main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RPR Archive The Game Designers Guild

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource Archive' started by Imperial_Hammer , Apr 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    ***The Game Designers Guild***

-Est. MMVI, Role Playing Resource-

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v734/Imperial_Hammer/Prosperitythroughendeavor.jpg]

Prosperity Through Endeavour

-The Coat of Arms and Motto of the Game Designer's Guild

Introduction

Welcome to the Game Designers Guild, a group dedicated solely to the development of creative, and most importantly quality games to be used in both our forums. I, Imperial Hammer will be serving as Guild Master for this thread, which I envision to be a social community, united around the shared interest of creating high-grade first posts. Our motto, "Prosperity through Endeavor," really serves to embody the ethos of this community. We seek prosperity, for both ourselves and the RPF's at large, through endeavouring in the creation and perfection of all game styles and genera.

Membership

Anyone is welcome to be a member inside the Game Designers Guild. There is no hierarchy inside the GDG, save for the Guild Master serving as the guide and administrator of the thread. This may change as time progresses to reward exceptionally creative and strong designers.

All Members, upon posting here, agree to respect the intellectual properties of other members. This is really a matter of courtesy and respect. Ideas proposed here should be treated like they were in the Discussion Forum. Arrangements should be arranged on a personal level if people wish to enact games presented in the Guild. Idea theft shall be considered a serious offense within the Guild, however, on the same breath, we urge members to not post game ideas that they themselves desire to run in the near future. The best way to keep a game idea all yours is to keep it secret.

Also, as a sign of community, we ask all GDG members to incorporate some mention of their membership within their signature or user bios.

We are a Game Designer's Guild, and I intend to keep a focused community around that mission. If you wish to discuss other Role Playing Related aspects in a dynamic, community setting, you are more than welcome to create your own guild.

Non-Game Discussion

Social discussion is a vital part of any Guild Community, to foster and support a fellowship by all of its members. However, as this is a community revolving around a purpose, the Guild Master will be sure to monitor the discussion so as to keep it at least marginally around the subject matter at hand. A pure Social Thread will soon be found in the RPR, so we would kindly ask for members to keep business at least somewhere floating around the back of their conversations.

On Game Discussion

Frequently, we will be discussing the topic of game design, touching on all sorts of topics that fall under this banner. Discussion topics will be set by the Guild Master, and will be rotated as the community desires. Types of topics include:

1.) Specific Game Discussion: Discussion here would revolve around a specific first post submitted to the Guild from either an outside user, or one of its members, for analysis. Talk would revolve around any particularly creative aspects of the game, areas of concern, and forecasts as to its success or failure. Past examples may be used from the RPF Annals if so required, by which credit would be given to its original creator at the end of the exercise.

2.) Game Genera Discussion: Discussion of this type would fall under two styles. The first could be called ?General? Genera Discussion, and would revolve around what would be needed to make a specific genera of gaming work. Certain styles of games, be it Western, Horror, Comedy, or what have you, require certain things inside games to make them work. General Discussions will be a venue to establish these basics. The second style could be called ?Formative? Genera Discussion. Here players together would work to make one coherent game that would have a high

2. DarthSeti5

DarthSeti5 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 6, 2001
    I would love to be a part of this community. Game design is the bread and butter of role playing and with a place like this, the RPFs can be assured a certain level of quality that will aid in keeping them alive and thriving in the coming years. Count me in. :)

~ DS5

3. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    Interesting. I'm in, then.

4. YoungAngus

YoungAngus Jedi Master star 5

May 7, 2005
    Hmm...Imp, I had no idea this was coming. [face_thinking] ;)

Well go ahead and count me in.

5. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    I'm in. And, onto business, if someone would care to look at my first Imperial Hammer-Style RPG, here is a link.

http://boards.theforce.net/non_star_wars_role_playing/b10755/23598512/p1/?17

I'm trying something new, and right now, it seems as though it could work out.

6. LightWarden

LightWarden Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2001
    Sounds interesting...

7. Dark-Enigma

Dark-Enigma Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 8, 2006
    I've been looking forward to this. [/Count Dooku]

Yeah, I'm definitely in. :)

8. BLemelisk

BLemelisk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 19, 2003
    Saw this one and it looks like a keeper. I'm in.

9. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    [Luke]I'm with you too[/Luke]

10. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    Another great idea by Imperial_Hammer...what can't this guy do? :p

Count me in as well. :)

11. Darth_Vaders_cousin

Darth_Vaders_cousin Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 12, 2004
    what can't this guy do?

