main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Awards & Contests The First RPF Drabble Extravaganza! CONCLUDED - Come Congratulate The Winners!

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by DarthXan318, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Good to see you all back, and with nice varied takes on the prompt, too. :D

100 Words: sey, Sithy

Winner: Livi-Wan. Although I have to say, because I know nothing about Batwoman, I 'heard' that in Jennifer Hale's voice. Too much Mass Effect. :p

[b]Scoreboard:[/b]
    Winged_Jedi: 3
    Livi-Wan: 3
    DarkLordoftheFins: 2
    Sith-I-5: 1
    Trieste: 1
    darthramza: 1

[hr]
    [b]And The Next Prompt Is:[/b]
    [blockquote]#12: Won't somebody think of the children![/blockquote]

2. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Chief Baxter watched rescue choppers from half a dozen navies coming in low over the blue-grey waves, the burning Tokyo skyline at their backs.

Sailors waved them down to the deck, where the helicopters disgorged batches of hollow-eyed refugees onto the USS Ronald Reagan's flight deck.

How the hell no-one had caught the disclaimer in the old Showa Godzilla film credits: based on a true story.

Survivors were wailing in dialects he barely understood as he moved from one landed craft after another - "Alguien piensa en los niños"

He caught the Spanish though. "Whoa whoa; what children?"

3. darthhelinith

darthhelinith Force Ghost star 6

Feb 10, 2009
    Inspired by a conversation with a friend.
    I might be pushing this a little...

"WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN?!"
    "What the hell?"
    "Sorry, I've just always wanted to yell that into a room of crowded people, while looking as dramatic as possible."
    "Ehhh... I prefer 'NOBODY MOVE! I've lost my contacts!' Unfortunately, my glasses don't help much with the illusion."
    "I can imagine."
    "My Uncle is stranger though. He prefers 'I AM ATTRACTED TO SEA CREATURES! ANYONE ELSE INTERESTED?!'"
    "Wait.. 'Is'? You said he was dead."
    "No, I merely said he was sleeping with the fishes."

4. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    Two troopers lounged at their post, tossing their helmets to each other.

The woman trying to get their attention seemed rather distressed. She moved between them, so they took to throwing the helmets over her head.

"Barve in the middle!" sniggered one. Typical Devil Squad: self-proclaimed pranksters of the Clone Army.

"Please," begged the woman. "My son's inside. Are the padawans okay?"

One trooper sighed, and glanced over his shoulder at the burning Temple. He took a moment to consult his comm, then turned back, grinning.

"Don't worry about it ma'am," he said. "Master Skywalker is taking care of them."

EDIT: Annoying typo

5. spycoder9

spycoder9 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 23, 2008
    Madeline forced the three children down the hallway. The hallways, which at one point had overloaded with activity, were now silent. Boston Medical Center has never been silent. Dr. Carpenter had told Madeline to get the children out before all the action went down. Madeline led the children towards the lobby. Her heart pounded.That?s when she saw the soldiers. Guns raised, they fired down the hallways, chasing after people. Then one pointed his gun at the three of them.

?Won?t somebody think of the children?? Madeline begged.

The soldier began shooting and didn?t stop until the job was done.

OOC: The Andrea post: toboggan, where I live, means tuque on Wikipedia. Sorry for the confusion, I just assumed everyone called it that!

6. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    Don't apologise, spycoder. I like learning new things, and it was an entertaining thing to learn. :D They're called beanies here.

100 Words: Wing

Winner: Winged_Jedi, for a wicked sorta-subversion of the prompt. Skywalker is taking care of them, indeed. :p

Winged_Jedi: 4
    Livi-Wan: 3

[hr]
    [blockquote]#13: Light[/blockquote]

7. Livi-Wan

Livi-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    I highly suggest you find out more about Batwoman! Her modern incarnation is as badass as fem!Shep, and I'll confess I hear her dialogue in Jennifer Hale's voice too. :p Her wikipedia page is a good place to start (read about Kate Kane, not Kathy).

"What is Amy to you?"

Rory thought about it. About her smile, bright and sudden like sparks or stars. How she threw him into contrast- highlighted his good qualities, shadowed his worst ones. How she was a guide and a comfort in dark places. The sheer warmth of her presence, and the cold burning of her anger.

"Light." he said, and it was so simple he laughed. "She's light."

8. Trieste

Trieste Chosen One star 6

Apr 10, 2010
    ?But she was blinded by the light! Wrapped up like a douche??

?Stop!? The recording session ground to a noisy and impatient halt. ?Mannfred! Those aren?t even the real lyrics!?

