main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Fast & The Furious (Fast X)

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Oct 4, 2011.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Same here. Find away to send Brian O'Conner off into the sunset while preserving Walker's last moments on film.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
  3. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Was thinking the other day that this is probably about the time we'd be getting a trailer had Walker not died.

So depressing.

4. Jedi ninja Snow

Jedi ninja Snow Jedi Youngling

Apr 15, 2014
    Are you guys talking about the fake death of Paul walker cause the lisence plate on the car he got into was different then the one at the crash I think its a hoax

5. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Bitter over Ice Cube getting snubbed for a Teen Choice award for the Fast & Furious crew?

6. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  7. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    They keep getting more over the top, but I still watch them.

TX-20 likes this.
  8. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Looks awesome

TX-20 likes this.
  9. mratm23

mratm23 Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2014
    From humble beginnings of stealing electronics...

Anyways, DAMN. These are the movies I LOVE to see with my dad. Especially Fast & Furious, which is always THE EVENT to see over here in Southern California. Nobody goes without seeing a new F&F movie over here.

TX-20 likes this.
  10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Looks pretty fun- trailer isn't as interesting or effective as the ones for the last three films but it does the job.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So I caught a showing last night- pretty packed (but not as packed as when I saw Tokyo Drift- but then that film wasn't playing every hour on 3-4 screens). Though I can't believe people brought babies and very young children out on a Friday 9[M showing to this thing- I've only encountered people bringing babies to a movie maybe 3-4 times before in my 20 years of active filmgoing, and there were at least two at this screening, plus several toddlers in their pajamas, arg.

Anyways, Furious Seven: Ghost Protocol- crazier than the sixth with more hand to hand combat and a nice tribute to Walker (and his absence isn't super-noticeable throughout the film but there's at least two scenes where you can tell they were editing around or using brief one-word phrases to involve Walker in a scene).

Finale is pretty cool but the world hopping missions in the middle make the story feel unfocused (and very much like MI: GP as the center set piece revolves around stealing something from a UAE skyscraper and the finale features a parking garage brawl)- particularly because they're doing it to help them better catch Statham's character, but he's hunting them anyways so it feels kinda pointless.

Statham is cool (but is just a revenge machine with little story) and The Rock is a badass. Lucas Black finally returns to the series but for only one scene, unfortunately. Also, no stinger to this one.

In the end, its fun and the action is over the top but the film is a little underwhelming after the fifth and sixth films excelled so much. I just wish the middle of the film felt more integrated into the beginning and finale.

12. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Seeing the movie on Tuesday :)

13. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    It wasn't of the same standard as the last two, but not that far off. I think a lot of the problems that exist with the movie are driven by Walker's death and both having to work around that, and the changes that they might have made to the story as part of it.

While not 100% fitting in with the rest of the movie (despite the little pieces placed throughout about how important family is), the coda for the movie was cathartic for people that have been watching the series since the start, and you could see it was for the actors too.

14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Do you reckon there will be two more? I'm so pumped that Kurt is in this.

15. Adam of Nuchtern

Sep 2, 2012
    Saw this last night.

1. In terms of hilariously ridiculous moments, Statham's first scene takes the cake. The final punchline shot nearly killed me.

2. Action-wise, it peaks with the Caucasus sequences and never succeeds in reaching those heights again. That said, for the most part, the remaining set pieces manage to be pretty enjoyable (the one exception being the factory ambush, although that at least gave us the shot of Kurt Russell in sun glasses.)

3. Speaking of Russell, he's terrific and it's a crime that he completely disappears after the second act. As for the remaining new additions, Nathalie Emmanuel is fine (though adding yet another hacker to group felt redundant), Djimon Hounsou is utterly wasted, and Tony Jaa and Ronda Rousey do what they do best.

4. One area where this entry definitely felt inferior to the last two was the CGI. There were a number of moments that looked very unfinished.

5. With regards to the stuff shot after Paul Walker's death, there's a few shots that approach the uncanny valley, but overall it felt pretty seamless. Also, the final send off was pretty moving.

6. As to where the franchise goes from here, they need to either call it a day or give the formula a serious overhaul. The "Fast Five, only bigger" approach has been fun, but by this point there's a definite sense of diminishing returns.

Overall a good, if somewhat patchwork entry. Though considering what the production had to deal with, the fact that it was good at all is a damn miracle.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, clearly they need to go to Germany for Fast Nein.

BigAl6ft6 and heels1785 like this.
  17. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Furious Nein, you mean.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    No, Führerious Nein.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  19. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I woke up this morning expecting to just watch FF6, maybe to go see 7 tomorrow. Instead, I've spent the day (sans basketball) watching nearly all of these movies for the first time. They're not great cinema, by any means, but they're entertaining as hell.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  20. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Despite the film's running time being a bit too long, and some other things, I still thoroughly enjoyed this entry.

Semi-random thoughts!:

1) To add to the thought that Djimon Hounsou was wasted in his role: all of the focus with the villain ought to have remained with Deckard Shaw. It's rather simple, really: he wants the God's Eye in order to properly track down & kill Toretto, O'Connor, etc.

2) I would hope that Kurt Russell is back as "Mr. Nobody" for Fast/Furious 8. Sure, his role wasn't that amazing, but it's Snake Plissken Kurt Russell, damn it!

3) Given that Helen Mirren has expressed interest in doing a film in this series, if that occurs, how would she not be the Shaw matriarch? It's too perfect for that not to happen.

4) The L.A. chase/fight finale sequences could have been easily trimmed. Take out the silly helicopter stuff, and stick with some car chases, leading to a showdown with Shaw & Toretto.

5) I'm sorry, Dom... there's no way that Corona is better than a Belgium Ale.

6) Drinking game material: A shot for every time the world 'family' is uttered AND for every booty shot. Too many booty shots. :p

7) Why did they have give Letty back her memory? I loved & respected the fact that in Fast 6, she doesn't get it back. Should have stayed that way.

8) During the bus/cliff section of the Caucus Mountains action sequence, specifically as the bus is about slide off the cliff with O'Connor still inside, I immediately thought of these two scenes:

9) Lovely tribute to Paul Walker at the end. They couldn't have done that any better.

BigAl6ft6 and Adam of Nuchtern like this.
  21. Adam of Nuchtern

Sep 2, 2012
  22. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i have to agree about some points.
    Hounsou , i was surprised, was finished off, and Shaw is still alive at the end.
    It's really become almost 2 seperate series in a way. The first 4 were about street racing and some crime. The last 3, and in particular the last 2 , have become just completely overblown action movies. I had to think of the prequel thread whether there was too much cgi in Star Wars. Here's a movie that's 'real world' and the cgi is running rampant. All traces of realism are gone. You have practically a war in downton L.A., cops basically nowhere to be found, no armed forces. Even Mr. Nobody's black ops team is out gunned by some mercenary squad?! I thought it was especially funny where Ludacris' suv gets hit from the front with about 200 bullets, but the fully exposed tires never get hit.
    And has the Rock basically reached the point where he's playing the same guy in every movie? Was this Hobbs or Roadblock or his wrestling character.
    anyways. :)

23. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Seeing Furious 7 tonight :)

24. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Saw the film, it was pretty good but Fast Five still remains the best of the series

25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm seeing this...eventually.

Legolas Skywalker likes this.