While yet to find anything, Logic and Reason is still pending an ongoing investigation.

:p

Count me in Imp...

12. Imperial_Hammer

Sep 25, 2004
    SVU againt got nothing on me DVC... ;)

My, my, my.... I am humbled at this generous outpouring of support....

Truely a band of brothers if I have ever seen it, such skill arrayed here in my humble guild....

With such members, surely we shall make great leaps and bounds in our craft... :)

[color=green][u][b]***Membership of the GDG***[/b][/u][/color]

- DarthSeti5
    - Winged_Jedi
    - YoungAngus
    - Penguinator-176
    - Dark-Enigma
    - BLemelisk
    - SephyCloneNo15
    - darth_nemisis
    - Darth_Vaders_cousin

[i]***Now Accepting Members!***[/i]

[hr]
    [color=red][b][u]Agenda[/u][/b][/color]

[i]***Probably to begin sometime tomorrow***[/i]

- Short Discussion of Penguinator's RPG: "Music: The Great Communicator - A Musical RPG"

- General Genre Discussion: Humorous RPGs
    - Formative Genre Discussion: Humorous RPGs

- Yearly Competition Number 1: *Topic to be Announced*

- Gaming Mechanism Discussion: The Mathematics of Role Playing

[hr]By the way...

Be sure to encorporate the GDG into your sig or bio!

-I_H

13. agap_afima

agap_afima Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 19, 2005
    Count me in!

14. dontlookatmethatway

dontlookatmethatway Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 5, 2005
    Add me to the roster as well.

15. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    You guys need a n00b...

I'm in.

16. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    I still think of myself as a n00b...

17. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005
    Well, a guild can never have too many n00bs. Any way, we both should be fading away from n00bdom in the near future.

18. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    I'm allowed on the Oldbies list in the adoptions program, and I've been here for nearly a year... yet I still feel n00bish...

19. Imperial_Hammer

Sep 25, 2004
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v734/Imperial_Hammer/Prosperitythroughendeavor.jpg]

***Game Designers Guild News***
    Volume 1: Number 1

[hl=darkblue][color=yellow][b][u]***Full Roster***[/u][/b][/color][/hl]

[u][b]Full Members[/b][/u]
    - DarthSeti5
    - Winged_Jedi
    - YoungAngus
    - Penguinator-176
    - Dark-Enigma
    - BLemelisk
    - MASTERPRENN

[b][u]Partial Members - Put the GDG into your Sig or Bio![/u][/b]
    - SephyCloneNo15
    - darth_nemisis
    - Darth_Vaders_cousin
    - agap_afima
    - dontlookatmethatway

[i]And Still Accepting Membership!!![/i]

[hr]
    [color=#990099][b][u]***Agenda***[/u][/b][/color]

[u]Now[/u]
    - Short Discussion of Penguinator's RPG: "Music: The Great Communicator - A Musical RPG"

[u]Next[/u]
    - General Genre Discussion: Humorous RPGs

[u]Later[/u]
    - Formative Genre Discussion: Humorous RPGs
    - Yearly Competition Number 1: *Topic to be Announced*
    - Gaming Mechanism Discussion: The Mathematics of Role Playing

[hr]
    [color=red][b][u]***News***[/u][/b][/color]

-The GDG Launched successfully this week, with a strong showing of nine members registering on the first day, and three registering on the second day. More members expected to show in the days upcoming

-Agenda set this week for the upcoming discussion topics. They include discussion on Penguinator's Music RPG, Humor as a genre of play, and Math's role in a game.

-Much thanks again to the Moderators for approving this Guild! We hope to make this quite the success!

[hr]
    [color=#0000bb][b][u]***And So It Begins***[/u][/b][/color]

Alright then, lets begin with our first topic of discussion...

Penguinator-176 has so graciously offered to put his RPG on the dreaded "Examination Table"

So grab your scalpels and adjust the light, we're going in...

[hr]
    [hl=#000000][color=#dd0000][b][u]***The Examination Table***[/u][/b][/color][/hl]

[b][u][link=http://boards.theforce.net/non_star_wars_role_playing/b10755/23598512/p1/?36]Music: The Great Communicator - A Musical RPG[/link][/u][/b]
    [b]By: Penguinator-176[/b]

As you enter the famed club ZoSo, wonder fills your eyes. This is what you've dreamed of for years!

The sights and sounds fill your mind: sweet fragrances from the exquisite food, the glint of lacquer on the guitars at the stage...So much all at once. As you pass through the second set of doors, into the dance floor, you see tall, burly Samoan bouncers. Stoping others at a small doorway, you worry for a moment - will they let me in?