?Springsteen?s lyrics sucked. ?Cut loose like a deuce?? Seriously? The Boss went with that??

?I know they?re not ideal, but could we compromise??

?Like what??

?How about, ?Revved up like a deuce?? That?s not so bad.?

?That?s like saying the Titanic wasn?t as bad as the Hindenburg. Here?s a real compromise?how about we say it?s your lyrics but I sing mine??

9. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    Etherial, transcending, waving, particulate inarticulate effectum nostrodamun.

Light, oh how yet your sweet caress once warmed my face. That simple touch giving more with your magic technique than a simple horde of lamps could ever dain.

Why do you turn cold? The touch, it still comes. Your light it still shines. Where is that warmth that magic that infussed my skin? I see you, I live in you, but I no longer feel you. Why is the light of the day here, why have you not gone away as all the summer promises you once gave?

Goodnight bitter-sweet light. Sad-bye.

10. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    100 Words: Trieste, Mitth

Winner: Livi-Wan. Once again I'm not sure whether this is an OC drabble or a fandom one, but it's excellently written.

Livi-Wan: 4

[hr]
    [blockquote]#14: Dark[/blockquote]

(Of course. ;))

11. spycoder9

spycoder9 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 23, 2008
    The desert was dark at night.

If there was night here.

In this darkness, a lone Japanese girl with a bruised face, recently transformed into a woman, searches for her companions. Sight is limited.

In the dark.

In this darkness, a sky marshal saves his lover?s life by becoming a monster. A Caleb.

In the dark.

In the darkness, a strange man assists a young woman in carrying a waitress outside of an Inn. An Inn filled with dead bodies.

In the dark.

In the darkness, a bedraggled woman struggles through the desert.

In the dark.

Always in the dark.

12. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    A deep breath of the night´s air filled his lungs as he stared down on the streets. Humanity was harmless and naïve. Since he had left their ranks it had become so evident.
    The lights of the street below turned out one by one. A chain reaction, carrying darkness along the street until it had consumed all visible features of it.
    He was not afraid. Why would he? People were afraid of what waited for them in the dark. What lurked there? Something hungry. And indeed something was there. Waiting.

Him.

So what should he fear in the dark?

13. Trieste

Trieste Chosen One star 6

Apr 10, 2010
    ?There is no such thing as the light and dark side of the Force,? Arik argued, ?Only our intentions pervert the Force.?

?The Potentium is a misguided notion at best, a justification of evil at worst,? Lexine replied.

?Why fight it?? Arik hissed, ?You know it to be true. You only want what?s right. Give in.?

?So there is no dark?? she asked with an arched eyebrow.

?None. You?ll find that??

She lashed out with the green current of Electric Judgment without warning. When she was done, the Sith lay dead.

?Yes, considerably,? the Jedi remarked, walking away.

14. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    The creatures of the night feared him. He struck with deadly force against his own kind because in his soul there was only darkness, a darkness that he longed to make light. A darkness that he knew he could eliminate if he atoned for his past actions.

He dressed in black to match the darkness of his soul. He could no longer go out into the sunshine. The world was dark to him.

Out of that darkness he will come. Fast. Deadly. Powerful. Soulful.

Demons of Los Angeles you are dust and to dust you shall return. Angel is here.

15. Sir_Draco

Sir_Draco Jedi Master star 4

Aug 19, 2007
    "Jason Dark." The stranger introduced himself. "What?" Max asked, raising a brow. "Really?"
    "Yeah, that´s my name." He said, shrugging.
    "Gimme a second," Max laughed. "you are a horror writer called Dark? Does it happen often that people don´t take you serious?"
    "It is my family name." The man grew visibly angry.
    "Sure."
    "No it is!"
    "I am Max Terrible. But I write under Max Horrid." Max laughed. "Can call me Shocker, though." He laughed even louder.
    "Man, it is JUST A NAME!"
    "What´s your son called? Dim?"
    "MAX!"
    "Horrid, my pleasure." He couldn´t stop laughing.

16. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    I learned to feel the shape of Sarah's smile even before we were married. I found it upon her lips every day.

Her hands and voice were the guides that my eyes couldn't be. She never complained. Wherever our adventures took us, I trusted her touch, treasured her laughter.

When we grew old, she trusted me to look after her instead, and the last time she fell asleep was in my arms.

Every day I told her how beautiful she looked, and she always told me that I couldn't know. But all that darkness never stopped me dreaming her face.

17. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Clad in his rain-soaked cagoule, booted feet, two layers of woolen socks, and both thumbs stuck inside the vertical backpack straps running down either side of his broad chest, Seamus looked critically into the gash of blackness set into the untidy clumps of half-dried grasses.

