main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Hundred-Year Darkness and the resulting Sith Empire

Discussion in 'Literature' started by darklordoftech, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Hansa

Hansa Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2013
    Depends on the timeframe, I guess. During the golden age, Massassi would most likely be on guard alongside Tu'kata and other Sith abominations. Non-Force sensitives would be slaughtered quickly. During Exar Kun's time, when Korriban was abandoned, the undead and the beasts would be the danger. During the Great and Cold Wars... Imperial troops would shoot them down.

I like to think that if ultimately you didn't die by the beasts and other dangers, the Sith spirits would drive you insane. You'd be lost there forever and eventually die, probably from suicide or starvation.

darklordoftech likes this.
  2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    What do you mean by "insane"?

3. Hansa

Hansa Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2013
    I believe we've seen Sith spirits appearing before non-Force sensitives, and we've seen how dark siders often play with the minds of those beneath them. If bored enough, I'm pretty sure a Sith spirit would want to play tricks on an unlucky being, or enter their mind. Take Kotor and TOR as examples. In Kotor, a Sith student becomes insane from contact with Tulak Hord's artefacts. Mekel I believe he was called. In TOR, Imperial troopers, archeologists and grave robbers became possessed, others had extreme hallutinations -- just by being near the tomb of Marka Ragnos and the Dark Temple.

If being in mere contact with a place of great dark power can make you hallutinate for days or weeks, I imagine a Sith spirit could take that to a whole new level.

4. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    That's interesting. Btw, did you notice the rivalry between Ragnos and Vitiate throughout the Old Sith Wars?

5. Hansa

Hansa Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2013
    I read The Old Republic: Revan in 2011 only once, so not sure I captured that. Wasn't Vitiate given his name by Ragnos himself? Seemed more like allies than enemies... at least in the beginning.

Have you noticed any rivalry between the two? I'd love to explore that. :D

6. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    If you play as a Jedi Knight in TOR, you would find out that Vitiate plans to destroy the galaxy and that the Sith spirits hate him because of that. Ragnos didn't know that at the time that he appointed Vitiate. By the time he appointed Kun, Ragnos was against Vitiate, as Gnost-Dural realizes in the Kun timeline video.

It seems to me that Ragnos engineered the Great Sith War with the intention of destroying both Vitiate and the Republic. I'd be happy to demonstrate why I believe that Ragnos engineered the Great Sith War.

7. Hansa

Hansa Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2013
    Very interesting. I can definitely understand the other Sith's opposition to destroying the galaxy. They don't want to destroy it, they want to rule it. I have to start up a Jedi Knight and see that for myself.

I'll watch that video again now. :cool:

8. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Planet Hoppers ran a beautiful entry for Halloween that had fringe spacers crashing in Korriban and dying one by one. Pity the old WOTC site is down. Maybe in web.archive?

9. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Let me know what you think after watching it.

10. Hansa

Hansa Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2013
    I watched a few others as well to get something from them. Not much from the others, but some from the Journal of Gnost Dural from the Collector's Edition.

"The fact that the spirits of the ancient Sith Lords supported Exar Kun suggested that they did not -- or do not -- support the Sith Emperor we face today" -- the Kun video.

I have a thought.

The ancient Sith Lords supported Exar Kun for his efforts. He came to be admired by the Massassi by killing the Wyrm, gained the support of Freedon Nadd because he wasn't the (failed learners of the Krath) weak stock of the Jedi when Freedon Nadd had a mosoleum fall and break the bones of Kun on Korriban and began expanding the Sith philosophy by duelling and accepting a fellow Dark Jedi as his ally; his apprentice. I wonder though, did Ragnos and the other great Sith not care about bloodline, or was it the next best thing to Vitiate?

Vitiate on the other hand had no interest in expanding the Sith philosophy and help them survive. He cared only about himself, and the Sith society he created and helped unite and grow strong was only to gain revenge on the Jedi and the Republic for destroying his people, while he spent most of the time in solitude, meditating for an unknown power or knowledge the Empire did not know. The Sith spirits know, however, what he was planning.

