main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The great things about AOTC

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by d_arblay, Mar 12, 2011.

1. charlize-sheen

charlize-sheen Jedi Youngling

Mar 24, 2011
    The greatest thing about AOTC?

The END!!!!

Mod Edit: Yes, for your time here. :cool:

2. Duragizer

Duragizer Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2009
    The best thing about AOTC was that I had already seen Hayden before in other stuff, so I wasn't expecting anything stellar from him going into the movie.

3. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    How is that considered something from AotC?

4. d_arblay

d_arblay Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2005
    I saw him in Life As A House and (despite not enjoying much of the movie) thought he looked a good choice. I've since seen him in Shattered Glass and thought he was outstanding.

5. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    I seriously believe that Hayden' performance in both AOTC and ROTS was spectacular and greatly nuanced. :)

6. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I think Shattered Glass is the best thing he's done.

7. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    AotC is the episode that has been growing more and more on me lately, and I was reading some articles about the making-of, and found these pictures (which I've never seen before) that shows how "AotC is full of SFX":

[image=http://www.theasc.com/magazine/sep02/brave/images/image1.jpg]
    [image=http://www.theasc.com/magazine/sep02/brave/images/image3.jpg]
    [image=http://www.theasc.com/magazine/sep02/brave/images/image5.jpg]
    [image=http://www.theasc.com/magazine/sep02/brave/images/image6.jpg]
    [image=http://www.theasc.com/magazine/sep02/brave/images/image7.jpg]
    [image=http://www.theasc.com/magazine/sep02/brave/images/image9.jpg]
    [image=http://www.theasc.com/magazine/sep02/brave/images/image10.jpg]
    [image=http://www.theasc.com/magazine/sep02/brave/images/image11.jpg]

Count Yubnub likes this.
  8. TragicHeroLover132

TragicHeroLover132 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 24, 2010
    I loved Anakin's courtly and polite behavior towards Padme. People always accuse him of being "stalkerish" but he was far from it. When Padme told him that their relationship wouldn't work out, he conceded with her wishes. He also apologized every time when Padme tore away from his kisses. Nor did he force her to kiss her against her will. And he even called her "Mi'lady." It was also sweet when he told Padme to not be afraid when they were about to be executed.

9. Padmes_love_slave24

Padmes_love_slave24 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 24, 2003

Dude if you don't have anything constructive to add to the discussion why come in and add your nonsense to this thread? Also it is disrespectful, condescending and rude to many fans who enjoyed the movie, obviously it doesn't seem like you care because you only seem to be on the boards to get negative attention.

Now on to what I love about AOTC, I have stated this many times before and I don't care what anyone thinks I love the much maligned love story in AOTC and I think it is wonderful in every way. I love how the love story comes across as awkward because of both Padme and Anakin are inexperienced in relationships, the love is forbidden and that is why their is so much angst between both of them, and you can feel the angst with the dialogue. Does the audience honestly expect Anakin to be suave and Shakespearean when speaking to Padme when he hasn't seen her in ten years and all he has been doing was thinking about how much he loved her for those 10 years. Do people not understand how much both Anakin and Padme have to lose by falling in love, they can potentially ruin their careers, and logically as Padme says falling in love is something they should avoid, but you can't avoid love when they have such strong feelings even when you know it leads to disaster in the end. If you think the love story is cheesy and vomit inducing than I suggest you go look in the mirror, because I know when I was younger and first flirting with women my age it was very awkward and I had no idea how to speak with one my age, and it was the same thing with my peers. I don't care what anyone thinks I always felt Anakin & Padme made for a beautiful couple and I enjoyed their relationship being portrayed on screen and I felt heart broken seeing it fall apart at the end of Revenge of the Sith on Mustafar.

10. TragicHeroLover132

TragicHeroLover132 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 24, 2010
    I feel the same way. It's not Anakin and Padme's fault that they don't have good pick up lines. They both haven't had the chance to have relationships because of their careers, so it's understandable that their relationship was awkward at times. Also, I was sad too when I watched their relationship fall apart on Mutsafar---it was even more sad in the ROTS book. In it, Anakin and Padme kept on arguing. :(

11. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    ^^^ That is what people need to see more of IMO. For a movie that got so unfairly criticized (when it first came out) for having "too much" CGI that sure is a lot of miniatures -and of WHOLE SETS too. People who bash AOTC don't seem to realize that there was a big MIXTURE of special effects techniques used to make the movie, not JUST CGI. Whatever wasn't a set was a miniature, whatever wasn't a miniature was a matt painting and THEN came the CGI to fill in the blanks. Even some of the key buildings/locations on coruscant were miniatures that someone built but a lot of fans dont even know that.

I got a 52'' flat-screen HD tv and the two movies that still look the best on it are AOTC and ROTS. Its that way for a reason, AOTC is just a sharp movie when it comes to looks to this day and GL was right to film it digitally IMHO. I can only hope that when the blu-ray set comes out the outher 4 movies look HALF as good as these two. There, i said it lol [face_whistling]

12. Jedirockstar1138

Jedirockstar1138 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 4, 2011
    that still doesn't make up for the fact that it was terrible as far as plot and acting went. CGI aside it didn't keep anyone's interest. Least favorite of the 6 for me hands down.

13. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    It kept my attention. Speak for yourself.

14. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    The reason everyone DID pay attention to the plot and acting was because the plot was AWESOME. Its the MOST favorite of the 6 for me.

There was a sense of tension/mystery/impending doom to EVERY scene of the movie that wasn't balls to the wall epic/historic feeling action. If anything its the overall "coolest" feeling one of the whole saga.

