main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation The Music of Star Wars Episode VII

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by -polymath-, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Plebeian

Plebeian Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Jeremy Soule, the "John Williams of video game music" could pull it off.
    He did rather well with KotOR and such..

The Railway Man and FinleySlade like this.
  2. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    Video games do require different skills, though. Is he qualified to do movies? Has he done any movie scores?

3. Plebeian

Plebeian Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Not too many it seems, I'd say he's likely qualified though.

4. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    Whoa! :eek:
    According to his IMDB page John Williams is 80 years old and still composing. (he did the music for 'Lincoln') His volume of movies has obviously slowed down and aparrently the last movie soundtrack he's conducted has been 'Tintin'...but as long as his health stays in check, his writing another 5-6 songs would not be unthinkable in 3 years...just think about it. Two or three more character themes, one more villain theme, one more battle theme, and maybe a love theme. Just fill in the rest with current music/a good composer of orchestral scores who can emulate the style. C'mon, that couldn't be too hard, could it? [face_praying]

5. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    As long as JW is alive and well, he will undoubtedly be doing the music for these movies.
    IF he should fall ill, they'll likely bring in a composer who is well-versed in JW's works and the style of his compositions - someone, perhaps, who has also been greatly inspired by Tchaikovsky, Hollywood Golden Age composers and others, just like JW himself. In short, someone who knows how to do Star Wars.
    Whatever happens, Star Wars will remain Star Wars. That is my firm belief.

Here's to JW's good health!
    /LM

The-Eternal-Hero likes this.
  6. the_sinister_hologram

the_sinister_hologram Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 3, 2012
    What about Clint Bajakian? The man responsible for the music of Star Wars: Dark Forces (1994 first-person shooter)?

Let's give a few examples (I won't embed the videos here because it will make the post too crowded and long and instead link the youtube videos):
    PS: Also I will link more videos here, so that you won't have to do the search.

Dark Forces Intro and Theme
    Kyle Katarn's Theme
    Secret Base
    After the Massacre
    The Subterranean Hideout
    Imperial Weapons Research Facility
    The Blood Moon
    Crix Madine's Fate
    Jabba's Revenge
    Escape From the Star Jewel
    The Stowaway Onboard the Executor
    The Dark Awakening
    The Final Battle

Generally speaking I think that Dark Forces had one of the best soundtracks of any non-movie products related to Star Wars.
    The way it is composed, the music has its "retro" feel, much more closer to the OT soundtrack rather than the majestic trumpet-fest of the PT.
    On a side note, I eventually got very bored with the PT epic-choir over the music. It is way too overused nowadays. Instruments alone can sound epic by themselves. If done right.
    The music score will also be one of the decisive factors influencing the audience's overall perception of the movie. I hope that we will get some of the classic SW feeling, with a more dark tone to it. But I know the chances are slim...

7. Kalontas

Kalontas Jedi Youngling

Nov 2, 2012
    We definitely should get John Williams. At the very least, keep some of his iconic scores, like the intro roll or the imperial march.

8. Jair Crawford

Jair Crawford Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 3, 2012
    Everyone involved with making the movie should do whatever they can to get John Williams on board. This is going to be Episode 7. I had a hard enough time in the theater watching TCW movie and cringing due to the lack of JW. They gotta try really hard to get him on board.

9. Killer B Dunc

Killer B Dunc Jedi Youngling

Nov 1, 2012
    Trent Reznor?

10. darthtuttle

darthtuttle Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2004
    Howard shore or jon williams

11. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Don't see why Williams couldn't do it... he hasn't retired yet has he?

12. aeods

aeods Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 3, 2004
    I was under the impression that the Fox Fanfare was being kept?

13. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I think they'll bring back Williams at least for VII. I hope they let Kevin Kiner take over of JW doesn't go on.

14. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    Verdi was composing grand operas into his 80's. Age means nothing.