All in all, I think Ragnos considered Exar Kun to be the best the Sith philosophy had to offer at this point. The best way to continue the culture, the magnificence and the power the Sith held dear. The real chance to rule something once more, perhaps greater than before. Vitiate however, was too selfish, which is a LOT to say for a Sith. He was concerned with nothing but himself. Traditional Sith culture says that you must focus first and foremost on yourself, but of course the Sith must survive. Without the galaxy, the Sith would cease to exist.

11. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    What does bloodline have to due with anything?

12. Hansa

Hansa Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2013
    The Sith are obsessed with it. Naga Sadow was obsessed with his near-pure "Jedi" bloodline, and Vitiate's Empire was obsessed with both Human and Sith bloodlines. The better your parents, the higher you could go. Exar Kun had no bloodline from the exiles or the Sith, he was only a Human Jedi. So I think the Sith spirits would not be so supportive of him by only being so powerful, but actually because he made the effort to make sure the Sith weren't forgotten or destroyed in the larger galaxy beyond Dromund Kaas.

13. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Perhaps Ragnos was more interested in ideology, culture, etc. than in bloodline. Remember that Ragnos is sane, unlike many other Sith.

14. Hansa

Hansa Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2013
    I agree.

In my opinion, Marka Ragnos is the ultimate Sith Lord aside from Plaguis and Palpatine. He ruled for a century, appointed Lords of the Sith and had a lavish funeral proceeded by the most powerful the Sith had to offer. And he returned later; if that is not eternal life, I don't know what is. If he had returned a 1000 years earlier and gathered a cult for that time, he would have been successful. He waited beyond Palpatine and the golden age of the Jedi, stayed silent for 5000 years and then returned when the New Republic was just making it's footmark in history. That is smart, and sane.

It seems that Ludo Kressh had similar thoughts to Ragnos, aside from his alcoholism. He was traditional, didn't want to invade the Republic and wanted to preserve the Sith culture in Sith space. And perhaps that is why the Kressh family became so hated by the Emperor, aside from his apprentice, as you can see in TOR.

15. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    We haven't seen the last of Ragnos. I promise you that.

16. Hansa

Hansa Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2013
    Oh my friend, I definitely hope so.

I can go on for hours why I think Ragnos is so amazing. Which is strange, because we only hear mentions here and there, appearances twice as a spirit and some talismans made by him -- but we have never seen Ragnos in person. He is so interesting, yet so very mysterious. You don't know much about him, but you know so much about him still. He is a Dark Lord of the Sith that remains much, much more mysterious than Boba Fett did in his early days, and that is perhaps why we love him so much. He is a legend -- a phantom -- a being we love without knowing him. Even in his old days, Boba Fett had a backstory. He was a bounty hunter who wore Mandalorian armour; the kind worn by the evil warriors the Jedi defeated during the Clone Wars. He became Boba Fett after being exiled from Concord Dawn, where he was a Journeyman Protector known as Jaster Mereel. That's it. We know Ragnos harvested force power from beings with his septre, that he championed the traditions of the Sith and he was an amazing swordman. But we have never even seen Marka Ragnos' power -- we've just heard about it.

It's amazing how we connect to these characters.

17. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Stop quoting each other :p

darthzac14 likes this.
  18. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Why? You should consider joining our conversation, Sinrebirth. I'm sure you have Ragnos theories. Don't you agree, Hansa?

19. Hansa

Hansa Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2013
    Oh definitely. (not quoting you, darklordoftech) [face_laugh]

20. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I want a Ragnos novel.

Hansa likes this.
  21. Hansa

Hansa Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2013
    What Sith fan doesn't?

22. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
  23. Hansa

Hansa Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2013
    Exactly right. Everyone wants to know about the Great Dark Lord of the Sith: Marka Ragnos. Same with Darth Bane. He got 3 novels, and before them he was just about well known as Marka Ragnos.

24. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Hansa, did you pick up on the fact that Sadow was Simus's apprentice and Kressh was Ragnos's apprentice?

25. LivingJediDream

LivingJediDream Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2010
    The reason why there isn't a Marka Ragnos novel is because he ruled over a static Sith empire that maintained status quo but had otherwise already conquered all of known space. He lived for over a century because the Sith empire was at peace and nothing interesting happened. That's why Naga Sadow was so radical, he wanted to expand the empire and invite conflict, from which the Sith had shied away.