main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"The Last Command," by Timothy Zahn [Bantam, 1993]

Discussion in 'Archive: Literature Review Forum' started by Kadue, Feb 7, 2003.

?

"The Last Command," by Timothy Zahn [Bantam, 1993]

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
  1. 10 (Excellent)

70.5%
  2. 9

11.5%
  3. 8

4.0%
  4. 7

4.5%
  5. 6 (Average)

2.5%
  6. 5 (Average)

1.5%
  7. 4

1.0%
  8. 3

1.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1 (Poor)

3.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IG-82

IG-82 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 26, 2003
    I liked the series as a whole, but Thrawn's end was just too sudden, IMO. The only other gripe I have is that Thrawn just seemed <i>too</i> intelligent. I mean, his instincts were dead on like every time. I suppose Delta Source played a part in that, but it got irritating!

2. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    I was a bit harsh on this book in the beginning. This trilogy was my first introduction into the EU. After reading the following novels (KJA stuff and some NJO) I have to look back on this and remember what an excellent novel. A high point of SW EU.

I give it a 9
    I think it is not as good at the first two but still an excellent read.

-Seldon

3. Cloned_Sidious

Cloned_Sidious Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 14, 2004
    One of the bests.

4. JediPadmeLightside

JediPadmeLightside Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 16, 2005
    I thought this book was very good, out of the trilogy it was in. The Timothy Zahn trilogy was one of the first books a read back in the mid 1990's.

5. DarthAJ

DarthAJ Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 9, 2004

Very good, but not as good as HTTE and DFR. The end seemed very rushed and Thrawn's demise was good, but not really that great. And I wish Zahn would've wrote the Space battle at Bilbringri. It bugged me soo much. I actually loved Mara while others didn't like her so much. Still a MUST read. These are the closest we're going to get to 7,8,and 9.

6. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    I read the Thrawn trilogy out of order. I started with Dark Force Rising, then Last Command, then Heir to the Empire. I loved Last Command. Mara fullfilling Palpatine's last wish was done very well.

7. DarkJedi_07

DarkJedi_07 Jedi Youngling

Jul 28, 2005
    Hey guys, it's my first post. Just finished the Thrawn Trilogy, great stuff i must sayy. The irony of Mara killing Lukes clone is amazing, and Thrawn's death, while sudden is still cool as hell. Props to Tim the man Zahn and I cant wait for Outbound Flight.

8. padawanlissa

padawanlissa Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    A great book!

9. EBSaints

EBSaints Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 29, 2002
    9/10

I think the series lost some momentum toward the end and dragged on a bit, but still one of the best EU series out there.

10. celestia

celestia Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    I gave it a 10. I loved it...I love everything I've read that Zahn has written. The whole series was great.

11. Lady_Kenobi84

Lady_Kenobi84 Jedi Youngling

Jun 20, 2005
    I gave it a 10/10! I really liked it. A great ending to a great trilogy!

12. Qui-Gon-Matt

Qui-Gon-Matt Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2005

A great trilogy. It's one of the only sets of books that would make a great trilogy of movies. Very true to the characters, and the pace is wonderful throughout.

13. Darth_Plageus09

Darth_Plageus09 Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2005

i agree the ending was rushed it seemed caompared to the other 2 but frakin antatsic all together, ecspecialy co pared to the JTA im reading now..ZAHn WOOPS up on KJA's stuff!! cant wait for outbound flight!

14. DeltaVX

DeltaVX Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 28, 2005
    I really enjoyed it. My two fav parts are when Mara learns the truth of Luke and Vader being son and father. And I was did wonder what happened to Luke's old lightsaber. (I had a feeling Luke would give it to Mara) Plus I thought it opened the door for new books.

15. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey

Obese_1_Ka-Blooey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2006
    this was a great way to finish the thrawn trilogy. 10

16. Master_EdgeCrusher

Master_EdgeCrusher Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 21, 2005
    a thrilling end to another exceelent tilogy. There is too much to say, unless a kabillion threads are made!!!

