main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends The Life of the Party--JA Qui/Obi (humor/mush)--author replies and thanks 11/04

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Bastet, Oct 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    Alright, this was going to be a vignette, but it?s getting rather long, so I decided to do it in two or three posts. Probably two.
    Anyway, I found this bunny hopping around the bottom of my bunny-well the other day, just waiting for me to notice it. It might not be a very original idea, but hopefully it?s still enjoyable.

Title: The Life of the Party
    Author: Bastet
    Timeframe: After JA 8, Obi is 13
    Genre: Random fluffy humorous mushiness- with a small side order of slight angst and a very light sprinkling of Obi-torture for garnish. Mmm?yummy! =P~
    Summary: Obi-Wan suffers some humiliation, Qui-Gon is sympathetic. (And amused.)
    Notes: This stems from the paragraph is JA #9, page 8, where it talks about how Qui and Obi had spent the last few months repairing their ties as Master and Padawan, while, (or after?), Obi was on probation for all that stuff in books #5 and #6.
    ?They had spent much time at the Temple, and also had roamed the galaxy together, observing other worlds and customs?? This story is what happened on one such world.
    Disclaimer: George Lucas and company own Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, and the GFFA; Jude Watson and Scholastic own the JA books.

===================================================================================================

The Life of the Party

Obi-Wan Kenobi woke slowly, groggily. And then a moment later he was fervently wishing that he hadn?t. ?Ohhhhh,? he groaned, putting a shaky hand up to his head. Perhaps to make sure it was still in one piece, because it felt like it was splitting in two. The young Jedi had never had such a horrible headache before. At least, he didn?t believe he had, it hurt too much to think clearly right now.

Obi-Wan slowly opened his eyes, or at least he tried to. The small amount of light in his room caused a stabbing pain to shoot through his already horribly aching head. ?Oooohhhhh, owwww,? he moaned as he closed his eyes against the light, hoping he?d never have to do that again.

After that, Obi-Wan just lay there in his bed, waiting for the stabbing pain to subside back into the barely manageable ache it had been earlier. It took a long time. And soon the boy was contending with another problem: he was starting to feel nauseous. He bit his tongue and took deep breaths in an effort to keep himself from being sick all over everything.

Ohhh, I think I must be dying, Obi-Wan thought miserably. Headache?nausea? it must be Drebedian Flu. Soon he would break out into a cold-sweat, a precursor to the horribly high fever soon to follow. And his debilitatingly-achy limbs would not be able to support him, his Master would have to carry him to the healers. Wait a minute, his clouded mind suddenly realized, my limbs aren?t aching that badly. And, as Obi-Wan fuzzily recalled, with Drebedian Flu, aching limbs was the first symptom, the headache and nausea came later. So? he tried to reason out, if my limbs aren?t already hurting so bad I?d barely be able to move them by now, then, then? I must not have Drebedian Flu?

Momentary relief washed over the young Jedi at the realization that he didn?t have that 50% fatality-rate illness, but it was short-lived. He didn?t have Drebedian Flu, but he did have something. And, if the way he was feeling was any indication, it had to be something horrible.

Obi-Wan decided to take stock of his symptoms, the better to diagnose his illness. He had a very bad headache, of course. And a stomach ache that was making him feel nauseous. He was also feeling a bit of an ache in his muscles, though nothing bad, thank the Force. He also felt inordinately tired for having just woken up. Fatigue. And his mouth was dry. Thirst. Obi-Wan suddenly remembered how shaky his arm had been as he brought it up to his head earlier. Tremors and weakness. Oh, and lets not forget sensitivity to light, the boy belatedly remembered. And probably sound too.

Obi-Wan att

2. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Can't wait for the rest of the story. You tell a good story. Applause.

3. Jedi_Tigris

Jedi_Tigris Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    [face_laugh] Ooh, poor Obi-Wan, I can just imagine that being the first time for him, and thinking up all these horrible things that might be the problem and what he had done. So sweet how Qui is taking care of him. [face_love] Can't wait to hear what Obi did the night before. [face_batting] Nice beginning, can't wait for the rest!

If you send pms, I'd like to get them when you update. :)

4. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    [face_laugh] [face_love] Oh, poor, poor Obi-Wan! I feel bad for him, even as I can't help grinning. I love how gentle Qui-Gon is being, despite his amusement. I hope Obi-Wan won't be too horribly embarrassed. Can't wait for the rest of the story!

5. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

I could imagine Qui-Gon chuckling
    to himself
    at Obi's situation, if he hadn't caused
    it himself.[face_laugh]

Poor Obi and only thirteen, he wouldn't know
    what hit him.
    lovely piece a nice bit of fluff mixed with a bit of
    what we LOVE most obi angst.:D

6. PadawanKaterina

PadawanKaterina Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 1, 2005
    Ah man, poor Obi... [face_laugh] I'm with Qui-Gon. I'd be cracking up if I was there. I'm cracking up here, so... Right. Anyway...

You have a way with words. I really like your writing style. Amazing. Bravo.

PLEASE do more soon!

7. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Oh, poor Obi-Wan.

Singing and dancing were bad enough but to have the ah, ladies from the King's harem come check up on him! He'll never be able to show his face again

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Very funny!

=D= =D= =D= =D=

8. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    This is great! I love Obi and Qui together...can't wait for the rest!

9. LilQui-Gon

LilQui-Gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 29, 2004
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] I hope Obi won't be too embarassed. Nice job.

10. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    LOL! I had an inkling that it wasn't any sort of flu the more Ob-Wan complained. So he was the life of the party? Too funny.

Excellent start Bastet.

11. hyperspace_police

hyperspace_police Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2005
    Loved this little story, at least the beginning of it...:)
    Keep up the good work.=D=
    Can't wait to hear the rest.[face_cowboy]

12. DriftingThread

DriftingThread Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 21, 2005
    [face_laugh] Oh I can't stop laughing...this is just too good.
    Post soon, post soon I demand of thee!=D=

13. Stella_Ripple

Stella_Ripple Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 29, 2005
    One word:Hilarious! [face_laugh]
    I loved the way Obi jumped to drastic conclusions! And Qui all guilty/amused. Some good interactions- hope we see more soon!

14. Bastet

Dec 30, 1999
    Wow, such great replies! You guys are spoiling me, I love it! :D [:D]

I don't have the rest of this quite ready yet, but almost. And it's currently twice as long as the first post, but there's no good place to cut it in half, so I'm going to post the rest of it at once. I just hope the longness of it doesn't bore people too much. I decided to do replies before I finish the story and go back and proof read. It should be ready in a couple hours.

Valairy Scot- Can't wait for the rest of the story. You tell a good story. Applause. Aww, thank you! [face_love] I'm glad you're enjoying my story!

Jedi Tigris- So sweet how Qui is taking care of him. I like it when Qui is a big softie. [face_love] Nice beginning, can't wait for the rest! Thanks for reading, the rest is coming soon! :D

maychorian- Oh, poor, poor Obi-Wan! I feel bad for him, even as I can't help grinning. :D Indeed. We all love to find new ways to torture poor Obi, is so much fun, isn't it? ;) I hope Obi-Wan won't be too horribly embarrassed. Me too. ;) Thank you!

Gkilkenny- Lovely piece a nice bit of fluff mixed with a bit of what we LOVE most obi angst. Yes, we do! It helps make my world go around, anyway... [face_love] Thanks for reading!

PadawanKaterina- You have a way with words. I really like your writing style. Amazing. Bravo. Aww, I'm blushing! [face_blush] Thanks for such a nice compliment! I'm so glad you like the way I write, I'm always afraid I'm being too wordy. PLEASE do more soon! I hope this will be soon enough for you! Thanks so much for reading! :D

KELIA- Very funny! Glad you're enjoying it! [face_love]

Kestrel Kenobi- This is great! I love Obi and Qui together...can't wait for the rest! [face_love] Obi/Qui are my favorite kind of stories to write. (And read, of course). Glad you like it too!

LilQui-Gon- I hope Obi won't be too embarassed. Nice job. Don't worry, Obi will get over it. ;) Thanks for reading!

Healer Leona- So he was the life of the party? Too funny. Yep, you guessed it! :) I'm glad you're enjoying this so far!

hyperspace police- Loved this little story, at least the beginning of it... Thank you! I hope you like the rest too! :)

DriftingThread- Oh I can't stop laughing...this is just too good. Aww, thanks! :D I'm glad so many of you thought this was funny. Post soon, post soon I demand of thee! Yes, ma'am! ;)

Stella Ripple- Some good interactions- hope we see more soon! Aww, thank you! [face_blush] More coming soon!

15. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    How did I miss this earlier! I loved it! It had both [face_laugh] and [face_love]

Bravo on a job well done! =D=

16. Bastet

Dec 30, 1999
    Hey, another review! :D Thanks for reading, VaderLVR64! I'm glad you're liking my story!

17. Bastet

Dec 30, 1999
    Okay, so apperently the rest of my story, which is 17 pages, is too long for one post, I guess, so now I'll have to break it up into two posts anyway! I'll just post them one after another so they can be read continuously.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

?And to the health and prosperity of His Royal Higness, Prince Jamur of Halka province!? King Faddi proclaimed. Everyone raised their glasses again.

?His Royal Highness!?

?And to the health and prosperity of His Most High Excellence, Ambassador Samad of Tandor province!?

?His Most High Excellence!?

?And to the health and prosperity of His Illustriousness, Senator Karunna of Valla!?

?His Illustriousness!?

It had been going on like this for almost an hour already. Qui-Gon had a feeling they would be toasting every last person attending the feast before the night was over. Everyone around him was taking rather large gulps of the Toolian mead they had served with every toast, but he was being more cautious. The last thing he wanted was to get intoxicated, so he was taking the most minimum of sips he could manage.

Qui-Gon looked over to see how his Padawan was faring. He had looked bored earlier, eager to get the toasting over with. But now, he noticed that the boy had relaxed considerably, a smile on his face now instead of a scowl. Good, he thought, Obi-Wan is getting better at living in the moment, isn?t he?

Another toast was made, this time to Her Highness, Princess Tayida of Bezzala Province. Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon noticed, was rather enjoying his drink. He took a large gulp, then blew his breath out in satisfaction. ?Master, this fruit juice you got me is really good,? he said enthusiastically. ?I?ve never had anything quite like it before.?

?I?m glad you like it, Padawan,? Qui-Gon said, turning his attention back to King Faddi as Obi-Wan reached for the large bottle the cook had left him to refill his glass with. A bottle of Toolian mead sat in front of Qui-Gon for the same purpose, but he hadn?t used it yet. All the bottles around him, though, weren?t more than half full by now. The toasting was obviously everyone?s favorite part of the feast.

?And to the health and prosperity of His Honorableness, High Judge Hania of Kelta Province!?

?His Honorableness!?

?And to the health and prosperity of Her Graciousness, Duchess Stalla of Bezzala Province!?

?Her Graciousness!?

?And to the health and prosperity of Their Noblenesses, Jedi Master Jinn and his apprentice, Padawan Kenobi!?

?Their Noblenesses!?

Obi-Wan suddenly giggled. Qui-Gon turned to him in surprise. ?What?s so funny, Padawan?? he asked.

The young Jedi giggled some more. ?I was just wondering,? he said with an impish grin, ?if it?s appropriate to toast one?s own self or not.? He shrugged with yet another uncharacteristic giggle. ?I say it is!? He downed the rest of his glass in one gulp, then blew out his breath again. ?Woooo! Great stuff!?

A funny feeling had crept over Qui-Gon as he observed his Padawan?s behavior. The boy was acting?strange. Obi-Wan, oblivious to his Master?s scrutiny, reached for his bottle again, which was now less than half full. He tipped it over to fill his glass, but ended up pouring the contents on the table instead. This elicited another giggle from the young Jedi.

?And to the health and prosperity of Their Industriousnesses, the royal gardeners Sir Beyla, Sir Tiama, Sir Yado, and Madam Ferra!?

?Their Industriousnesses!?

Giving up his effort to pour his drink into his glass, Obi-Wan raised the bottle instead. ?Their Industrious?ness?ses?sus,? he slurred as he brought the bottle to his mouth. But Qui-Gon had seen enough. Before anymore of that drink could get past his Padawan?s lips, he snatched the bottle from the boy?s hands. ?Hey, Master!? he yelped indignantly, ?I gotta toast the gardeners!? He suddenly giggled again, pointing to a bush behind them pruned into the shape of a woman. ?They do great work!?

