main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Comic Book Draft Episode III: Revenge of the Villains -- Congrats to Shadow_of_Durron!

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by DarthIntegral, Feb 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    So two Preps and two Locale picks? What if a match has two people fighting that picked two different locales? Did you say PLs can pick the locale? Will a prepped opponent know of the locale that their opponent picked, and be able to take that into account?

The list:

Add MR. Majestic, Elixir.

2. Darthsuperbatpooh

Darthsuperbatpooh Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 29, 2002
    1. you did a great job DI...i would like to see you back...and Shadow did a good job too
    2. i think jean grey and phoenix should be combined as one person....i had such a hard time trying to get info on just her that didn't include the phoenix in some way
    3. location is a hard one for the average fan that doesn't know a lot about their or opposing players characters...but that's just my thoughts on it
    4. i like our home
    5. i think 18 would be fine or 16...maybe we could go longer (reg season) like play everyone once and the peeps in our conf. twice...that would make it 2/3 longer...so who knows...as far as the playoffs i think 4 from each conf would be nice...might see an upset in the first round of the playoffs

3. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I don't think adding a location will do much...what if two people with different locations hit the same number? Or you get someone in space vs an air-breather? I'm struggling to think of when it would really be a useful tactic.

I don't know if Lobo should be on the power list since everyone seems to think he sucks :p Possibly the entirety of Shadow's team should move up :p

4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    You know ... in my long post, I did cover what happened if the two characters drew each other with different locations specified. :p

But, the flow seems to be that we don't want it ... I'm cool with ... whatever, really. I could live with or without it.

5. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    I don't really like it.

Also, what are we doing about Mimic? Keeping him the same? Someone said the Power List? Or just making him Exiles?

6. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    1) No issues, you did a great job.
    2) The only change I would make, would be to take change Mimic from the 616 (no limits absorbs everyhing!) to the Exiles version, he has realistic limits yet is still really powerful. As far as moving any more characters to the PL, I am against it for the reason that we still need to pay attention to keeping a good amount of prepable characters on the regular list.
    3) I like the idea myself, but for the 2-3 guys it will benefit (and even then the benefit is minimal) I don't see it being worth the hassle.
    4) I like the Census forum, lets stay. :cool:
    5) I like the 16 GM draft, and IMO there is nothing wrong with doing only a top 4. They system vetted out the true top 4 teams, at least IMO it did. I say change nothing in regards to # of teams or play off rounds.

EDIT: On second thought, there is one character that could possibly go on the power list. Hourman. With that scan I showed he could probably beat many of the PL characters, if he can slow a characters relative time that is fairly potent (one would think that any healing factors would also be slowed).

So I will put him into consideration for the Power List.

7. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    ok, not gonna touch the location idea. I agree that it doesn't benefit enough people to really be useful.

As far as moving up the list onto the Power List, Captain Atom is definately moving up.

Also, What are thoughts on having all four Hulk Incarnations able to go in the draft, not just one? What I mean is, if someone drafts The Incredible Hulk (Professor), then someone else can still draft Savage, Banner, and Grey. This helps one problem that was brought up last draft, that there weren't enough heroes on the draft list. It can also make for some fun individual matchs in the unlikely event that two of them ever got matched up.

Also, does anyone (else) support moving one or two of the other Lanterns onto the Power List to go with Hal? I think Alan Scott should get serious consideration for the Power List, and maybe Kyle Rayner.

8. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Alan is generally considered to be right up there, so he's a definite possibility. But I don't know about Kyle, considering how often he seemed to lose. At least when I had him. Some of the stuff that Hal has done is just amazing; not really as much evidence for Kyle.

9. JANGOANTILLES

JANGOANTILLES Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2005
    First off, you did a great job running this Draft, DI. Nice and organized. My one complaint about the game would be that the reserve judges were never deputized during some of those patches when judgements were awol.