17. 1_4_Jedi

1_4_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 13, 2006
    9.5/10

OK, by this time I am an honorary Zahn fanboy. I thought that Thrawn went out in the only way he could - quickly & unexpected, dispatched by his most trusted bodygaurd. No way he saw that coming, and it seemes like the one thing that he missed was ultimately the one thing that did him in.
    Luke & Co. working together against that crackpot C'baoth was epic, but I agree that Mara should have only been responsible for eliminating Luuke and the real Luke and/or Leia could have played a larger role in the final confrontation. I would have preferred it if Luke had given Anakin's saber to Leia, to give her a way to identify with Anakin and as a symbol of the good man who was her father. I mean, sure, Mara was a hottie and helped out Luke when he needed it in spite of her past, but c'mon, giving her his father's lightsaber? His first saber? Not on the first date, sweetheart.
    I suppose the book was a bit predictable, but the whole series was so well written and the plot so thoroughly presented that I didn't mind too much. So many great new characteres that are more than just props were introduced thoughout the series, which gives the EU the kickstart it needed to generate more new SW lierature.

18. JediStarKiller2

JediStarKiller2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 5, 2006
    I just finished it last night and it was amazingly well done...The ending was great...Luke sometimes seemed a bit out of character...but the whole trilogy and this book was excellent...10/10.

The loved the final confrontation with Mara and the clone...as well as when Ruhk kills Thrawn and when Mara first learns Luke is the son of Vader. Those parts gave me goosebumps.

19. JainaRox

JainaRox Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2006
    This a very well written novel and alaso gets very emotional and expands on the character Winter!! Leaves Rogue Squadron hanging.

20. Jamiebacca

Jamiebacca Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    The Thrawn trilogy are the most over-rated bunch of books in the EU.

Luke fighting a clone of himself... I thought this was bad in 1993, and I think its laughable now.
    THough these aren't the WORST books in the EU, I'm still convinced that they got their legendary status simply because of their release dates.

21. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I loved this trilogy and the former two get 10's from me....but that Luke clone was just a horrid idea. It needs to be said.

9/10

22. TK421124KT

TK421124KT Jedi Master

May 21, 2007
    Yeah, pretty much.

23. Mara_Man

Mara_Man Jedi Youngling

Jun 21, 2007
    9/10.

As a huge Mara Jade fan, this trilogy should probably be my Bible. I love, love, love her and I love her interactions with Luke, especially when she starts to loosen up there at the end. The pulse-pounding climax where Mara and Luke face off against Joruus and Luuke is great too, although I kind've wish that Leia, Han, and Talon hadn't of shown up.

I also enjoyed the extra prominence they gave to Winter in this. I think Winter is a pretty intriguing character and I enjoy her interactions with Leia in addition to Leia's interaction with the Noghri.

All-in-all, I enjoyed this book immensely; the only criticism I can give is that sometimes Thrawn seemed a bit too all-knowing. I didn't really get how he could've known that the Tangrene business was just a set-up by the Rebellion and that they were really going to go after the Bilbringi shipyards. Also, the ending seemed a bit rushed to me. I think a man like Thrawn, who'd been such a huge thorn in the New Republic's side, didn't go out quite in the manner he deserved. He deserved to be killed by Rukh after the subjugation the Empire put the Noghri through, but I guess I just expected more.

But it was great!

24. Connerjade

Connerjade Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 2, 2007
    I love Thrawn, and love his general character make-up. I am perfectly fine with Luke's inaction because it flows as a story. While I admit the story is jerky at the end, it was (sadly) a copy of Foundation and Empire, the perfect general cannot be defeated in battle, so, win another way.

25. Ki-Adi-Mundi_fan

Ki-Adi-Mundi_fan Jedi Master star 3

Jun 7, 2005
    Zahn did an amazing job with TTT. The Last Command was awesome, I love all the new characters he created, especially Thrawn. I think the best thing about The Last Command is how well Zahn explains his characters and their motivations, it makes them feel real. Great base for all the EU books that would come after it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.