main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Icons Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Design - Sites and Graphics' started by Grimby , Aug 22, 2009.

1. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    In this thread, we will discuss the creation of icons (or avatars, as they are called elsewhere).

NOTE: For questions, comments, submissions, or anything else directly related to JC icons, please post in the Official Icons Thread in Comms.

For starters, here are the specs of icons here on the JC:
    Icon Size
    Icons can be three sizes:
    - 50x50, Regular
    - 90x30, Tall
    - 30x90, Widescreen

Icon Format
    All icon submissions should be in .gif, .jpg, or .png image format.

Choosing A Format:
    GIF - Use gif format on images with a low number of colors. Things like 2D animation, comic book illustrations, and anime are perfect for the gif format.
    JPG - Use jpg format on images on images with a high number of colors. Examples include 3D or photorealistic animation and photographs.
    PNG - PNG can be an alternative for either of the above formats. The best reason to use PNG is for it's superior transparancy properties. Whereas gif images can have a single color set as transparent, PNG images have the ability to use variable transparency.

Icon makers, please share your tips and tricks to help us understand your superior ways!

2. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    One icon maker checking in! It's good to have this thread here; it should spread the word a little. :)

3. Ludo_Kressh

Ludo_Kressh Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2005
    And help a total newbie like me in making them:D

4. Manda_Jade

Manda_Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 19, 2006
    I'll be sure to keep my eye on this thread!

:D

5. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I'vev been meaning to get in here for over a week 8-} Hi, I'm Nat, and I'm the JC Icon Manager. As a little plug, the current JC icons thread is here is you're interested in checking it out. Like Grimby said, the sizes that the JC supportts are 50x50, 30x90 and 90x30.

If you're interested in becoming a JC icons maker with voting privileges, all you have to do is submit one icon in the thread and you're in!

We're also trying to put together a bunch of tricks and how-to guides, so if you want to contribute, please do!

If you don't want to or can't make icons but want to wear something that we don't have, just post a request in that thread and one of the icon makers can whip something up :)

If you have any questions, post here, post there, or PM me!

6. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    Yay for the icons! [face_dancing]

7. Mekairinek

Mekairinek Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 7, 2009
    Awwwwesome.

Th' name is Mek (don't even bother spelling the full name out. I've seen just about every misspelling of it ever) and I make icons on occasion.

I'll get a mini-tutorial up at some point too. This time, with pictures! *jazz hands*

8. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    I will be looking forward to that. :)

9. Ludo_Kressh

Jun 30, 2005
    That would be sweet...I've been trying to do what you posted in the other thread with varying degrees of success...pics would definitely give me a better reference.[face_peace]

And I wonder, does anyone else here use The GIMP or GIMP 2?

10. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I use GIMP 2.

11. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost star 5

Dec 15, 2002
    *raises hand*

I use GIMP 2, on Linux, on a Netbook, which has a 1024x600 px resolution.

12. Ludo_Kressh

Jun 30, 2005
    :D Here, I thought I was the only one for it seems everyone has PhotoShop(which I can't afford:() I've been finagaling around with various things and I even tried Mek's nice tutorial, but I guess GIMP doesn't have those 'fx' tools she was talking about and I used the paintbrush tool set on overlay with white as the background color and it sort of made a clear border. I don't know, I'll just have to keep plugging away at it.[face_peace]

13. Salty

Salty Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 24, 1998
    Making a Border

Photoshop

Select the Brush/Pencil tool
    Change size to 1px
    Select your color
    Hold SHIFT while making your line so it stays straight (left/right, up/down)