After several minutes contemplation of the entrance, he turned back to the more experienced pot-holing group, some with coils of rope over shoulders, or hard hats with integral lamps.

"You are not reeeally selling this idea to me. You know?"

18. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    You guys have gotten pretty good at hitting the word limit exactly. :D

100 Words: Wing, Draco, sey, Trieste

Winner: s65horsey, for a drabble that is melancholy, hopeful, and fatalistic at the same time. I think you've managed to capture the essence of Angel really well there. Love the last sentence too.

Livi-Wan: 4
    s65horsey: 1

[hr]
    [blockquote]#15: Pirates vs Ninjas[/blockquote]

19. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    OOC: :D

IC:

The young man sat with his head in his hands. He felt torn. The ability to move silently, be unseen, and be deadly was within his grasp. There was honor with this path. He also had the opportunity to spend the majority of his time drunk, on a ship, and sailing the seas. There was no honor; they lived by their own code.

Decisions. Decisions.

He lifted his head out of his hands as he continued to think.

This was it.

Mitch picked up the Ninja Turtles video game and hit power as he cradled the controller in his hands.

20. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    The sea breeze.

Nothing relaxed Blonde Beard after a successful day?s pillaging quite like standing at the front of his ship, and allowing that breeze to wash over him. Salty. Cool. Refreshing.

Today?s target had been a Spanish galleon, loaded to practically the sinking point with chests and chests of riches coming from the New World. With this kind of load, his crew, and himself, could look forward to heaps of booze, women, and food.

Suddenly, there was a loud THUNK. The pirate captain looked down, and saw the shuriken in his peg leg. ?Hmph. Ninjas.?

And then they attacked.

21. Livi-Wan

Sep 29, 2002

"So, pirates versus ninjas."

"Not again." Dave groaned, his head buried in a copy of Amazing Spider-Man. "And the plural is ninja, by the way."

"It's the eternal dichotomy." Steve ignored him, warming to his subject. "Order versus chaos. Subtlety versus terror. East versus west!"

"I don't care versus this is a stupid question." Dave put down the comic and looked Steve square in the eye. "It's just another internet meme. Next we'll be discussing how the cake is a lie. Can't we talk about politics for a change?"

Steve pouted.

"You're no fun, Dave."

22. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Maiko stabbed and slashed her sword, straighter than the katana, to North, South, East and West, thudded shiruken into a wooden target, re-sheathed the weapon over her shoulder, and dropped to one knee, head bowed before the corporate execs watching her.

The wooden-floored room echoed with the sound of clapping.

?Impressive, most impressive.? The American in the three-piece suit congratulated. ?One thing missing, I fear. This.?

?Fast? I wasn't fast enough?? She pouted, smoothing the four-letter word over the chest of her abbreviated ninjitsu uniform.

?No, no. F-A-S-T. Federation Against Software Theft.? Jenkins patted her bottom. ?Go get ?em, Tiger.?

23. DarthXan318

Sep 12, 2002
    ... yeah so, that one lasted a little bit longer than it was supposed to. Anyway ...

We are now officially halfway through our drabble contest! Hope you guys are having fun so far. :D

100 Words: sey, Sithy

Winner: Livi-Wan, for cleverly managing to work in not one but two internet memes into her drabble. I lol'd. :D

Livi-Wan: 5
    s65horsey: 1

[hr]
    [blockquote]#16: Time[/blockquote]

24. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    You see, people think of time as a linear relation of cause and effect, but?

?Stop!? Ramza interrupted, ?We can?t do this.?

Why the hell not? replied the narrator.

?Because you stole that wholesale from Doctor Who! We'll lose this Drabble round, and then we?ll forever have the dark mark of plagiarism affixed to our names. ?Oh, there goes Ramza and his narrator. Plagiarizing plagiarists. Did I mention they plagiarized something?? DO YOU WANT TO LIVE LIKE THAT?!?

I suppose not.

?Then shut up and come up with some other time-related topic! We?ve only got two words-"

25. Livi-Wan

Sep 29, 2002

"The hardest thing about time, the very hardest thing, is that she's fickle. The golden, perfect moments you want to last forever recede and vanish into the distance while pain, misery or just plain boredom last a lifetime. And through all this, you're the same. You can't skip moments any more than you can make yourself forget.

Much as you'd want to.

No matter how much you mess about with time, how you change or bend or break it, it comes back to that. Time changes. You don't."

Oh, [i]Doctor[/i].

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.