main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Marx Brothers Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Darthkarma, Jun 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darthkarma

Darthkarma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2000

Does anyone here know who Groucho, Chico, Harpo and Zeppo are? Ever seen ANIMAL CRACKERS, DUCK SOUP, A DAY AT THE RACES or A NIGHT AT THE OPERA?

Did you know their long dormant fame received a gigantic boost in the 70s when college students discovered their films and made them popular all over again?

If you think Bill Murray and Adam Sandler can be cutting, you ought to see Groucho in action.

2. That_Flashing

That_Flashing Jedi Master star 5

Aug 22, 2000
    :eek:

I can't believe there are no replies to this! I love the Marx Brothers. They influenced so many comedic acts in the golden age of TV and Film. Saying they were Hollywood Pioneers would be an understatement.

My favorite movie would have to be Room Service.

3. AutumnFett

AutumnFett Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2002
    Oh..I'm so glad I came in here and saw this. I've been a big Marx bros fan for years! *hence my nick I use in "real life", Randi Marx* I've seen all their movies, of course. But my faves are by far, Horsefeathers, Duck Soup, and Monkey Business. I drive people crazy singing Chico's version of "I love you" from Horsefeathers. *laugh*

I'm just a Marx Bros junkie..

Margaret D: *I've sponsored your appointment, because I feel you are the most able statesman in all of Freedonia.*

Groucho: *That covers a lot of ground. say, you cover a lot of ground, yourself. I hear they're going to tear you down and put up an office building where you're standing now.*

4. Tod

Tod Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 1999
    At last a Marx Brothers thread. I've always loved them. It's too bad I can't find those later movies like Night at the Opera anywhere. Luckily I have still their first movies on video.

Groucho, Chico and Harpo are just best comedians ever. My father actually met Groucho when he was ten or something like that.

5. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    The Marx Brothers were truly a seminal act in comedy. And still one of the funniest acts ever. Zeppo was a nice straight man, but sadly the Marx Brothers needed no straight man, so he went the way of the dodo.

Harpo's always fun. Favorite moment:

Groucho: You can't burn the candle at both ends.

Harpo: *reaches into pocket, pulls out candle burning at both ends*

I love Chico too. His accent cracks me up and I'm a piano man myself so I appreciate his talent.

Groucho is simply one of the premier comic geniuses of the century. His timing, his banter, his wit: amazing.

My favorite film is Duck Soup (love the mirror scene) with a close second being A Night at the Opera (love the stateroom scene).

Just mentioning, for those interested, my AFI topic, which is going down the AFI's list of the 100 Funniest Films, will eventually open discussion on several of the Marx Brother's films. I'd love to have any and all of you show up to help us discuss them. I'll post a note in here, letting you know when what film is up for discussion. :D

6. Darthkarma

Aug 30, 2000

Cool! :)

One of my many favorite Groucho lines:

Regarding Margaret Dumont:
    "I'm fighting for your honor,
    which is more than you ever did!"

:) (If that's not EXACTLY it, it's pretty close.)

7. Spike_Spiegal

Spike_Spiegal Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    I love the Marx Bros.

Horsefeathers means so much to me since I'm in college. Probably my fav one.

8. Tod

Apr 29, 1999
    Chico: What'sa matta with me? I'm hungry. I didn't eat in three days.

Groucho: Three days? We've only been on the boat two days.

Chico: Well, I didn't eat yesterday, I didn't eat today, and I'm not gonna eat tomorrow...that makesa three days.

My favourite Marx-site is The Marx Brothers. This site contains all the info you could want or at least links to other sites. Of course Why A Duck? is perhaps most complete site but it's just too difficult to find anything there.

9. DarthYama

DarthYama Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2001
    I've only seen A Night At The Opera. The best part is when the Marx Brothers pretend to be the pilots, and Harpo wouldn't talk, and Chico made up stuff about running out of gas and having to fly back.

10. AutumnFett

AutumnFett Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2002
    This is so cool! I love this thread! Now I can tell this and have some folks who will appreciate this!

I've been a Marx Bros fan most of my life. Way back in 1977 two dj's from my town had a Marx Bros/sci fi/comedy convention, and I went. I met the two dj's (Foxx and Coyote *laugh*..or, Jim and Glenn)anyway.. Foxx was a Stooges fan, and Coyote was an Abbot and Costello fan, but still they knew all about the Marx Bros, of course, and showed some films on 35MM. Well, Foxx gives me this address where to write to Groucho in the summer of '77. I put it off. Groucho died the next month. Never wait for anything! I learned the hard way. So I never got Groucho's autograph. :_| . But then he gives me this other address for Zeppo. So I wrote, included a SASE, and I got a note back! I still have it and even still have the envelope, because even tho I had put my address on there with a typewriter, Zeppo had put a gold address label on the back. I had to keep that. It's just a "good luck" kind of greeting, then signed Zeppo Marx. Isn't that so cool?!!
    Just had to tell someone who would understand how cool it is. My fave is Harpo...well, I love them all, but there's something about Harpo..anyway...of course Harpo died way back in the early 60's. So sure didn't have a chance to write to him.

but anyway..that's one of my big regrets...waiting to send a letter to Groucho, because Foxx told me that if you sent a SASE, then Groucho would sign whatever ya sent and send it back. Again...never put anything off. YOu just never know.