Thing should be a power list pick. Super-Skrull should be demoted to the regular list. Also, Onslaught seems to powerful to be in the draft, but maybe that's just me. He isn't Galactus powerful but if Thanos isn't there I don't feel he should be. Apart from that, how 'bout adding Sentry, Zatanna, or some Ultimates incarnations?

And congrats to Durron, you made us all look like saps![face_beatup]

10. Shadow_of_Durron

Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Knight star 6

May 2, 2003
    Gotta make this sorta quick, since I'm leaving in few.

I'll get into the characters that should be added, subtracted, new power-listers, useless power-listers, and all that stuff later. IMO, that's the only thing that needs more tweaking. Not a crazy amount, though.

Surprised to see you volunteering to Commish yet another one of these damn things. :p But no, I have zero problems with it. You make a fine Commish, I must say. Maybe after the next one I'll take over again if you get a little burnt out.

I thought about judging again, but I think I've decided to take crack at a repeat. It'll be tougher, since a lot of people know the steals now, but I think I might have a couple more surprises up my sleeve. ;)

Yeah, not sure the location thing would really benefit the game that way. I figured that, if anything, it would be sort of fun as a randomly assigned thing for every match. There would be a slight chance of drawing beneficial or detrimental areas, but mostly it would just help to visualize the matches, which is always fun.

Cenus is fine.

The amount of players and the format is fine. Although, there's got to be a way to speed it up just a skotch. Did we really start this thing on Valentine's Day? Four months just seemed a tad long for a draft that ran this smoothly and with no problems to run its course. Not sure if anything can be done about. Mostly is was just some busy days for the judges, I think.

Anyways, yeah, characters later and stuff and stuff.

11. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    To suggestions so far:

BaSSiL

Domino -- Added, regular list
    Blink -- Probably will be added, regular list

EmpireForever

Mr. Majestic -- Added, power list
    Elixir -- probably won't be added
    Mimic -- Will be Exiles Mimc, regular list

batpooh

Jean Grey -- will remain seperate from Phoenix (who in this draft is Rachel Summers)

Despised

Hourman -- moved to power list (although he's not the only one moving up)

Marcus
    Alan Scott -- will probably go to the power list
    Kyle Rayner -- will probably stay on the regular list. you make a good point.

JANGO

Super Skrull -- stays on power list.
    Onslaught -- stays in the draft. Remember, this is not full power Onslaught, but he's still top five in this draft
    Sentry -- Removed after last draft, staying out
    Zatanna -- Not sure. Have any good info on her?
    Ultimates -- I'd like to keep Ultimate incarnations out

Shurron

Not character issues but ...

Of course you're GMing again. I want this draft to see one defending champion make it through the entire next draft, even if it isn't for a repeat!

I'm not sure what we can speed up. 16 gms = 160 draft picks, 56 regular season matches with 8+ rounds of judging per match, plus 5 playoff matches. It will help if we can avoid the number 2 pick falling off the face of the earth and delaying the draft for three days. ;)

Integral

The following are power list characters not drafted last time. These are the only ones I would consider demoting from the list, and even then, only with strong reasoning. But, hey, its something else to go through to make sure we're good

Abomination
    Bizzaro
    General Zod
    Solomon Grundy
    Toxin
    Ultron

12. OBI-BEN-KENOBI

OBI-BEN-KENOBI Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 13, 2004
    Congratulations shadow!

13. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Bring back strange.

Also what's the deal with Juggernaut's abilities? and how powerful is magneto? If you depower him for any reason, he should be on the regular list. Also removing scarlet witch or keeping her?

14. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Juggernaut and Magneto are at their peaks, as far as I can tell. One is the unstoppable beast with superhuman strength and a vulnerability to magik and mental attacks (if his helmet is removed) and the other is the master of magnetism able to use it as a force field, to augment physical strength, to fly, to attack, etc. What is the real question there?