Episode 1 had the hard job of setting up/establishing the characters and Episode 3 was the payoff film so because of this episode 2 is the one with the most breathing room for characters, sense of setting and plot by FAR! We are happy to see them again and reunited when they are introduced. The film begins with mystery, fades into tragedy/sense of loss and then ends with all the characters changed and in worse shape than when the film began. All on BOTH the personal level AND the bigger picture/galactic scale. Alll while still supplying GRAND SCALE swashbuckling action spaced throughout the film in the classic star wars way.

Thats one of the beautiful things about AOTC so as far as im concerned when it comes to that cheep, tired argument you gave my motto is as follows: if you don't like the characters then *YOU* don't like the characters. As for my experience there was a big sense of fanfare when Both Padme and Anakin & obi-wan were introduced and you could feel/hear it in every screening i went to (i went to 8 with 2 being IMAX). Heck Padme even gets a big reveal sequence driving/complementing the mystery aspect of the film and perfectly mirroring leia type heroics from the OT.

The general consensus is that obi-wan was the best in this movie out of the whole PT and IMO anakin gets a bad rap. I see anakin as the james dean/han solo/badass jedi type character of the movie. After AOTC came out all you ever saw anakin do in the EU was save the day against all odds through brute strength to spite the fact that everyone doesn't agree with his methods. There's a reason for that. Why? because thats what everyone remembers from AOTC. A badass.

In the words of Forrest Gump, thats all i have to say about that.

15. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    That's your opinion, not facts.

Source? Who are you to speak for everyone?

Padmes_love_slave24 likes this.
  16. shanerjedi

shanerjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2010

OMG Alexrd look at all of that CG Georgie used in the prequelzz! :eek:

In the upper right of the third picture down is Grant Imahara in his pre-Mythbusters days.

Edit

I will remind everyone that this is a place to discuss only those positive things about this film. If you wanna bash it, go in the numerous threads here and do it.

[face_peace]

17. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    George Luca$ is a CGI lover, don't you see???

/sarcasm

18. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Just to play Devil's Advocate here or advocatus diaboli...

People can still argue about the QUALITY of the model work and the QUALITY of the lighting and cinematography. I think a problem with AOTC and ROTS -- at least, in the context of what I'm saying -- is that they were shot digitally. High Definition video lacks the detail and the granulity of film. It also lacks jitter. These are the very things that imbue physical things with that seemingly-random quality of every-day life. Without them, you have eerily smooth, still surfaces and environs that can feel computer-generated even when they're not. It's an interesting phenomenon -- or set of phenomena -- actually.

But yeah... clearly, a lot of practical effects were still used on AOTC (and ROTS). Just as there was a lot of (subjectively-speaking now) good screen-writing, blocking, directing, acting and so on. However, subjective interpretations of these things can lead to dismissive stances on more objective matters. And despite my dislike of quote unquote "bashing", I do have a degree of sympathy for criticism and negative appraisals. A whole spectrum of issues can and do colour our perceptions. It is sometimes too simplistic to throw up some basic facts and take a "see, you're wrong!" approach.

19. SambX

SambX Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 14, 2011
    My favourite AOTC-scenes:

- Anakin's Search: No words, just music and visuals.
    - Shmi's Death: I thought it was very well acted, a bit contrived, but wonderful lightning and it leads to Anakin's first significant evilness.
    - Anakin's Confession: Very emotional and it perfectly distinguishes Anakin's charactersistics.
    - Shmi's Burial: Anakin versus Cliegg Lars -> brilliant
    - Obi-Wan's complete investigation on Kamino. Dark, dubious, sterile. A non-emotional contrast to the lovestory.

I actually even liked the lovestory because it was done much more realistic and less artificial than most movie loves.

20. Jedirockstar1138

Jedirockstar1138 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 4, 2011
    but....the "sand" scene was so horribly awkward. Just didn't seem convincing.

21. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Whilst AOTC is probably the weakest of the prequels it does have its moment. They are mainly:

The whole Anakin and his mother storyline, along with the actual death of his mother, the subsequent slaughter and the confession afterwards. Surely the most powerful portion of the film

Obi-Wan on Kamino and his meeting and fight with Jango

Everything to do with Count Dooku

Every scene with Palpatine

The final battle and seeing Mace and Yoda in action

The final scene with Dooku and Sidious. The music and setting gives me goosebumps every time. So disappointed we didn't see that location again in ROTS. I really thought we were going to

22. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I have to say the end of AOTC, with the clones marching, got me super hyped for ROTS. It left me wanting more.

There, I said something positive.

23. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    The aiwha.

24. d_arblay

d_arblay Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2005
    I think that was pretty much the point.

25. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    I'm not gonna lie, AotC is my least favourite of the six.
    Having said that, it has it's moments, and I would easily rank it higher than the average Hollywood movie.

Some of my favourite parts;
    -As has already been said, the storyline with Anakin's mother. The scene where he finds her is executed well. I like his acting here too. It is a very important part of the movie, the whole saga in fact. It has echoes throughout all the movies, some nice 'detailing' by Lucas.
    -Lines with double meanings; "I'd much rather dream about Padme." "Obi-Wan is gonna kill me."
    -I wish there was more from Palpatine/Sidious in this episode, but there is the ironic line to Padme "The thought of losing you... is unbearable".
    -The scene where they are brought into the Geonosis arena to be executed. The metaphor of the audience watching their demise, like us watching their tragic love story, quite depressing.
    -Some of the banter between Anakin and Obi-Wan. Not up to ROTS standard, but still. Lines such as "Where are you going?" "For a drink".

Probably more I can't think of atm

EDIT:
    -Oh yeah, the moment Obi-Wan leaps through the window to grab the probe droid. The Speeder chase scene isn't bad. A hint at Anakin's power as he drops from their speeder onto Zam's ship from a great distance.