main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The music at the final scene in ROTS

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by REVANLORD, Nov 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. REVANLORD

REVANLORD Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2005
    Wow, my threads never last this long...

2. Ceethreepio

Ceethreepio Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 4, 2003
    I still think it should becalled "Binary Sunrise" for RotS

3. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    It's a sunset.

4. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    Indeed, Owen, Beru and Luke are watching the suns set at the very spot where Luke does 19 years later.

5. REVANLORD

REVANLORD Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2005
    That has some power to it, I think.

6. MasterObi-Wan-Kenobi

MasterObi-Wan-Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 6, 2002
    I thought the emperors arrival at the tower on coruscant in the rain was brilliant. . . shame it didn't make it to the disc.

7. Indiana_Fett

Indiana_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2004
    How could you tell that it was a sunrise, or a sunset?

8. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    well, even in the Star Wars universe with its wacky physics, I suppose suns have to come up on the horizon opposite to where they set. And two other undebatable sunsets were in the direction Owen and Beru look.

9. Ceethreepio

Ceethreepio Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 4, 2003
    To me it looks like a sunrise, but in the book its a sunset...*shrugs* It should be a sunrise because its a new day a new hope.

10. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Agreed but it was a great tribute

11. __Vader__

__Vader__ Jedi Master star 3

May 23, 2005
    As epic as the original Binary Sunset force theme rendition is, I prefer it in A New Hope and End Credits mostly because it preceeds the closing credits medley (Leias theme/Battle of the Heroes/The Throne room) which in my opinion is the best in the saga.

12. Liesl

Liesl Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    I liked how it incorporated snippets of songs that we all know from the OT when the characters (like Luke and Leia) were shown. I thought that was a nice touch.

13. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    "songs that we all know from the OT"

Like Jedi Rocks?

:p

Cues and tracks, my friend. ;)

14. NZPoe

NZPoe Jedi Master star 4

Nov 21, 2001
    Hearing the main theme at the very start of the last scene made me realize how much the prequels lack any renditions of what everyone knows as the "Star Wars theme".

This was my first and ONLY major complaint about the prequels and I'm still a little sorry to not here it more often.

I honestly truly think the movies would've performed slightly better if Joe and Mary Popcorn had gotten to hear that favourite melody a little more often.

15. YoungAngus

YoungAngus Jedi Master star 5

May 7, 2005
    I love it. The first 2-3 times I saw the movie I nearly froze from the chills. I love the cues of the Imp March and the part with Luke is the best. Great Stuff.

16. General_Kayman

General_Kayman Jedi Youngling

Nov 27, 2005
    GK edit: Sorry, posting links to copyrighted music files is not allowed.

17. LORDVIGILANCE

LORDVIGILANCE Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 11, 2005
    I don't mean to pull this thread off topic, but does anyone know what the choir sings during the scene involving both Padme and Qui-Gon's funeral?

I've always liked the slow pace to the music and I've never really looked but everytime I do I don't get anywhere. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :D

18. Sojourn

Sojourn Jedi Master star 2

Dec 31, 2005
    I'm not sure . . . I think that they may have felt overused after a while (for example, "Hedwig's Theme" in the first three Harry Potter films). The fact that John Williams used the music differently in the prequels helps to establish a different "feel" for them -- which works, as they are of a different era. In fact, there aren't a Rebel-like "heroes" in the prequels, a small band bravely fighting against an Empire of Galactic proportions, which I think is a lot of what the main theme stands for. Rather, the good guys are in the majority -- until the second half of Episode III, anyway. ;)

I feel like the prequels have music that shows the evolution of Williams's style and abilities -- I'm not sure if had there been a scene in IV, V, or VI like the "Order 66" sequence ("Anakin's Betrayal" on the official soundtrack) in Episode III, whether such a moving and fitting piece would have been written for it at the time. And after all, Episode III feels very different from the other movies, especially the original trilogy. I'm not sure how much of this has to do with the music, but overall, it feels like the approach was to make a very different Star Wars movie than the ones which had been made before. After all, it, unlike the other films (except possibly Episode V), is a tragedy. It is much darker and somber than those others. And the music not only reflects that, but helps to create it.

What do you all think?

Take care,
    Sojourn

19. _darthlanccarta66_

_darthlanccarta66_ Jedi Youngling

Jan 16, 2006
    GK edit: Sorry, that's not allowed.

20. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    A MIDI file of Padme's Funeral has been uploaded to David Vincent's Music by John Williams site. It's synthesized, but it's a start.

21. Indiana_Fett

Dec 12, 2004
    Buying it?[face_worried]

And Cerrabore...How much music do we need left?

22. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    There is about half an hour of unreleased music.

23. Indiana_Fett

Dec 12, 2004
    So how many more minutes do we need left?[face_praying]

24. Jedi-Washington

Jedi-Washington Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2003
    I must agree that it was amazing, but the ANH version was much better. Hate to say it, but a recent John Williams interview by The Hollywood Reporter, he said:

( Link, it's a good read)

I'd have to agree with him. The performance might have been amazing in the hall, but there is some sparkle to the old recordings that just isn't there with the Prequals. It's almost as if the recording it too perfect. One of the large disadvantages of modern scoring. It's one reason why I don't like listening to Hans Zimmer music or any other sampler based composer, no matter how good it is.

~JW

25. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    We need minutes of music?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.