Your fears pass as one of them, seeing you, smiles.

"Ah! There you are. Mr. Kurovich is waiting for you." says the tall man, his hair tied back in dreadlocks.

You pass the red rope, and it is sealed behind you. Others moan in frustration, some cheer you on, but you are oblivious to them. Your attention is centred on the room ahead of you.

As you walk through the short hallway, a well dressed attendant smiles, offering to take your jacket. You absently hand it to him, making sure you have your wallet with you. The room is filled, with tables in small wall sconces. The centre contains three tables, and towards the back of the room, three steps lead up to the VIP table. You are quickly ushered up, and waiting for you is a large table, packed to the brim. One seat remains open, the one to the right of Robert Kurovich, the owner.

He smiles, his teeth white, his hair brown and long. He stands to shake your hand, and you are struck by how tall he is. He grips your hand firmly, but not too hard. A good handshake.

"So glad you could make it! Great to see you!" he says, a fairly deep voice, but you can see why he's so popular amongst the ladies.

He offers the seat for you, and sits down himself. Awestruck, the conversation is a blur for you, but you manage to make the table laugh at a few anecdotes of your own. Soon, the crowd is standing up. Surprised, you remember why it is you are here: it's your next gig. You see your band members at the table with you, and your blood is pumping.

You foll

20. agap_afima

agap_afima Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 19, 2005
    I noticed I was only a partial member, and rectified the situation. My signature has been altered accordingly.

21. Rayson

Rayson Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Haha, guess I'm a little slow on the draw, but then, I always have been! :p

Count me in, I love game design! :D

[b] -Gameplay: Writing Music - Good System? Does it prejudice those that can't write it?[/b]
    [blockquote]
    Writing music can be a difficult challenge, and of course it requires a fair bit of dedication, let alone thinking. For some of the newer players this can be a challenge, especially for those who've never played a Text-Based RPG game. So I think [b]Penguinator[/b] could be running into problems not only with under-detailed posts but unimaginative thinking. You can't expect to ever fully-understand what a conductor/writer is telling you, without experiencing it.

As for being prejudiced, I'd say the count of less musically-intoned people joining the game, won't be too high, and even if it is, this could be a wonderful learning experience for them, especially for younger players who are only now becoming exposed to music. I must say, though, the RPG has me pretty interested. [face_tongue]
    [/blockquote]

[b] -GM's Burden: With a whole bunch of options, GM has to deal with lots of TAGs. Is this good for play?[/b]
    [blockquote]
    Since characters do have so many options to create a unique, fun, and very playable character, the demand for good GMing will be a BIG one. Also, because of the different musical paths that each character can take, the GM will have to keep a watchful eye, on each character, and he better have a good memory too. You'd hate to mix up the character's who we're following the same music route, let alone the players who aren't.
    [/blockquote]

22. Penguinator

May 23, 2005

Penguinator-176 has so graciously offered to put his RPG on the dreaded "Examination Table"

So grab your scalpels and adjust the light, we're going in...

Uh-oh...

23. YoungAngus

YoungAngus Jedi Master star 5

May 7, 2005
    Pen, this is a good concept for an RP. As a muscian, I like the idea of using your own material and dreams of stardom in this game.

I do have a question though regarding the material aspect. Do players write up a "Tab"? (For those of you who don't know, a Tab is a piece of sheet music which uses a numbering system to represent notes and frets on the guitar.) Do we send the sheet into you to decide the quality of the music? That is where the unfair bias may come in. For players who do not have as much skill as others in the song writng department, but wish to participate anyway.

This RP is what I like to refer to as a "Free-Roam-Game." Games like these demand much involvement from the GM. There will be many Tag's to answer as all players will be on their own seperate path. I suggest allowing players to interact with minor characters on their own, without GM interferance. For club owners and bouncers, the GM can handle and control them. But if a player wishes to interact with a bartender, a member of their fanclub or W/E, then you should allow the player to create their own dialouge. This should allow for the game to run much more smoothly, and a player won't have to stop and wait for a GM response so often.

Free-Roam-Games can also burn out very quickly. I had a game a couple months ago called, "Lords of the Underground" it was a Grand Theft Auto/Star Wars crossover. It followed a free-roam style. It was demanding as a GM, even with two controlling the game. Players followed their own paths, and for awhile things were good until Player interest was lost and the game died right there.

