main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena 2023-24 NCAA Football Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthPoppy, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Well..... dang it.

2. Darthkat76

Darthkat76 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Woooooooot! GO IRISH!!!

yankee8255 likes this.
  3. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    No, this is not about the Irish. Not at all. Notre Dame was already in the championship game after Kansas State lost. The madness you're cheering is that the SEC is getting into the championship game now.

4. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    And unless something happens to keep Alabama out of the title game, the SEC will win their seventh (I believe) National Title in a row.

5. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    My God, I just realized that the Georgia Bulldogs could now theoretically play in the National Championship game. [face_hypnotized]

6. Grand Admiral Strife

Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 21, 2001
    Just think.... Auburn beats Bama, and the Aggies win, A&M goes to the title game against Georgia. Aggies beat them, they could very well be in the National Championship game. :p

Oh, and thanks to Baylor, Texas can now theoretically win the conference by winning out and having OU lose out. UT and K St would both be 7-2 with UT having the tiebreaker while OU sits at 6-3. Crazy.

7. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
  8. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Nice to see the old "defense wins" championships" adage proved right by Stanford.

Now just bring it home against USC next week! I'll take my chances with 'bama, great defense but so is ours. Assuming they win the SEC title.

Whatever else, it's very nice knowing we'll be #1 in tomorrow's polls.

Darthkat76 likes this.
  9. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    Oooh, right when everyone thought they had knocked off the SEC this year. Ouch :p

10. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Coach Dooley dismissed immediately. Yesterday was awful, but he should've been allowed to finish the season with just UK left.

11. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    ND get 56 of 59 first place votes in coaches poll, 2 for Bama, 1 for Ga. Surprised more SEC coaches didn't vote for their own.

12. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I might actually have to root for Notre Dame the rest of the season. Anyone but the SEC, please.

Lowbacca_1977 likes this.
  13. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Dear God,

Please don't let ND lose anymore this season. I cannot fathom another all-SEC title game.

14. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Not even the worst interception ever thrown was enough to help K State yesterday.

Can't imagine that will happen. If ND loses to USC and Oregon win out, I think they'd get their shot.

I should mention that I've become incredibly pessimistic about the USC game. I was at the ND-Miami game in 1989 (3rd and freaking 44 for the love of God!), BC in 1993 was almost as painful, even if I was on my parents couch (had been out on campus for the FSU game the week before). On the other hand, I was in the LA Coliseum in 1988 when Frank Stam and Co smacked Rodney Peete silly. Let's focus on the good times, shall we?!!!

I should mention that my two best friends from ND live in Southern California (Sand Diego) and Miami. Stupid ocean between us!

15. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    Eh, I find it good policy to be worried about USC (I was very, very hesitant yesterday about optimism) so that's reasonable, but hopefully Notre Dame doesn't face an energized USC trying to recover from the loss to UCLA.

16. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I'm all on board for hating on the SEC but I just can't root for Notre Dame. Sorry guys they are my most hated team I just can't do it. :p

17. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Take it from this South Carolina Gamecock fan, but I can assure you, Georgia is not the third best team in the country!

DarkEagle likes this.
  18. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I wonder if ND stumbles if the crowd who argued against LSU because they didn't even win their division would suddenly be in favor of Oregon, even if Stanford goes to the Pac-12 Title game?

19. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    Honestly, I'm still trying to figure out Florida after having seen them play at Vanderbilt back in October. Granted, one performance, but I don't see how that's a top 5 team.

20. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Hey, Florida beat Louisiana-Lafayette on a last-second blown play. AND they let Jacksonville State hang around for almost three full quarters. If that's not the #4 team in the country, I don't know who is.

S-E-C! S-E-C! S-E-C!

DarkEagle likes this.
  21. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    They also beat A&M on Johnny Football's first college game....

22. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    As a fan of the Big 10, I don't really feel that I'm in any position to make fun of any other conference at the moment. :p

23. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    A few interesting things in the rankings:

1. FSU only 10th in the BCS, though 6th and 5th in the human polls. Two 2-loss teams (A&M and Stanford) ahead of them.

2. In Jeff Sagarin's "other" computer ranking, "Pure Points", which only takes margin of victory into account and ignores won-loss, Alabama are #1, ND only #4. Sagarin claims that ranking is superior, I disagree -- the ability to win games, including close ones, matters. Just ask Oregon.

3. I don't get all this "chaos" talk. A week ago you had three unbeaten teams, one of whom was going to be shut out of the title game no matter how well it played its last two games. Picking among the three was little more than a crap-shoot, albeit a rather biased one. This week you have a clear #1, and matchups for the other teams, especially the conference championships, that should give a clear indication of who #2 is.

24. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    BTW, a picture to go with my sig
    [​IMG]

And one taken by the daughter (now a sophomore herself) of a good friend
    [​IMG]

25. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    In all honesty, if Ohio State weren't on probation, they would be a clear #1 at this point.