I'm for completely removing Scarlet Witch ... even putting her at House of M had several people unsure of her powers and what she could/couldn't do, and having her as she is House of M ... is waaaaaaaaaaaaay too powerful

And Strange will stay off the list. He unbalances team fights

15. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    I would personally say that the GL's don't need to be on the power list at all, we already have Sinestro and Hall up there and they are hands down the best 2, lets keep them as the only ones on that list. Besides, they make for great regular list picks anyway.

As for the following guys, here is my opinion on them

Abomination-regular list
    Bizzaro-power list
    General Zod -power list
    Solomon Grundy-regular list
    Toxin-regular list
    Ultron-power list

My main reasoning for that is that both Abomination and Grundy are about the same as Rhino/Blob/Colossus/Thing, all they have is strength and in abundance. As for Toxin, he may be x2 as powerful compaired to Carnage and Venom, but they lose all the time, would Toxin fair any better?

Also, the Hulks. Please don't add all the incarnation in at once. Please, please, please! I think the way we are doing the Hulk is perfect, and when it comes down to it would you really want to make judgements on a Hulk vs Hulk fight?

16. Darthsuperbatpooh

Darthsuperbatpooh Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 29, 2002
    i agree with all of this...as far as alan goes he should remain on the reg list cause only prepped is he good enough to hang with the PL's

17. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    I agree with scrapping Scarlet Witch. And I agree that Toxin should be off the Power List. Would he beat anyone onthe Power List? He seems like a top tier regular list to me.

18. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    Why scrap the Witch? She does not seem too hard to judge, as long as we keep House of M out of it anyway.

19. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    because I get really tired of reading "ZOMG! Scarlet Witch alters reality! She can before House of M, just not with great accuracy. Hence, with prep time, she can do it just as well for this one time, and then she turns her opponent into a newt!"

Abomination was on the top of my list to cut from the Power List. Toxin was next, and then Grundy. So I like your thinking Despised.

But, the only reason Carnage loses so much is that he's a power list target. He doesn't suck, just just had horrible numbers luck last draft (and the draft before)

20. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    I could go either way on that Scarlett issue, but I would love to see her stay. Either way.

True. [face_laugh] But even if he was at Toxin's level of power I don't think he would have won many more. It will be interesting to see if Carnage can pull out a win in the next draft. :p

21. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    If someone drafts him next time that is.

22. Master_Kast7

Master_Kast7 Jedi Knight star 6

May 12, 2004
    I definately want to play this next round. :)

23. OBI-BEN-KENOBI

OBI-BEN-KENOBI Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 13, 2004
    Just out of curiosity. who do we consider to be venom since brock auctioned off his suit? We get to choose like we do for green goblin and the like. ie: others with multible identities?

24. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I hope I didn't do zomg scarlet just alters reality. I was more argueing small hexes and trumping her with vision so she wouldn't be a power issue. At any rate, why does Fate not cause a team imbalance but strange does? There are others that cause team imbalances that are still on the list. I think strange on the power list and argued similiar to the way fate was would be fine. For example the flash would take him out most likely and a prepared moondragon, grey or one of the other physics.
    Also X-man. What's the deal with him?

25. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    I say put Strange in, and leave X Man in. Between the 2 characters do you honestly see any blow outs going on? I don't.

Seriously think about this, Dr Strange isn't getting prep in single matches so he is beatable. Also think that in a 16 GM draft, there is a certain degree of inbalance anyway, the person who gets Strange probably isn't getting another pick for 30 more turns so it balances itself out a lot. Also lets think about about the Jedi Draft a moment, Luke creates an inmabalance no? With 12 GMs it sure does, and no small one at that IMO. Does it create for a predictable season in which the only team that wins is the one with Luke? No.

Also think that there are many others like Silver Surfer, Darksied, X Man, Dr Fate, and X Man who are rather close in regards to power to Strange and can compete with him. Sure having Strange on a team would be nice, but any real inbalance also would depend on making great picks to back him up and then hoping that nobody else makes decent picks. No one character could = a win in the draft, even Dr Strange.

That is my opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.