main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The JC Hogwarts House Cup: Version 13 - Game Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by Mara-Jade-Skywalker, Mar 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mara-Jade-Skywalker

Mara-Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 21, 2000
    Welcome to the Thirteenth JC Hogwarts House Cup! A few things out of the way first.

This game has moved to Census from JCC

So what exactly is this?
    This is a Harry Potter-based game that is intended for the Potter fans of the JC. If you do not like Harry Potter, please stay out of the signup or game threads unless it is to cheer on your friends or make a positive contribution of some sort. Trolls, spammers, and generally offensive posters in this thread will be promptly reported to a mod and dealt with as necessary. Consider this your warning if you?re thinking about trolling or spamming in this thread.

How does this game work?
    A list of tasks is below. Each House has the job of completing as many of those Tasks as it can. The Prefects are the only ones who can post completed Tasks in this thread for the completed Tasks to count. All completed Tasks should be posted all at once on the last update.

Can I become a Prefect?
    There will be 4 prefects per House - 3 'ordinary' prefects and 1 'head prefect.' The Head Prefect will be in charge of posting the final list of completed tasks whenever possible so that there can be less confusion about this. Prefects should also be returning members of their House (they must have played at least once before, though not necessarily in the most recent game) whenever possible. In the event that there aren't enough returning members for 4 Prefects, then first-time players may be elected prefects. However, the Head Prefect must be a returning member since they are, in effect, in charge of their House. No exceptions to this last rule.

Must I have read all the Harry Potter books to play?
    It's recommended, but it's not necessary. However, some knowledge, however rudimentary, of the Harry Potter world is a must. This is a Harry Potter game; don't think you can play if you know nothing about Harry Potter. You can, however, usually get buy if you've only seen the movies, but generally only in areas such as artwork and banner/icon making. The books are considered canon if there's a conflict between the books and movies (not that I forsee this being an issue). Please note that this game can and probably will contain spoilers about ANY of the books. If you do not wish to be spoiled, either do not play, or try to avoid any references to the next book.

What are the prizes
    Please note that you must contribute at least 65 points worth of tasks to your House's final total to receive relevant prizes should you win.

Winning Team
    1 week of House colors
    1 week of a title denoting that you won
    1 custom icon uploaded for a week for the team's use during this week

Head Boy/Girl
    1 week of House colors

2nd Place Head Boy/Girl

The Head Boy/Girl will be the member who contributed the most points worth of Tasks, and does not necessarily have to be from the winning House team. To determine who is Head Boy/Girl, authorship of Tasks must be indicated when they are posted by a Prefect (at the end of the Task simply write 'By [username here]' or some variant of that). I will tally how many points each member contributed and announce the Head Boy/Girl at the same time that I will announce the winning team. If two people work on the same task, they will each get the full amount of the points added into their total (unless it?s specified how the work is split up), but the points will only get added into the House total once.

Who?s scoring?
    I'm scoring. I'm going to follow tradition and use EXCEL on the final update so the only chance of mis-scoring will be if I type the wrong numbers in. You're free to keep your own EXCEL worksheet to check. I'm not knowingly trying to cheat you out of points and if you think I made a mistake, let me know. However, also know that some tasks won't get full credit if they're not done well.

In addition, to avoid the scoring issues that followed the previous game, I've a

2. Mara-Jade-Skywalker

Aug 21, 2000
    Task List version 13
    Sections:
    1. Books
    2. Movies
    3. Things to Come
    4. Things that Were
    5. House Pride
    6. Humor
    7. The Creative Spirit
    8. The Artistic Spirit
    9. The Literary Spirit
    10. The Musical Spirit
    11. The Quidditch Spirit
    12. Absolutely Random

So I got rid of most of the ?criteria? part of the task list because it?s long, boring, and no one reads it. Just don?t submit crap and you?ll be fine. k?

Head Boy/Girl Competition
    Authorship of Tasks must be posted so that it may be determined who is the Head Boy or Girl. Simply add 'By [username here]' after each completed Task and I will add up how many points each member has contributed. The Head Boy or Girl will be announced at the same time as the winning House is, and this person will receive the title "Head Boy/Girl" (or whatever will fit in their title) for the week that the winning House has their colors. The Head Boy/Girl does not necessarily have to be from the winning house.
    Repeat Tasks
    If a non-repeatable task is done by more than one person, or if the limit on completed tasks is exceeded, then the first response/the number of the limit will be the amount of points counted into the House's total. However, each member will receive personal points toward the Head Boy/Girl competition for all tasks completed. Please don't abuse this to attempt to be Head Boy/Girl. If people do abuse this, I'll know since it will be pretty obvious and I'll make it so that repeat tasks/tasks over the limits won't count for anything at all. Non-repeatable tasks should not have repeats in the first place, but I will allow them without complaint as long as each separate response represents a different idea or viewpoint and you don't exceed 2 per task.
    Posting Updates
    The Head Prefect of each House should post the cumulative Final Task update unless they are not available, in which case another prefect should post them and make note of this fact. Any prefect can post the weekly updates, but please try to format them nicely so it takes me less time to add up points. If you put everything in the order it is on the Task List, or at least organized into categories, it helps everything go a lot faster for me.