Don't forget to post the thread about the movies!

*every time I try to talk you say-a nuthing...'at's a matta, you-a no speak, atsamatta...stoppa dat. whata you find? whatta you find?? stopa dat! oh you wanna fight,come on I fight-a you..HEY..uppa stairs dis time no down-a stairs!*

11. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    [face_laugh] That's one of my favorite scenes from Duck Soup! [face_laugh]

Great story. Sadly, most people wouldn't even know there was a Zeppo Marx. :D

12. Darthkarma

Aug 30, 2000

There's a book by Harpo called HARPO SPEAKS!

I think it's out of print.

It's amazing.

13. B'omarr

B'omarr Jedi Master star 6

Apr 7, 2000
    Wow, I never expected to see a Marx brothers topic.

I've been a big fan of theirs for years now. Horsefeathers is without a doubt one of the greatest comedies ever made, IMO.

There was actually a fifth Marx brother, Gummo, who was never in the movies, but he participated in their stage routines.

14. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    I've heard of him.

Anybody ever read any of Groucho's newspaper columns. They're a riot. If you ever get the chance, check them out.

15. Darthkarma

Aug 30, 2000

This is great...I am just glad some of you have even HEARD of the Marx Brothers!

I think they were so great because they had practiced their characters and performances for years and years in vaudeville. They didn't become movie stars until they were in their forties. That's why they were so great. By the time they made it big, they knew what they were doing.

Talk about bizarre...who would have ever thought a site primarily devoted to STAR WARS would have a Marx Brothers discussion!
    WOW!

16. Trika_Kenobi

Trika_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    I absolutely love the Marx brothers...

Hail, Hail, Freedonia...!

I'll say she is...

17. Darthkarma

Aug 30, 2000
    I'd like to see a scene on the DEATH STAR II with Emperor Palpatine and a visit from the Marx brothers. Can you imagine the comments Groucho would make about Palpy's complexion?

I'd like to see that somber agent from the MATRIX have his office visited by the Marx Brothers.

I'd like to see Bruce Lee fighting off the Marx Brothers. If would be interesting to watch Harpo play with nunchuks.

I'd like to see Indiana Jones take on the Marx Brothers. It would be interesting to see what they'd do with that whip.

You know with digital technology, anything is possible. :)

18. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Okay, y'all, if anyone is still watching this topic.

Monkey Business is up for discussion in my AFI Topic.

Do stop by and give your comments if you've seen it, fellow fans. :D

19. CloneofPhanan

CloneofPhanan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 2000
    Henry Jones, Sr. was right, as good as Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade is, it would have been hilarious had he mailed the grail diary to the Marx Brothers.

20. Darthkarma

Aug 30, 2000

Great catch!

I remember when I saw LAST CRUSADE I thought that showed some sharp writing on the part of Jeffrey Boam to include that Marx Brothers reference. It definitely fit the 30s, that's for sure!

21. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Okay, guys, Horse Feathers is up for discussion in my AFI Topic.

Do stop by and give your opinion of it, if you've seen it. :D

22. stecm

stecm Jedi Padawan star 4

May 3, 2002
    Duck Soup is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. I also liked A Night at the Opera

23. Khomeini_Ayatollah

Khomeini_Ayatollah Jedi Youngling

Feb 8, 2002
    A bit of Marx Bros trivia for you:

Although we never hear Harpo speak we do hear him sing. In Monkey Business, when they're in the barrels singing that song, there are definitely four people singing: Groucho, Chico, Zeppo and Harpo.

Mrs teesdale: You can't go with your trousers up!

Groucho: Oh yeah?! They'll never catch me the other way around!

24. Meldien

Meldien Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2002
    *absolutely LOVES the Marx Brothers* I'm in a state of utter bliss at this moment. I have been watching the Marx Brothers movies ever since I was yea tall *places hand and at random height...approximately 4'2"* I think my favorite is Night At The Opera.

Groucho: "Booga booga booga! How'd you like to feel the way she looks?"

*cracks up laughing* [face_laugh]

25. Tod

Apr 29, 1999
    Although we never hear Harpo speak we do hear him sing. In Monkey Business, when they're in the barrels singing that song, there are definitely four people singing: Groucho, Chico, Zeppo and Harpo.

That's one of the most debated questions concerning Marx films. And as far as I know it has never been confirmed that we really hear Harpo's voice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.