no plans of this nature in the foreseeable future.

Source

For me The Children of Hurin is a superb book that I easily count as the best book after The Lord Of The Rings.

2. leia_naberrie

leia_naberrie Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2002
    I think there might still be a chance. No plans simply means 'no plans', not 'no way we will permit a film to be made.'

3. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I didn't realize the women of Middle Earth all had serious eating disorders.:p

Also, to save a bit on production costs, someone contact PJ quick and ask for the ring Aragorn had in LOTR -- it's the ring of Barahir, which Hurin would be wearing at the time of the book.

4. leia_naberrie

leia_naberrie Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2002
    I chose those two because they are both slender and tall, elvish looking and they look similar. We are given the impression that Turin was attracted to the elf-girl because she reminded him of his late sister.

5. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    I saw a copy of this in a bookshop the other day (in German - but then I was in Germany, so that makes sense :p but Tolkien must be the devil to translate) and remembered about it all of a sudden.

I've been rereading the Silmarillion almost constantly just lately, and been struck all over again by how completely Tolkien achieved his aim of creating an entire mythology to lie behind LOTR. It's a masterwork.

Therefore I'd be exceedingly grateful if another devoted Silmarillion-fan were able to give a yea or nay :) How does it stand up against the shortened version in that book? Against the Narn?

Both are extraordinary versions of the story in their different ways, and a proper prose narrative could be just as good . . . but it could be teh awful, as well . . .

Aw hell. Never mind the paperback; I'll wait till I can get it second-hand :p

6. Yodas-evil-twin2

Yodas-evil-twin2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 15, 2005
    As a major fan of the Silmarillion, I found The Children of Hurin to be a great piece of work that really adds detail to the shortened version in the Silmarillion. And the illustrations are great to boot.

7. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I'd second what YET2 said. To be honest, the Turin chapter is one of my least favorite in the Silmarillion. I loved CoH, though -- given the chance to shine on its own, the story really dazzles.

8. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Will it ever appear as a paperback?

9. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    A lot of the passages in COH were lifted directly from the Silmarillion. Then some sequences were expanded, especially the outlaw bit in the beginning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.