Qui-

18. Bastet

Dec 30, 1999
    Against his better judgment, Qui-Gon once again allowed the princess to pull him along. Looking back over his shoulder right before they passed through the doors, he saw that his Padawan was now swinging two bras over his head. The black lacy one, and a new gold-sequined number. Qui-Gon winced yet again. Oh, Force. And as they headed up the stairs inside, he thought I?m going to regret this. But then he had another thought as they stepped onto the second floor landing, a much more poignant thought. Obi-Wan is going to regret this the most. A fresh stab of guilt went through the Jedi Master. What was he doing? Letting his normally so quiet and reserved Padawan make a spectacle of himself like that?

Qui-Gon stopped, and was just opening his mouth to apologize to the princess that he really must be going, when she threw open the set of double doors in front of him with a flourish. The big Jedi instantly forgot himself as he gasped in wonderment. She hadn?t been exaggerating, had she? Ancient weapons of every size and description glittered in cases arranged on tables, hung gleaming along walls, and shined from pedestals lined up on shelves.

?Come in, come in!? Prince Tarril said excitedly from his place in the middle of the room. ?Let me just unlock this last case here?there!? He smiled broadly at Qui-Gon as the big Jedi walked dazedly into the room. ?Take a look at this,? he said breathlessly, opening the case he had just unlocked and taking out a very glittery weapon. Qui-Gon recognized it as the diamond-bladed Agantha dagger the princess had mentioned. He had never seen anything like it, a truly beautiful weapon that was worth more than a small planet.

?Amazing,? Qui-Gon whispered appreciatively.

?Here, take it,? the prince said with a smile. ?Feel the power. You can feel it, can?t you??

The Jedi Master nodded absently, lost in the glittery depths of the bluish crystal blade. ?How did you get this?? he asked after a moment.

?Ah, that?s rather a long story,? the prince said with a grin. ?It?s a brilliant one, but if I told you, we?d be here all night!? He placed the dagger back in the case, and they moved on to a pair of 1300-year-old Stollan rapiers.

As they moved from weapon to weapon, Qui-Gon started feeling a little regretful. Obi-Wan should be here, he thought, he would love this even more than I do. But then reality caught back up with him, and he cringed inwardly. I doubt the Prince would appreciate a drunken teenager amidst his priceless collection, however.

A large window in the room overlooking the post-feast party was standing open, allowing Qui-Gon could see and hear everything that went on below as they went through the prince?s collection. He could still see his apprentice, and it appeared that Obi-Wan was now leading a large group in a rather bizarre dance that sort of resembled a first-form kata crossed with a vigorous Saltare jig. At least he was no longer swinging those bras over his head.

The prince now showed Qui-Gon a thousand year-old Bejalan wheel-blade, still with its horkus-wood handle intact. Very impressive. And next came an antique Verpine vibroblade, one of the earliest prototypes of that weapon.

Hearing a lull in the music, Qui-Gon glanced back outside, and saw that the crowd had shifted so that his apprentice was no longer visible. Perhaps that was a good thing. As he watched, several people lifted something up onto a table near the band. And with a start, he realized that that something was Obi-Wan. What in the Force?

Someone handed Obi-Wan something long and silver, and, as the boy put it to his mouth, Qui-Gon realized it was a voice amplification device connected to the band?s loudspeakers.

?Hello, everyone!? Obi-Wan?s young voice rang out.

Qui-Gon heard several shouts of ?Hello!? and ?Woooo!? in answer.

Satisfied, his Padawan continued. ?Thank you all for inviting me and my Master to your feast today!? More cheers. ?What a lovely planet this

19. Bastet

Dec 30, 1999
    They were now outside again. The prince bid Qui-Gon farewell with a handshake, then moved off into the crowd. The big Jedi was about to do the same when King Faddi, laughing merrily, came up to him and threw his arm around him.

?Wonderful boy you have there, Master Jinn,? he enthused. ?We should make him the lead in tomorrow night?s celebration choir, he has such a wonderful voice!?

?Well, uhh?? Qui-Gon mumbled, but the king only laughed harder. The crowd was shouting for Obi-Wan to sing some more, confirming his belief that they really couldn?t get enough of his Padawan. And so Obi-Wan started another song, obviously another one he had made up.

?And Master Qui-Gon is a great Master!
    The best! No one is faster!
    Or smarter! Or braver! Or greater!
    He?s my Master?my great, great Masterrrrr!?

The band was going to have a difficult time with this one, Obi-Wan kept changing tunes with every sentence.

