main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I made that exact criticism back when TPM came out. I mean, it was very groundbreaking at the time. But I made the comment somewhere that I hated it as a movie, but it was a great demo reel. Of course, most demo reels aren't two and a half hours long. And there's a reason.

2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I agree wih solojones--PJ could have experimented with a personal project and mad the Hobbit match LOTR so they could flow together a little better as a series (at least, visually).

3. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    As much as its his vision as a director, it's not his writing nor his world. This isn't even like Avatar in that respect (which is just a demo reel, but at least just Cameron's own nonsense, so I don't care if he experiments with it). It belongs to a lot more people and certainly is beloved by millions of people. Messing with it for his own experiments just seems incredibly wrong.

4. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    Interview with Armitage at Cineplex.com. Perhaps old news to some, but still a nice interview, in which he provides some interesting insights into the character and the filming process.

One of my favourite quotes:
    And what is perhaps one of the most heartwarming moments:
    Cheers,
    Lauré :)

5. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
  6. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Thanks for responding to my post, Rachel. I'm not sure there's much to gain my me responding in kind, as we're fundamentally opposed on this issue. :p The only thing I'd specifically come back on is what you say about punters not knowing or caring what format they're watching. If people still go and see the film, and don't seem concerned about exposure to this unusual format... then isn't that a tacit acceptance of it? Or at least, a suggestion that people aren't picking and choosing. That it's not putting people off. Word would surely get around if HFR was that bad. I always thought commercial failure was the death knell of a new technology / risk. The film has done pretty well. :p Plus, give 'The Desolation of Smaug' a wider HFR release, narrow the options for those casual viewers, and a dislike of the format will either become clear or not.

It would be interesting to see HFR attendance figures versus regular 3D attendance figures.

7. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    box office mojo has the release date for Hobbit: There and Back Again as July 18, 2014. I don't know why I thought it was coming out in December, but I just assumed Jackson would need that full year of post production after Desolation of Smaug.

8. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Well, given they originally planned it to be just two movies, I assume that by the time they made the decision to split the Hobbit into three films, they already did some post production work on things that were originally in the first film, but then got moved to the second film (i.e. Mirkwood forest, Beorn, etc.). So it's possible that they saved time there.

9. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    you'd think they'd, like, space them sumbitches out, make more money & whatnot. i dunno

10. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Less time to wait, though! :D

11. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I just thought they planned to copy the pace of the original trilogy. Also, it's listed on the same day as X Men: Days of Future Past. There's no way in hell both those movies are opening on the same weekend.

12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Well they could combine XMen and Hobbit into one.

eht13 likes this.
  13. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    AUJ 'modern' trailer. Odd, but interesting. :p

!

14. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Love it. :D

Although there definitely should have been Ian Holm at the beginning.

I imagine it was quite a challenge finding clips for the less-known actors playing the Dwarves... :p I could see the author helped himself a little bit with the clips from the videoblogs... :p

15. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I'd honestly never heard of any of the Dwarves' actors besides Nesbitt and Brophy...and the latter only because he played various Orcs in the LOTR trilogy.

16. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    I knew those, too, and also Graham McTavish, because he played in Jekyll with James Nesbitt. And I recognised Aidan Turner as well, but I had never watched Being Human.

17. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I watched the Rankin-Bass cartoon last night just for nostalgia purposes. Gotta love this song!

Random Comments likes this.
  18. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I hated the way Bilbo was drawn in that.

19. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    How are you!

Seriously, the Hobbit lost out to Prometheus in the "most disappointing films of 2012" awards; narrowly beating the Hobbit was Dark Knight Rises. Skyfall, on the other hand, was awesome.

Richard Nixon Ender Sai's enemies list:

1) Jane Fonda
    2) Daniel Schorr
    3) Jack Anderson
    4) Jabbadabbado

20. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Then we agree on everything but that Skyfall part. We're so close. In your heart, you know that Bond depends on his villains. And Skyfall had one of the dumbest, least interesting villains in Bond history.

21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    After Colonel Moon, after Kamal Khan, after Draxberg... you call Silva all that?

For shame.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  22. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Point E_S. The Bond villain bar is very, very low.

23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Speaking of low... my expectations for the rest of these films.

24. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Oh yeah, Hobbit. We'll see. I'm actually modestly optimistic. The first movie borrowed at least some of its pacing problems from the book.

25. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Film > the book so far.

James Bond turns up in Middle Earth, what happens?

And the Skyfall villain was decent. I wonder, would he hit on Gandalf?