15. the_sinister_hologram

the_sinister_hologram Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 3, 2012
    I believe you may be right here. If the theme of the new trilogy will be about "passing the torch", it may be in more ways than one. First of all Skywalker, then Lucas passing the torch to others, then John Williams "training" a new "apprentice" in the ways of music composing. The new trilogy is going to be about change. Whether good or bad, we won't know until the release day. Hopefully good :)

16. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    We. Don't need any of John williams music, those tracks are reserved for the Palpatine saga. Let a new composer be creative & create a new theme & new themes for new characters. John Williams has done enough. The franchise needs new blood.

17. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    The first thing I'll say is please not Hans Zimmer. I like his scores but they are too synthetic for Star Wars. Given Howard Shore's work on the Tolkien movies (can't wait to hear what he comes up with for The Hobbit), he seems like the obvious choice. Another would be Michael Giacchino though I wonder if it would be weird having a Trek composer do Star Wars.

I certainly agree with the sentiment that as long as Williams is alive and composing, he should be doing Star Wars. He's semi-retired, only doing Spielberg movies though if Lucas asked I'm sure he'd come back for more Star Wars. If it isn't Williams, then any new composer will have a duty to adhere to the styles Williams employed for Star Wars, at least for the sequel trilogy. Once Episode IX is done and they start getting into individual character movies, I think there's room for experimentation but any movie with an episode number attached needs to be in the Williams style.

18. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    Its time to expand the brand, bring in new talent, many artist love Star Wars new people should be given a shot. This new movie doesn't have to be like any of the 6 in the Palpatine Saga, there are many new people they could involve

19. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    That seems to be the plan but they're not going to risk another polarizing shock like TPM or TCW. They want a new audience but they want a young-adult, adult & family new audience, they want all those "SW Dads" and "SW Moms" to being their kids and so on. There's no way they'll just jettison Williams and all of his work for the first new SW feature in a decade. That would be suicide.

The message will be "Look, we made the movie you wanted to come out in '99!! It's okay, it's safe, come back, please, we have George Lucas under control!! In fact, in Theater 22 you can see his new experimental film Arcadia 1122334455 Mantra, showing once daily, if you want more of his stuff. But Star Wars is nice & safe, no craziness, we promise!!"

FinleySlade likes this.
  20. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    Star Wars is about the brand & the universe. One monkey does not stop the show. Williams is not needed, people may lust for his return, but he is not needed. No one from the Palpatine Saga is needed, that includes any character from the PT & OT. The Galaxy is such a BIG PLACE. Its tons of planets, we have not even seen yet. Williams has made his mark & I appreciate him, but movie needs nothing from the Palpatine Saga. Just a great story & great character development is all required.

21. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    But 99% of the potential audience only knows the original movies and the prequels. There's no way they're going to risk educating this audience in the arcane "expanded universe" when they can just get a slam-dunk, a blindingly obvious slam-dunk at that. I will be completely shocked if they do anything other than update ANH with a dash of ESB's "darkness". The point here is to broaden the audience. Throwing some strange thing at us and just labeling it SW would be insane. Lucas got away with the PT because it was the first real SW in 16 years and he kept saying it would all end after RotS. Now? There's no way any of these new people will risk the potential SW riches on a complete retooling. Down the line? They're already promising the stuff. Right now? "Episode VII" speaks for itself. Expect the predictable.

And JW is not a "monkey". He will be essential to wooing back fans who didn't like the PT or TCW.

22. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    Forget people who didn't like PT, bluray sales say those people are not important. I've never seen TCW movie & never will. The same could be said about this so called Ep 7 if done wrong, ill never see it.

23. codex of tython

codex of tython Jedi Knight

Nov 4, 2012
  24. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Well if Williams isn't coming back... Hans Zimmer?

25. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    As much as I hate to admit it JW's scores the last several years have been less than stellar but my goodness - Jaws, Star Wars, Close Encounters, Superman, Empire Strikes Back, Raiders of the Lost Ark, E.T., Return of the Jedi in a row! Temple of Doom's score wasn't bad either.

Back to the issue at hand. Who next? I think Howard Shore's LOTR masterpiece is a close second to the Star Wars score collection so he'd be my first choice. Alan Silvestri, James Horner also come to mind. Yes, I'm a big fan of James Horner. Not afraid to admit it.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.