?Yes, a very great Master Qui-Gon is!
    But he has a bad Padawan, I fear.
    And that Padawan is me, bad bad me!
    I?m a bad Padawan, I am?bad bad?baaaad!?

Qui-Gon cringed. He had to get Obi-Wan now, before he said something he would regret. The boy was so far gone now that he wasn?t even trying to rhyme anymore. He was swaying heavily on his feet, looking as if he would keel over any minute now.

?I?m sorry, Your Majesty, but I really need to get my apprentice, if you?ll excuse me??

The King only laughed harder. Qui-Gon waded quickly into the crowd, shoving people aside and not caring.

?Bad bad bad bad bad Paadaaawaaaaaan!
    But I love my Maaassstterrrrr,
    Oh so muuuch??

?Oh, he?s sooo adorable!? Qui-Gon heard a female voice say nearby as he elbowed his way through a group of harem women.

?Hands off, Jarya, he?s mine!?

?You wish, Rasalla! I saw him first! And that?s my bra he?s got around his neck, isn?t it? You didn?t want to give him yours!?

Oh, Force.

?And my Master is soooo wonderfulllll!!
    And so great and wiiiiiiiissssse!
    And I don?t deserve hiiiiiimmmm!!

Qui-gon finally made it to the table Obi-Wan was standing on. ?Padawan!? he called out.

?And my Master?s sooo-? The boy stopped singing when he noticed Qui-Gon standing in front of him. ?Hi, Master!? he said, waving to the big Jedi with a goofy grin on his face.

?Obi-Wan, get down here this instant!? Qui-Gon demanded. He held his arms out, and that was all the invitation the boy needed.

?Okay!? Obi-Wan said. He dropped the voice amplifier and then launched himself off the table, straight into his Master?s waiting arms.

?Oof!? Qui-Gon staggered backwards against the sudden weight as his Padawan landed on him, fortunately managing to stay on his feet.

?Mmm, Master,? Obi-Wan murmured as he wrapped his arms around Qui-Gon?s neck and buried his face in his robe.

Qui-Gon reached up and quickly took the bras off of Obi-Wan?s neck, holding them up to the harem women. Two of them came timidly forward to claim their bras, and at least they had the grace to blush under Qui-Gon?s scrutinizing gaze. Then, with his Padawan still in his arms, he worked his way back through the crowd. It was slow going, because people kept coming up to him and telling him how much they had enjoyed Obi-Wan?s singing, or his dancing, or both. And how very cute he was, and how much they had enjoyed the party because of him, and how they just had to come back next year, and they usually followed their praise with an affectionate pat on the boy?s shoulder.

Finally Qui-Gon managed to make it out of the crowd, and quickly headed down the path toward their assigned quarters. He was glad that was over. He looked down at his Padawan, who had started giggling softly to himself. ?Master, Master, Master?? he began chanting softly.

?What is it, Obi-Wan?? Qui-Gon asked.

?It?s true, ya know.?

?What?s true??

?What I said, in my song. I?m a bad Padawan. Bad bad bad.?

Qui-Gon shook his head. ?No you?re not, Obi-Wan. Why do you say that??

?I don?t deserve you, Master. I pulled

20. Bastet

Dec 30, 1999
    Apparently this thing hates the end of the story, but I'm going to keep trying to post it. Bear with me!

:mad: [face_frustrated]

21. Bastet

Dec 30, 1999
    Okay, I'm just about to give up! :mad: [face_frustrated]

There's only two pages left, and my computer won't let me post them for some reason. Hopefully I'll get them up soon, once I figure out what's wrong.

22. PadawanKaterina

PadawanKaterina Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 1, 2005
    Argh! Don't ya hate computer gliches? :mad:

[face_laugh] Oh my gosh! I love what you've got posted! I don't really have time now, but I'll give you a full review tomorrow. Hopefully by then it'll let you post the rest. :)

23. Bastet

Dec 30, 1999
    Thanks PadawanKaterina! I'm glad you liked it! The only thing left to post is Obi's POV at the end, but everytime I try to post it, it takes 5 minutes, and then says the page cannot be displayed. I have no idea what's wrong, but I'm about to rip my hair out. Anyway, thanks for reading! :D

24. Bastet

Dec 30, 1999
    Okay, I officially give up for tonight. I hope I can get this thing to work tomorrow. [face_frustrated] :mad: [face_frustrated] :mad:

25. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    This is too funny!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.