main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi / Light Side The Complete Jedi Costume Guide

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Jyro-Kyrn, Mar 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Forcebewitya

Forcebewitya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 7, 2002
    Yeah I learned that with my first Jedi costume those boots are a pain since they are uncomfortable and too small for me. The boots I did end up getting for my Tusken Radier Jedi A'sharad Hett were just those cheap rubber wading boots and then I glued bandages to them they are fairly comfortable and very cheap ^_^ thanks for the help though.

Forcebewitya.

2. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    This is what worked for me on getting Jedi boots on e-bay:

To get to the most applicable hits, earch on:

brown riding boots [your size]
    brown knee boots [your size]
    brown motorcycle boots [your size]
    jedi boots [your size]

My size is 7 1/2, so I ended up searching on:

brown riding boots 7.5
    brown knee boots 7.5
    brown motorcycle boots 7.5

and

brown riding boots 7 1/2
    brown knee boots 7 1/2
    brown motorcycle boots 7 1/2

just to make sure that I got them all. Whenever I've looked for Jedi boots, they're always in sizes way too big for me.

Generally, I could find boots for $30 or less, but it could take weeks of looking before anything good showed up.

Also KNOW YOUR FEET before you buy. Be sure of the size and any special needs your feet and your legs might have. Don't forget calf width. Cowboy boot styles and some women's shoes especially can be narrow and uncomfortable, so it's bets to avoid those.

BTW, if you're a man, take your US shoe size and add 1 1/2 to get the equivalent women's US shoe size. If you're a woman, take your US shoe size and subtract 1 1/2 to get your equivalent men's US shoe size.

There is a pretty good translation for all international shoe sizes at: international shoe sizes -- http://www.i18nguy.com/l10n/shoes.html.

3. LDS_JEDI

LDS_JEDI Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 10, 2006
    Where might I find information about Luke's Return of the Jedi costume as seen when visiting Jabba?

4. LDS_JEDI

Feb 10, 2006
    I would recommend Captain Carter her stuff is great and she has good prices. She does get extremely busy, so if you do not get an immediate reply... that's okay.

5. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002

It's one of the costumes discussed in the Luke Skywalker Costumes thread. Notice that the word "Costumes" is plural. ;) Did you look in that thread yet?

6. LDS_JEDI

Feb 10, 2006
    Hi Loreen...

I haven't because I didn't know it existed. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! :D

7. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    Ok, well, that thread has been on the first page since before you posted that question, so I guess I thought you should have seen it. [face_blush] :p

8. LDS_JEDI

Feb 10, 2006
    The reason I didn't see it was that I was blinded by your blade! no wait.. that's not it.. Oh yeah, I have THIS thread bookmarked and I come here directly.

9. Master_Kiona

Master_Kiona Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 20, 2002
    Random question... A few pages back there was some talking about incorporating a corset into a girly jedi costume, has anyone actually done it? Mines "in process" (ie. a pile of fabric waiting for its turn... ;) ), but I'd be interested in seeing other folks... [face_praying]

10. jepoy

jepoy Jedi Youngling

Apr 21, 2006
    Hi All, I've read through most of this thread and I think I'm ready to begin my quest to make my own Jedi outfit. I have a few general questions though.

1) Does anyone know of any other names that "Crinkled Cotton" goes by? I was at Walmart last night looking for some crinkled cotton, but I found some that was plaid! I also saw some material that was called "Homespun" that was a little thicker than Crinkled Cotton but they didn't have any lighter colors.

2) If you live in Seattle, where would be a good place to pick up some decently priced fabric?

I'm going for either an EII or EIII Obi-Wan depending on the color of fabric I find. I may try dying but I don't know how (I don't even know how to sew for that matter).

Thanks everyone!

11. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Hi jepoy, you might want to get in touch with Jedi-Kai and/or ladysonnet, they are both members of Alpha Base, the Seattle chapter of the Rebel Legion. They sometimes have costume/prop workshops for the group and you could also get fabric shopping advice from them. Check out the Alpha Base threads here: http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/display_forum_topics.asp?ForumID=39

12. jepoy

jepoy Jedi Youngling

Apr 21, 2006
    Cool, thank you Sister_Sola!

13. Jedi_Kai

Jedi_Kai Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2001
    Yes, come on over to Alpha Base. We do costume workshops but we have a bit of a busy season coming up for costumed events so not sure when we'll put on the next one.

LadySonnet actually works at a Hancock store. There aren't very many choices: Hancock or JoAnn's. Or Wallmart, but I don't shop there.

Most of my fabric is purchased on line:

Phoenix Textiles

fabric-store.com which used to be known as LinenWeb, sells mostly linen at about $7/yd.

Thai Silk Raw Silk

14. jepoy

jepoy Jedi Youngling

Apr 21, 2006
    Thank you for the links Jedi_Kai! I've joined the Alpha Base forums and hopefully when there is another workshop, I can attend.