NOTE: Check sources such as www.jkrowling.com for debunked rumors and such. I?ll have a mini-spaz attack if you don?t.

Books
    Describe the magical properties of any potions ingredient or other object in the HP-verse. May do up to 10 and may make up magical properties as desired. 5 points.

Will knowledge of the Wizarding world become common among Muggles at some point? Why or why not? 5 points

How exactly does one send a Howler? Does one write or record it? 5 points.

What exactly happened to Umbridge in the forest in OOTP? Please remember that these boards are PG. :p 5 points.

Can one be an Animagus and a werewolf at the same time? Why or why not? 10 points.

Give a quote from any of the books that is so integral to the plot that taking it out would make the books no longer be the same? Explain the reasoning behind your choice. 10 points.

Discuss the significance of any character?s name and how it relates to their character and personality and/or what happens to them throughout the books. May do up to 3. 10 points.

What would have happened if Slughorn had given the Potions Book to Ron in HBP? 10 points.

What would have happened if Harry hadn?t touched the Triwizard Cup in Goblet of Fire? For example, what if Fleur or Krum had reached it first? 10 points.

Name all of Voldemort?s Horcruxes and where they are/were located. Some of these are given in the books and some should be guessed. 25 points.

Movies
    What scenes might be omitted from the HBP movie? Why would they be omitted? May do up to 3. 10 points.

Choose a character from any of the HP movies and describe how the actor cast for the role was good and/or bad in the film. May do up to 7. 10 points.

What are some deleted scenes on the Goblet of Fire DVD or from the book that you think should ha

3. CodeName_Targeter

CodeName_Targeter Jedi Master star 5

Nov 7, 2003
    Yay for task list! :p

4. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    And which one is the UNLIMITED TASK ;) [face_devil]

5. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    The tasks are here! :D

And there was much rejoicing. [face_dancing]

6. ShasaWaterwalker

ShasaWaterwalker Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    woa... tasks...

Wahoo!

7. AmberStarbright

AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master star 7

Dec 20, 2002
    That there was. I was about to send out the killer white rabbit :p

8. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    The list is crazy because Nicky was desperate enough to ask Ravenclaw for help. :p

9. Mara-Jade-Skywalker

Aug 21, 2000
    Run away! Run away! :p

Unlimited task hint: It's in Absolutely Random. :p

EDIT: Pffft to Yubs...

10. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Sadly, the Tree task is not the unlimited! :_| :_|

11. Jaina Byrd

Jaina Byrd Jedi Master star 4

Feb 21, 1999
    Hmm, I don't think that 50x60 is allowed here on the JC for icons. I could be wrong, but it's usually only 50x50, 90x30, and 30x90. :)

12. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Nope, icons can only be 50x50, 90x30, and 30x90.

13. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    Aaaaaannnd we're off!

I wonder how many points I'll lose, due to this being my first game :p

14. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I see the forum today and this thread. Weee. :p

15. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Shall I PM all Hufflepuffers to tell them that the game has started?

16. Jedi_Whispers

Jedi_Whispers Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 22, 2004
    It would be a good idea, just in case they didn't see the thread.

17. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. It was obvious the game thread was to be posted in here and the other thread is now locked so. That only happens when the game has started.

18. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Mar and Cobra together in one house???

Nicky, be prepared for a LOT of Monty Python jokes. :p

19. Cobranaconda

Mar 3, 2004
    :D

Hehe, don't forget Jenn, she has some too :p

20. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    All of you guys defect to Slytherclaw, and we'll have the most insane house in the world!! [face_devil]

21. Cobranaconda

Mar 3, 2004
    I don't know, this is my first game, and the "Traitors" are getting defaced on the Slytherin site :p

22. Mara-Jade-Skywalker

Aug 21, 2000
    [face_laugh]

Hey, what did you expect? Slytherins don't enjoy having people defect. :p

About the icons: I think 50x60 was once a valid icon size, but I don't think it is anymore. Maybe it was only for prefect icons that wouldn't get uploaded. Either way, don't do a 50x60 one if you want it uploaded. :p I mean, you can do any standard size you want for the ones that you WOULDN'T want uploaded, but there needs to be at least one that fits JC specifications.

23. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Indeed. I seem to remember making a group for Traitors and branding each one who switched as a traitor. Also had ones for members that joined but never once contributed. :p

Go Slytherin! I hope to join you guys again next game perhaps.

24. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Am I seriously getting pwned over there? :( :p

25. CodeName_Targeter

CodeName_Targeter Jedi Master star 5

Nov 7, 2003
    I totally did not get snarky in the header. I have NOOOOOOOOO clue what you people are talking about. O:)

Hehe, YM, I have a lot of fun with those groups at the end and begining of games.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.