Imp's Podracer game is unique in that it is a Free-Roam-Game, but it is also not one. He allows for players to follow their own paths, interact, write their character's story, but then he starts a race which gives a player a strict thing to accomplish. This, IMO is why that game has been running for 5 months and has reached 40 pages.

It is very tough to run these type of games. With much GM involvement to keep player interest I see this game being a success.

YoungAngus' Rating:

[b][color=green]Thumbs Up![/color][/b]

24. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005
    Penguinator, you have created a great game and it is a lot of fun. Very creative. That said, I do have some issues.

1. The store. It seems to me that the store is too limitied (though I don't know how you would fix that) or that your players started out with too much money. I bought a third of the store on my first shot. After a band does one or two big gigs, it seems as though they could own the entire store.

2. The points. You need a point system, but the system you have made is a little confusing. We get point upgrades from the instruments we use, but do we get those points every time we use them, or do we get them once?

3. Song writing. I am an avid musician and I play four instruments and frequently wirte my own songs, so this aspect is fun and interesting to me, but I mirror some of the other members concern that it may create a bias. The way I see it, you have two options: make all players write their own songs, and judge them, or have no players write songs, and judge them based on the quatily of their post. I would favor the first, but I think the game as a whole would benifit better from the second. Perhaps create another point system or something of the like (or roll the dice, >3=croud loves it, <3=croud hates it).

4. Lack of common storey arc. I like the idea of this being a "free roam" game, but I think it needs to add in something common. Perhaps you could have a "battle of the bands" every two weeks or so?

These are the major ones. I love your game, and I love the idea, and I think with a little tweaking, this could be very succesful. On the other hand, it could certainly fizzle out quickly. It depends on you.

Prenn gives:

Two Thumbs Up!

25. Dark-Enigma

Dark-Enigma Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 8, 2006
    -Gameplay: Skill System - Smart? Not Enough? How are skills aquired? Is this good?

Not sure how skills are acquired yet (if they are acquired by performance or just buying more gear), but I think MasterPrenn's dice rolling idea may come into play here. I heard a bit about the difficulty of an area where the musician plays, and a mathematic formula that results in either the success or fiasco of a performance. Perhaps you could come up with a formula based on the dice-rolled amount, the difficulty, and then assemble an increase or decrease in performance skills.

-Gameplay: Writing Music - Good System? Does it prejudice those that can't write it?

Well, this game is centered around those who actually enjoy music. Those who don't shouldn't join it, or be prepared for a possible upsetting experience. It is from my experience that those who enjoy music can also somewhat write it. I don't think this game requires top-notch writing on the RPers part, so it should not be too difficult to muster a few rhymes and make a song out of it. The song that I posted in the game (and another one I recently finished) took me five minutes to write, tops, and I'm not too good of a songwriter, IMHO. So I don't think an issue should appear in this aspect.

-Gameplay: Song - Does the lack of traditional sheet music hurt the game. Does the fact that you can't hear a performance hurt this game?

Most of the time, the reader is apt to know what type of music is being played based on the lyrical content of the song. For instance, if you've got a sad/romantic song playing, most likely the song will be a ballad. But if you've got an upbeat patriotic/outlaw song, the beat is apt to be energetic. I think in this game, the focus should be towards the poetry of the song, not the beat that is behind it (this applies to RL life music as well), IMHO.

-Gameplay: Shop - Is this a good system to work a game off of? Are the items too boring?

I've spoken with Penguinator about this already. I believe from the shop perspective, this is a very fertile game. Later on, I think that players should have the option to purchase clothes, cars, accessories, etc., making their choices based on the personality of their character, and where their next gig is. So if you're going to a nightclub in Detroit, you're probably not going to be adorned in a tuxedo. And if you're going to be performing at a formal dinner for the state Senator, you probably wouldn't dress in shabby and rugged clothes.

[b]Final Word:[/b]

Overall, this game is so far very enjoyable, thanks to the ability to write your own song. I also believe it has a high capacity for further development and features. For instance, if you inserted the shopping idea that I explained in my previous analysis, then you could be given scenarios. So let's say that the Senator of Texas has just been re-elected. You could have one of the players perform at a celebration concert, and the skills could be given not only by the player's performance, but the player's appearance as well. This opens up a prodigious amount of options for the player. What kind of car would he/she drive up in? What kind of clothes would he/she wear? What type of music would he/she play? Huge potential lies in the depths of this game, and I strongly hope that it can be unlocked.

[b]Enigmatic Final Review:
    8/10[/b]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.