15. Cerebral-Rent

Cerebral-Rent Jedi Youngling

Jul 20, 2005
    As for the fabric, I used Polyester Crepe. It's light, cheap, and looks hand-woven. Fabulous and it falls very nicely.

But I gotta question about tabards. :/ And I'm sure everyone on this forum is tired of people asking. xD

But yeah. I make a pair, Obi-Wan's style (not continuing down the back past the obi) and that didn't work out so well. I had to adjust them twice, didn't make them broad enough as it turns out, and didn't curve them (I'm not a boy xD). They also like.. bulged at the back over the obi and didn't lie flat.

Any suggestions on how to make them lie flat on my backside without having to sew them to the outer tunic?

ANY HELP WILL BE WORSHIPPED.

16. Amanita

Amanita Jedi Youngling star 2

May 12, 2003
    What I did was cut mine as long straight rectangles, but put a bit of a nip and tuck into them at the waist, both front and back. That way, the sections below the waist go straight down, but the sections above the waist spread out as they head up toward my shoulders, sorta like this-
    \ /-above the waist
    ||-below the waist

17. Cerebral-Rent

Cerebral-Rent Jedi Youngling

Jul 20, 2005
    Saweet. Kay, let's try that...

18. Amanita

Amanita Jedi Youngling star 2

May 12, 2003
    The other thing I do is I connect the tabards together at the back with a small piece of fabric. That way they don't get seperated and lost.

19. HardwareStoreJedi

HardwareStoreJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 10, 2006
    Another tabard question: is it permissable to do the tabard/belt combo in a *contrasting* color to the outer tunic? All the Jedi I've seen have the same color for the tabard/belt combo. I think that it would look better on me if I went with a contrasting dark brown to go over the khaki outer tunic. Dark colors just look better on someone like me..."dark to diminish." I have enough fabric to do the tabard/belt in khaki but I just think this would look better. What say ye, fellow costumers?

Update: duh, looked at a bunch of RL/TJA Jedi costumes and it certainly looks like a contrasting tabard/belt is acceptable. Actually what I will be doing is more like a Japanese chanchanko vest, only there will not be a side panel. The obi will be a part of the chanchanko/tabard vest thing.

So here's the rundown:

Done:
    * Cappucino-colored brown ankle-length skirt
    * Coffee-colored brown hooded over-robe
    * Olive drab/brown mottled "inner tunic" dickey from Simplicity 5840. Note this fabric is not woodland camo, but a mottled fabric that looks like the variegations on a leaf.
    * Khaki with brown and olive/brown mottled head wrap. I always wear a bandana on my head when at a con because it is often WICKED HOT on the con floor and this keeps the sweat out of my eyes. If Luminara Unduli can wear both headgear and a hooded robe, so can I.
    * Brown suede "Earth boots" purchased last year.

To do:
    * Khaki colored outer tunic
    * Espresso colored "chanchanko vest" style tabard/obi combo, inspired by the book "Make Your Own Japanese Clothes" by Marshall, ISBN 0-87011-865-X. Will have some of the olive/brown mottled fabric for accents at the collar.

All fabric is 100% cotton. Most is plain cotton or cotton twill, but the khaki is a cotton sateen that has a very subtle sheen to it. Most fabrics from Woodbury University and FIDM fabric sales...score! ^_^

20. Independence1776

Independence1776 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 3, 2006
    I need help. My sister and I are making our first costumes, and we don't really know how to sew (we're enlisting our mother to help). The problem lies in the fact that we have a pattern for the tunics, but we need to alter it to fit the Jedi tunics better. And we don't know how to do that.

The pattern is Simplicity 4134, a kimino pattern. I will be making both the long and short versions, and my sister will be making the short version only.

Any help or suggestions for altering the pattern is greatly, greatly appreciated.

21. Jaren_Valnor

Jaren_Valnor Jedi Master star 2

Sep 19, 2004
    Can someone point me towards a good pattern for an undertunic? If there's modifications, that's okay, just be specific. I'm not sewing, but a friend is.

22. Jedi_Kai

Jedi_Kai Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2001
    The same kimono pattern, just alter the sleeves to make them very long and narrow. Cut them on the bias to get the max stretch out of the fabric and fit them so they barely stretch over your fist. Cut several inches too long, and the sleeves will "ruck" in the correct way.

I also make it a bit shorter.

illustration of bias:
    http://public.fotki.com/Kait/star_wars/host/bias.html

rucked sleeve:
    http://public.fotki.com/Kait/star_wars/host/rucked.html

My tutorial:
    http://home.comcast.net/~jedikai/Part2.pdf

23. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Bumped for recent query. :)

24. DarthTiki

DarthTiki Jedi Master

May 16, 2002
    There's a great set of boots from the Sarah Jessica Parker Bitten Collection @ Steve & Barry's. Now if I can convert them to men's size I'd be set

25. Miba

Miba Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 21, 2004
    I was wondering how you make a hood stay up on the cloak. I made a Jedi cloak and when the hood's up it tends to blow back down almost immediately just from walking, even if there's no wind. How do you keep the hood up?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.